DirtyDigz

Small rapid-access long gun safe for garage?

I've got a home gym in my garage.  Frequently I like to work out with the garage door open.  My gym area also happens to be about the maximum possible distance away from my firearms storage.

I'm a couple of miles away from a rough area.  Luckily my street is very lightly trafficked, but I still am concerned about someone rolling up with ill intent while I'm working out.

Are there any small safes that can store one long gun and one hand gun, are "rapid access" (keypad or pushbutton, no biometrics), and can still be bolted to wall/floor that I should take a look at?

Not the cheapest but one of the best...Link to safe

An article from Lucky Gunner....Lucky Gunner

Quote,

"If I had to pick a favorite, out of these six safes, it would probably be the V-Line Rifle Case. The major selling point for me is the Simplex mechanical lock. This is a proven, reliable design that’s been around since the 1960s. There are no batteries or anything, just enter the code and turn the knob. Inside here, there’s enough space for a single rifle or shotgun with a velcro strap to prevent the gun from falling out. It’s a simple, straightforward gun locker that’s easy to use and there’s not much to go wrong in a high-stress situation."

40 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Stackon has a nifty rifle length in the wall lock box.  Since you have a gym in the garage, you could mount a cheap dressing room length type mirror on a hinge covering the lock box.  Hidden in plain sight.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. It comes in both a keyed version and a digital version. I believe @Zeke was considering one. I have the keyed version and believe in the "hiding in plain sight" plan.

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Are there any small safes that can store one long gun and one hand gun, are "rapid access" (

Do a quick search for "concealment furniture" or similar search. I personally don't like gun safes that look like gun safes. Anyone stranger who sees them, knows what's in them. There are some different types of cabinets that can be utilized where no one will know it's a gun safe, but still give you easy access.

I have kids. When I get them on the bus in the morning, the trigger lock comes off of the 12g and goes by my car keys. When I leave for work 8 hours later, the lock goes back on. 

If I worked out in my open garage, near a bad neighborhood, I would not even bother with a safe.

I would keep a loaded 12g pump nearby. After my workout, I would put a trigger lock on it and bring it back in the house.

If bad guys are going to pounce, they will pounce quickly. I doubt I could get into a safe quickly enough to counter the threat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Close the door.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I know, but it farging sucks in there without some ventilation.  I'm also looking into a garage-wide screen that would conceal the inside from the outside.

On the other replies - thanks!   I like the idea of an in-wall cabinet behind a mirror, but I have concrete block walls so that's not an option.  I remember hearing about NJ concealment furniture, I'll go look them up.

3 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Not the cheapest but one of the best...Link to safe

An article from Lucky Gunner....Lucky Gunner

Quote,

"If I had to pick a favorite, out of these six safes, it would probably be the V-Line Rifle Case. The major selling point for me is the Simplex mechanical lock. This is a proven, reliable design that’s been around since the 1960s. There are no batteries or anything, just enter the code and turn the knob. Inside here, there’s enough space for a single rifle or shotgun with a velcro strap to prevent the gun from falling out. It’s a simple, straightforward gun locker that’s easy to use and there’s not much to go wrong in a high-stress situation."

Liking this one, thanks JB!

17 hours ago, dajonga said:

I have kids. When I get them on the bus in the morning, the trigger lock comes off of the 12g and goes by my car keys. When I leave for work 8 hours later, the lock goes back on. 

If I worked out in my open garage, near a bad neighborhood, I would not even bother with a safe.

I would keep a loaded 12g pump nearby. After my workout, I would put a trigger lock on it and bring it back in the house.

If bad guys are going to pounce, they will pounce quickly. I doubt I could get into a safe quickly enough to counter the threat.

+1

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones...

• Like 1