Sign in to follow this  
Peter Goldwing

Houston, we have a problem !

I travel the country East to West and North to South and all around on motorcycle with my wife. The word is that we'll be traveling to Alaska. As always, for peace of mind we'd like to carry a gun or two along. The only problems we have in the contiguous US are 12 states  but we deal with them transporting under Code 18/926A which is a bit more relaxed than what NJ has with regards to transporting.

Canada is  more restrictive.  You cannot import  "prohibited" handguns which includes most  of the guns with a barrel less than 4.1 inch. Fortunately I have a Beretta 92 FS which is a  "restricted gun" . To transport it thru Canada one needs  Authorization To Transport ATT and  Firearm declaration form. No problem. Easily done. Except, if you're not Canadian resident you have to call Chief Firearm Officer for the province you want to enter the country to get a mailing address. A few years ago I did call and they told me I would only receive the ATT if I was to permanently move to Alaska.

I see this rule made up,as they feel like, because I couldn't find it black on white. I will try again, who knows maybe I get another guy on the phone who is not paranoid about guns.

I have a few Canadian friends and according to them it really depends on where you are going through.  If you are going through the Vancouver BC area you’ll get jammed up.  Believe it or not Canada is very similar to the US in that city people hate firearms and country people have a better more tool like view of them.  The big difference is that there is no 2a there so the pols can jam you up with more inpugnity.  In the Canadian woods a lot of people carry to protect themselves from bear and moose.

17 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

I have a few Canadian friends and according to them it really depends on where you are going through.  If you are going through the Vancouver BC area you’ll get jammed up.  Believe it or not Canada is very similar to the US in that city people hate firearms and country people have a better more tool like view of them.  The big difference is that there is no 2a there so the pols can jam you up with more inpugnity.  In the Canadian woods a lot of people carry to protect themselves from bear and moose.

I hunt in Canada twice a year with a group of retired Canadian military guys.  Nobody is allowed to carry handguns except LEO and military.  According to the RCMP in order to carry for protection in the woods:

"In general, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection are non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The following individuals, provided they are Canadian residents and have a licence that allows them to possess restricted firearms, may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection:

• licensed professional trappers, and
  • individuals who need protection from wild animals while working at their lawful occupation, most often in a remote wilderness location."

I would recommend mailing your handgun from the last CONUS state you will be traveling through prior to entering Canada to yourself at a location in Alaska and doing the reverse for the return trip.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

I would recommend mailing your handgun from the last CONUS state you will be traveling through prior to entering Canada to yourself at a location in Alaska and doing the reverse for the return trip.

THIS^^^^^^

I have a customer that drives from NJ to Alaska every few years and brings several long guns and handguns with him. He ships the handguns and their magazines from Montana to Alaska and reverse on the way back. I think handgun ammo is also an issue in Canada. Long guns were OK if they were hunting style and he did the paperwork for them ahead of time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

I hunt in Canada twice a year with a group of retired Canadian military guys.  Nobody is allowed to carry handguns except LEO and military.  According to the RCMP in order to carry for protection in the woods:

"In general, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection are non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The following individuals, provided they are Canadian residents and have a licence that allows them to possess restricted firearms, may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection:

• licensed professional trappers, and
  • individuals who need protection from wild animals while working at their lawful occupation, most often in a remote wilderness location."

He never said it was legal or not.

He just said that they do.

If a hillbilly (tree) carries a gun (falls) in the forest and no one is around, does he get arrested (make a sound)?

I have a buddy who pulled a travel trailer into Canada in the 80's or 90's. At the boarder he declared the shotgun which at the time was OK without paperwork I recall (may be wrong). The boarder official was most interested in handguns.
I'd take the sage advice of shipping to yourself from lower 48 to yourself at an AK address. The ammo you can buy at the first store you find or ship it separately.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:41 PM, galapoola said:

I have a buddy who pulled a travel trailer into Canada in the 80's or 90's. At the boarder he declared the shotgun which at the time was OK without paperwork I recall (may be wrong). The boarder official was most interested in handguns.
I'd take the sage advice of shipping to yourself from lower 48 to yourself at an AK address. The ammo you can buy at the first store you find or ship it separately.

Shipping ammo to AK is problematic. Ammo can only be shipped ground and most carriers only ship air to AK