1LtCAP

this is why

you should NEVER let your gas tank go below half. ever.

most gas stations have maybe.............MAYBE..........4 to 8 thousand gallons of fuel in the ground. that's only a couple days to a week considering regular business. then add in a panic.....you're outta gas in a day or two.

that is all.

woulda bee nice if i'd put the link in the op, lololol

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2018/09/11/fuel-prices-shortages-rising-as-hurricane-florence-speeds-to-us-coast/23524331/

• Like 1

Maybe keep.two gas cans.  One for house use and other as "just in case".   Rotate them so they are fresh.

I take mass transit for work and hardly drive.  I should really keep my car full.  It just sits there most of the time but it would gurantee we have an extra tank worth of gas all the time.

One of the criteria for my current car was to run on regular. Better supply, but easier sharing with my gas powered equipment. 

Have several gas cans. Especially for hurricane season, we usually get a week warning of anything. So I fill them and dump one into my car each week if it turns out the generator didn't need them. 

• Like 1

I have 25 gallons total in cans.

I keep looking for a reasonable priced tank that I could get that's larger, and could mount on small trailer, like from harbor freight.  Figure 150 gallons of storage would about max out the weight capacity.  Now to find a tank that big that is reasonably priced.

Just decided to go do that digging again, as I am wont to do on occasion.  a 91 gallon tank (no pump) is about $600 before shipping/taxes.  at $20 per 5gal plastic jerry can, that's only $364 for an equal amount of capacity.  as convenient/cool it would be to do a dedicated fuel trailer with a big tank (or 2), it'd just be way cheaper to get a shitload of jerry cans, and keep some filled all the time, and fill the others when Big Things are afoot.

(note to self: buy a couple more jerry cans this year.)

eta: walmart has 'em for $12...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scepter-5-gal-Gas-Can-Red/24225514

buy 3, get free shipping.

yea the michelle obama spouts really suck at doling out fuel, but if you're just wanting more for SHTF prepping, they should be fine. I'll probably not have all of them filled at once (i'll have 7 once this order is done) and just keep 2 or 3 filled at any time.  If something big decides to work its way up the coast again, I'll fill the rest early on.

Hurricane Sandy was an eye-opener for many people in New Jersey and other areas.  If they had forgotten the lessons learned from that storm then there is no excuse.  

As a husband and a father, it is my responsibility to plan for the worst and hope for the best. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Hurricane Sandy was an eye-opener for many people in New Jersey and other areas.  If they had forgotten the lessons learned from that storm then there is no excuse.  

As a husband and a father, it is my responsibility to plan for the worst and hope for the best. 

The bees

boolits, batteries, beans, beer

• Like 1

Note, regular gas will work fine in a premium vehicle.  The computer will adjust accordingly.

Depends on the vehicle... something with a turbo/supercharger, if it says Premium, put in Premium.

Even if it just recommences Premium, best to look in the manual and see what the manufacturer says a lower grade will result in. Most will say something along the lines of reduced engine performance/mileage.

And to add, it might be worth it to get Plus over Regular... especially if you are going to swap it out for lawnmowers other small engines. Plus doesn’t have Ethanol, so keeps the valves cleaner.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:44 PM, Screwball said:

Depends on the vehicle... something with a turbo/supercharger, if it says Premium, put in Premium.

Even if it just recommences Premium, best to look in the manual and see what the manufacturer says a lower grade will result in. Most will say something along the lines of reduced engine performance/mileage.

And to add, it might be worth it to get Plus over Regular... especially if you are going to swap it out for lawnmowers other small engines. Plus doesn’t have Ethanol, so keeps the valves cleaner.

Good points.Thx.

I don’t think any gas stations sell non ethanol fuel in NJ..  If you know of one please post it..  

• Like 1

Since moving out into the "country" where the closest 24/7 gas station is like 5 to 10 miles away, you learn to keep at least 10 to 20 gallons of gasoline in cans.  Lawn tractor, all the gas lawncare equipment and the wife who has a habbit of testing when the empty light really is empty. 

As far as using gas in a premium car... keep in mind most premium called for is 91, so 89 is not bad and most will adjust just fine.

In my older E320 (v6, non turbo), car calls for premium but actually gets better mileage on regular... and no issues otherwise.

Yes, performance may drop.... but who is drag racing them?

Plus and High Test has the same percentage of ethanol as Regular in New Jersey.

• Sad 1

My wife gets pissy when I look at her fuel gauge and it is below a half.  As for regular gas in a car requiring premium? I bought my wife a Toyota Celica. Se had to drive it 60 miles home, she put regular in it...ran like crap. I told only premium, it ran great.