MartyZ

disposing of old gasoline

I like the bonfire idea.

I remember my freshman year at Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute IN

We built a multi-hundred railroad tie pyre, had a fuel oil guy drench it in 100 gal of #2, and poured 5 gal of gasoline on it.

Only took 1 match to set it ablaze.

Big time bonfire!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 9:23 PM, njJoniGuy said:

I like the bonfire idea.

I remember my freshman year at Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute IN

We built a multi-hundred railroad tie pyre, had a fuel oil guy drench it in 100 gal of #2, and poured 5 gal of gasoline on it.

Only took 1 match to set it ablaze.

Big time bonfire!!!!!!

No kidding?!    

RHIoT Chem here.    Our alma mater  knows how to build a bonfire!   And how to light it.  The first video was from the only homecoming I went back for.   A VERY impressive start to the fire (though it's not my video).  The second was found on the web, and shows an impressively accurate trebuchet shot of a flaming mass to start the fire.  I suspect the college rifle team was involved.

Rose-Hulman bonfire, explosive ignition

Rose-Hulman bonfire, flaming trebuchet shot

On 9/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, Handyman said:

Only 5 gallons? That's like $17 bucks. Pour it down the drain and make it the sewage treatment plant's problem.

c82250e7d6267b47ac9caac9878bca00.jpg

On 9/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, Nucrunner said:

He’s Kidding! (I hope)

SHITTER'S FULL!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I have a container of gas and one with gas & oil. Not sure which is which. I don't want to mix them up. Is it a bad idea to use it as weed killer?

Pour both into your car together, the gas/oil mix smoke will help kill the mosquitoes in the neighborhood. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I have a container of gas and one with gas & oil. Not sure which is which. I don't want to mix them up. Is it a bad idea to use it as weed killer?

Dump an ounce of each onto paper towels and let it evaporate. One will leave oily residue on the towel

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Use it to light a pallet bonfire

In Jersey? Lol not many places you can get away with that. Even here in Glassboro they are known to shut bonfires down with the FD. Apparently the neighbor got a fine for having one that was on the ground and not contained with a screen over it (ie home depot fire pit things). And were in a fairly quiet area, hes on almost 2 acres and we are on a bit over 3.

I've been burning off old gas in my mower that I pumped out of an old boat I scrapped about 5 years ago, it runs fine in the mowers, generators, pressure washer, etc. I wasn't sure how much two stroke oil was in it but there is some but it don't smoke and runs fine. I've got another 55 gallon drum with gas my neighbor pumped out of his motor home after it sat for 3 years, I've been running it in my old pickup a little at a time all summer. It runs fine.

What I do is shake up a sample, pour some into glass jar, and if it don't separate overnight, its good to.

On 9/17/2018 at 0:22 PM, 10X said:

Dump an ounce of each onto paper towels and let it evaporate. One will leave oily residue on the towel

It wasn't an ounce of each. The one on the left sneaked up on me. I can't tell if the one on the left is darker or more oily than the other or I'm just perceiving it that way because there was more gas. 

20180919_141914.jpg

On 9/19/2018 at 2:23 PM, ChrisJM981 said:

It wasn't an ounce of each. The one on the left sneaked up on me. I can't tell if the one on the left is darker or more oily than the other or I'm just perceiving it that way because there was more gas. 

20180919_141914.jpg

The one on the left has a much more distinct smell. The one on the right hardly had an odor at all. I'm not sure why though...