Bully

Any Wood Workers on Here?

Anyone in Northern Jersey/Bergen County that does serious hobby woodworking?  I have a piece of walnut that needs to be squared up and I for sure don't have the equipment.  I'd like to plane 2 sides and run one over a jointer.  
The piece is 3'L x 6"W x 2"T.

I also have another piece that i need to cut a couple of slices out of and have one side planed on each piece. 
That piece is 2'L x 4"W x 2"T

Any help is appreciated.  

In New Jersey??? I'm not sure approaching a high school (or vo-tech) in BERGEN COUNTY to seek help making a GUN STOCK is really a good idea. Isn't that Weinberg Country? You'll be posting from your prison computer. :D  

Why don't you try a woodworking forum also? This one - http://www.woodcentral.com/ -   seems to have NJ members (or at least I saw some older msgs in archives where a Jerseyan was looking for local stores with woodworking supplies). So, maybe you could find a local hobbyist on there? Sign up, make a post, see who replies. 5 mins of your time - probably worth trying.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

In New Jersey??? I'm not sure approaching a high school (or vo-tech) in BERGEN COUNTY to seek help making a GUN STOCK is really a good idea. Isn't that Weinberg Country? You'll be posting from your prison computer. :D  

Now you did it,  The politicians will now require us to get permits for chain saws as we will be able to cut a length of wood and shape it into the form of a rifle stock in which we will be able to mount the action of a rifle.   Who will be left when they come for my woodworking tools.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, revenger said:

Now you did it,  The politicians will now require us to get permits for chain saws as we will be able to cut a length of wood and shape it into the form of a rifle stock in which we will be able to mount the action of a rifle.   Who will be left when they come for my woodworking tools.

No one will speak for us

34 minutes ago, alec.mc said:

I can help, 8 inch powermatic jointer, 13 inch planer, table saw, etc etc

Woodbridge nj

PM me

This is probably the best move for you Chris 

I have the stuff to do it too but I'm gonna bet Alec's stuff is ready to go and much more accessible -- and he's closer to you 

18 hours ago, fishnut said:

Do those even exist any more? If my high school had a wood shop I actually would have gone to class. 

I graduated HS in 2008 and woodshop was certainly not an option. That room didn't exist. Wish it did, because my "woodworking" expertise goes about as far as being able to hammer some nails into a 2x4... 

Smh i wish. I think our middle school had it when i attended but i transferred in mid year and lost the option to do it. HS had nothing fun, i graduated in 2011 as well.

We had a few electronics classes screwing around with bread boards and such, a silkscreening class, and some computer courses fixing computers etc.

I honestly remember nothing that i learned from those classes but much better than taking spanish or history senior year... lol

Woodshop has gone the way of the High School shooting teams. My grandfather used to walk to school with his 22 rifle to shoot with his high school. I'm pretty sure your mot even allowed to say rifle within a half mile of a school anymore

1 hour ago, Old School said:

Oh and Mrs.Peel - I hope your comment was tongue in cheek...

My comment was mostly tongue in cheek... but, I admit, not entirely. I just think if he approaches a school with that idea he should really think it through beforehand, be prepared for pushback, etc. You must admit, there is a tendency these days for people (particularly school administrators) to seriously overreact to anything gun-related. We've seen enough of those stories linked right on these forums... schools questioning kids because their day at the range was posted on Facebook, etc. There's a real McCarthy era vibe about ostracizing gun owners right now... it just pays to be aware of that and be strategic, that's all.

So, kinda joking, kinda not! And...sorry, not sorry. What can I say? I'm a pragmatist and as I see it, that's the reality of our world right now.  

Certainly NOT that I would want Chris to be the subject of a NJ.com article. 

But...#1 I think your view is kind of paranoid and #2 without push back we're letting the firearms phobic win.

And lastly, nowhere did the OP say anything about fashioning a gun stock.

Congrats Brett Kavanaugh!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old School said:

Certainly NOT that I would want Chris to be the subject of a NJ.com article. We agree!

But...#1 I think your view is kind of paranoid eh, am I kind of paranoid, or just a realist...? open to debate, I guess and #2 without push back we're letting the firearms phobic win. Well, I do mostly agree with this. If it was a gun project, I'm not saying he shouldn't approach a school, just that anyone doing so would be well advised to think it through, anticipate the school's concerns, have polite answers at-the-ready, etc. I don't really know the OP... judging from his posts, I would guess he would do those things anyway.

And lastly, nowhere did the OP say anything about fashioning a gun stock. Now on this point, I looked back at the post and you are, in fact, 100 percent correct. My mistake! I know from other posts that he's building guns and assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was a stock project.

Congrats Brett Kavanaugh! Again, agree! :D

So...

I am heading to a local "maker-space" that is on a monthly subscription basis.  @alec.mc and @Zeke have offered to help but they are, honestly, a bit too far for me.  The maker-space is a quick 15 minute drive from my home and is open 7 days a week.  They have more than enough tooling to get me going .  Seems like they're nice enough gents that can and will help with any questions I have about the machines.  I can also do several other things there that have been sleeping in the "shop" for a bit.  Maybe I can actually clear some of the half done projects off my bench and see some stuff thru.  

@Old School take it easy on @Mrs. Peel.  She's a PR whiz and sees things from all angles.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old School said:

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

You should take Bully up on his Loaner Rifle Opportunity.

I've seen a woman win two classes In long distance to 800yds. Taking the State Championship.

Oh, I'm going shooting with him this month as a matter of fact. :) When fellow shooters are kind and generous enough to offer to try new shooting experiences, I accept... shamelessly and without hesitation! LOL.

I know that of shooting activities I've done over the last 2.5 years (pistols, shotguns, rifles), ALL of it was fun, but none of it made my eyes light up quite like the times I've used bolt-action rifles (mostly light rifles - like when @Malice4youwas gracious enough to bring his collection of light rifles to Clinton WMA).

That experience left me seriously intrigued about high-powered distance shooting. I can't wait to do this! I have a sneaking suspicious I may have finally stumbling on my "favorite" shooting sport - and that, in turn, will define everything else - such as where most of my budget will go, what guns I'll be buying next, what ranges I will join in the future, etc. I'll post on here to let everyone how it goes! (even if I'm really, really bad, lol).

@Bully is a good egg, isn't he? :D 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Oh, I'm going shooting with him this month as a matter of fact. :) When fellow shooters are kind and generous enough to offer to try new shooting experiences, I accept... shamelessly and without hesitation! LOL.

I know that of shooting activities I've done over the last 2.5 years (pistols, shotguns, rifles), ALL of it was fun, but none of it made my eyes light up quite like the times I've used bolt-action rifles (mostly light rifles - like when @Malice4youwas gracious enough to bring his collection of light rifles to Clinton WMA).

That experience left me seriously intrigued about high-powered distance shooting. I can't wait to do this! I have a sneaking suspicious I may have finally stumbling on my "favorite" shooting sport - and that, in turn, will define everything else - such as where most of my budget will go, what guns I'll be buying next, what ranges I will join in the future, etc. I'll post on here to let everyone how it goes! (even if I'm really, really bad, lol).

@Bully is a good egg, isn't he? :D 

PM sent

17 hours ago, Bully said:

So...

I am heading to a local "maker-space" that is on a monthly subscription basis.  @alec.mc and @Zeke have offered to help but they are, honestly, a bit too far for me.  The maker-space is a quick 15 minute drive from my home and is open 7 days a week.  They have more than enough tooling to get me going .  Seems like they're nice enough gents that can and will help with any questions I have about the machines.  I can also do several other things there that have been sleeping in the "shop" for a bit.  Maybe I can actually clear some of the half done projects off my bench and see some stuff thru.  

@Old School take it easy on @Mrs. Peel.  She's a PR whiz and sees things from all angles.  

Start and finish with the same number of fingers. Very important! And pretty much all the knowledge I have with wood working.

• Like 2