gleninjersey

I DON'T NEED LIGHTS FOR MY FIREARMS: CHANGE MY MIND

Received this morning - seemed too logical to not have one. It came with the “Glock/Universal” key already installed and it snapped right on, seems rock solid. I’ve heard that the TLR-1 can take the finish off the PVD in the spots that its clipped on, but I’m not overly concerned with that. Anyone else with P229’s/Legions find that one of the other keys provides a tighter fit? Obviously, I haven’t shot with the light installed yet. 
C20498C4-AE21-407A-A6C7-65F912A27EC9.thumb.jpeg.7afdb27b0fc8157d53b4b733c879496d.jpeg

Nah, just push it towards front then tighten.
Works fine on my Legion P229.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

Since having the light, the ambient on the sides more than provides enough light to easily use the sights. So why even bother with night sites?  It seems if it’s dark enough for night sights, it’s too dark to make out the target. 

Sound logic.  But I can see uses for night sights. Everything fails, or intermittent light use, or.. dude! they fricken glow in the dark! How cool is that! Jus sayen 

There is a short period every day at dawn and dusk, and under certain indoor lighting conditions, where tritium night sights are very useful. They call it Mesopic Lighting Conditions. Nightsights are also a useful reference if you are in a static position of advantage/dominance and wish to line up your sights on a backlit area without giving your position away.

That being said, if I could only have one I would choose:

1) Weapon mounted light

2) Handheld light

3) Nightsights

In order of importance in my opinion.

Link to another NJGF Thread on nightsights where I talked about this very topic. Still tangentially relevant to this discussion:

Photo example of mesopic lighting conditions:

ApDd0xT.jpg

Note the bright - but not overpowering - tritium and the ability to still see the outline of the iron sights. You can see the outline of the white body silhouette and the black box inside without the use of a white light.

Edited by High Exposure
Added photo and description of mesopic lighting conditions.
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

There is a short period every day at dawn and dusk, and under certain indoor lighting conditions, where tritium night sights are very useful. They call it Mesopic Lighting Conditions. Nightsights are also a useful reference if you are in a static position of advantage/dominance and wish to line up your sights on a backlit area without giving your position away.

That being said, if I could only have one I would choose:

1) Weapon mounted light

2) Handheld light

3) Nightsights

In order of importance in my opinion.

Link to another NJGF Thread on nightsights where I talked about this very topic. Still tangentially relevant to this discussion:

Glad that discussion could come in handy. Should sticky the info you shared. Plenty of clueless folks such as myself. Now i have both night sights AND WMLs lol.

• Like 1

I could just as easily try and change your mind like the fine folks before me, but why beat a dead horse?  Instead I'll just show you a picture of my gorgeous 1911 with my now discontinued Olight.  I was just trying to get something that matched the G10 Grips, what I ended up with was probably the most badass weapons' light I could find. 

IMG_3425.JPG

What ever happened to Black Sheep?  Really cool guy.  I went to meet him and bought his snow blower a while back...

Having the opinion of LEO on here means alot to me.  They have the correct answers most of the time as they are living it.  I always wondered if it now bothers them more now that we can carry....:scratchhead:

Well, since it is necropostes, this may be a good place to put this -

Joe Riedy of Sights & Trigger is holding his low light class Sat 11/11 in Lehigh PA for any of you doubters. And for the  elievers that want to make sure their shit works the way they think it will.

Not a lot of outdoor ranges around NJ allow this type of training - so this is a rare opportunity to experience it.

It’s a great class for low-lights noobs and experienced folks alike to get a chance to fight the “dark monster”.

You will compare gear, learn techniques, figure out your switchology, and evaluate what works.

I go every year and I learn something new each time. I will be there.

Here is Joe’s class ad. It’s open enrollment now. 

“More than half of all armed encounters occur in conditions of reduced lighting, but how many of us really get to train in these conditions? Whether you keep a gun in your home for defense are a concealed carry holder or carry a gun for a living, this class will provide you with the skills you need to prevail in reduced light encounters. Low light training opportunities do not happen very often get in on it while you can.

On November 11th S&T Training & Consulting LLC will be holding a Low Light Pistol/Carbine Class at the Lehigh Township Police Range. Cost is $175.00 plus a $25.00 range fee for a total of $200.00 per person. Class size is limited. Start time is 1200 and we will end at approximately 2000.   PLEASE NOTE:  This class will fill quickly!  At this time, I have opened this class to friends of S&T and not announced it publicly in order to give you first shot at attendance.

This course is designed for the armed professional or the armed citizen who takes his or her safety and security seriously. It will cover the techniques and tactics needed to prevail in a low light situation. 

Topics include firearms safety as it relates to professional gun handling in real world situations, sight alignment and sight picture, trigger control, stance, grip, draw, reloading, malfunction clearances, flashlight techniques and tactical considerations, use of cover and equipment selection.

Weapon & Gear Class Requirements: 
- Eye and Ear Protection (a baseball style hat is also recommended)
- Serviceable handgun
- Serviceable rifle/carbine with sling and weapon mounted light
- Serviceable holster (no cross draw, shoulder holsters, or Serpa holsters unless it is an issued duty rig) 
- Magazine or speed loader pouch 
- Minimum of three serviceable magazines for rifle and pistol
- 300 rounds of ammunition for pistol and rifle
- Quality flashlight. You will need a handheld light, weapon mounted lights are also welcome 
- Clothing suitable for range activity and the prevailing weather conditions 

For more information contact [email protected]