capt14k

Seems I have a thief scoping my house

Surprised most guys dont know these days a garage opener has a rolling code.
"Modern garage door openers transmit a radio signal that has a binary number encoded in it. The transmitter transmits a binary number, the receiver looks for that number, and it only opens the door if it "hears" the correct number. To prevent replay attacks (that is, to prevent a criminal from using a radio to listen to the code that is sent by a remote, then just playing the same code back to open the garage door), each time a code is used, a new code is generated. The radio transmitter and the radio receiver both contain a chip that uses the same system for generating new codes."
I had to manually reset the codes. Them stealing my opener made rolling code moot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The problem with keypads is, I know on the older models if you pry them off or unscrew, just 2 wires,if crossed door opens. I used to install Genies in the 80s.
That's why me wife made me remove ours

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CageFighter said:

u need one of these!   (my dogs bite work has gotten insane!)

Image may contain: one or more people, dog and outdoor

Pitbulls, once they lock, they don't let go!

1 hour ago, 1563621 said:

Pitbulls, once they lock, they don't let go!

this dog does not let go.  we get physical with him when on the sleeve/suit, so he knows to get a deep bite and then its locked.   you can fling him around and he still wont let go.  been training him since 9 wks old to be a protection dog once grown.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, capt14k said:

For 90% of people you don't need a killer dog. They see a 100+lb Lab bark they are heading for the hills.

Very true. Just not knowing if the dog will attack is usually a good deterrent.

I've been working with my Lab pup (who's coming up on 70 lbs.) to key up and alert to an unknown person who comes by. I had a home improvement door knocker come by last week, and poochie was going nuts behind the storm door. The guy backed way up, and asked if the dog was actually friendly? (Most people assume a Lab might be)

I told him, "the last guy who knocked on my door left without one of his arms". The guy didn't hang around long after that comment... :)

• Like 4

Yeah, but pitbulls eat little children too, just for the fun of it. [emoji4]

This does happen. Doberman and Rotty too. Cops got to my BIL Rottweiler before I did. Though I was on my way to kill the SOB.

11 minutes ago, 1563621 said:

Right! Any dog is a deterrent! 

Well, I don't know if "ANY" are..

My parents had a few of these when I was growing up. Not sure if they were a deterrent to anything, unless laughing to death when you saw them counts (although they were noisy as hell and barked a lot):

2471625.jpg?326

Maybe the squirrels were the only thing afraid of them.

1 hour ago, CageFighter said:

so, if a shitbag is trying to break into my car, can I send the dog to say hello? 

Unfortunately i can almost bet this would result in the dog being put down and you dealing with criminal charges or some sort of PITA. Particularly in NJ. We have 2 big dogs, a shepherd and a golden retriever. I think our chickens are better at indicating that a stranger is around than the dogs, though... LOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

it should be against the law to mistreat a dog like that.

Ha ha

I think it borders on mental illness to get it cut and groomed like that.

1 hour ago, CageFighter said:

so, if a shitbag is trying to break into my car, can I send the dog to say hello? 

I would.

11 hours ago, Howard said:

You cannot waive liability by putting up a sign.  People believe it so many don't go after them, but you can.  Years ago I was in a Rickle's lot (yes MANY years ago) and I came out to find a shopping cart went rolling and smashed my tail light.  I went in and bitched to the manager who showed me such a sign and I said BS, I would get my lawyer involved.  He then said as a "courtesy" I should go have it fixed and bring him the bill.  I did and he reached into the register and gave me cash for the repair.

I used to work at a Rickle's store.

Per real life lawyers: You can't put up just any sign indicating that you aren't liable for anything you don't want to be liable for. I.e. Sign on your car that says you aren't liable for speeding. A sign isn't enough, especially when this guy later went to your house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

you should never have to send your dog. he should already be there. he'll hear anything long before you do.

he has an attention/watch command & a bite command. just bc he's barking doesnt mean he needs to bite you, unless he's told.

but if he's given the attention/watch command and sees u assault me, he will bite u without hestitation.

• Like 1

I have a low rider pit bull, only 55lbs, but her bark sounds like it is out of a 100lb dog. My other dog is a lab/german shepard mix. She is up to 155lbs, big ass dog! Another one that barks/growls, people are not going to enter my house.

So, he steals the remote - big deal, but he steals the remote and makes note of your address shows premeditation.
This tech needs to be fired ASAP. And I would blast the dealership on social media too.
Police take is can't prove anything without video. Dealership seems to feel the same. Remote won't work anymore. I have another one and I'm sure I can buy one for $10. Only my older daughter used it and only occasionally. Wife doesn't want the keypad back on. There is always the front door too. Put alert on Slickdeals for one of those ring bells and smart Lock. Hoping the last time guy came he noticed the rifle case and .50 Cal can and police actually talk to dealership. Between the two I hope it is over.

• Like 1

Eff that noise. Stalking my wife.....

You're a better man then me. Steal from her. Followed her. Stalked her. 

Not saying do this ( my disclaimer). Lol....I'd go back. Speak to tech. Take his pic. When he went crying I'd take pic of service manager. When he cried I'd take pic of gm. Get a GoPro. Don't make threats. That part is hard NOT to do. 

I would then scope out where they park. Find out what he drives.  Isn't hard to do. I'd follow him home but that's me. Lol. Let him call the police. Don't speak to him.  Just blow him some kisses. 

Again... stalking my family?.....eff you. Extreme prejudice is applied. 

• Like 2

Eff that noise. Stalking my wife.....
You're a better man then me. Steal from her. Followed her. Stalked her. 
Not saying do this ( my disclaimer). Lol....I'd go back. Speak to tech. Take his pic. When he went crying I'd take pic of service manager. When he cried I'd take pic of gm. Get a GoPro. Don't make threats. That part is hard NOT to do. 
I would then scope out where they park. Find out what he drives.  Isn't hard to do. I'd follow him home but that's me. Lol. Let him call the police. Don't speak to him.  Just blow him some kisses. 
Again... stalking my family?.....eff you. Extreme prejudice is applied. 

Believe me if I could prove 100% actions would be taken and I thought about. However what if it was one of the detailing guys? I wish the damn cameras weren't all motion activated.

I hear ya man.  Based on last pages I get your frustration. 

I'm just a big believer in eye for an eye. 

Even if it was me, you scoped out/stalked my house. My loved ones are in it. 

I've had a couple situations where law enforcement couldn't or wouldn't get involved or pursue things. I made it known (to bad guy) what would happen if certain behaviors/actions continued. Police knew. Lol. It ceased. Lol. 

• Like 1

If you live near a military base and they migrated over to the 380 mhz trunk systems this may be the cause of a door opener acting erratic,  most garage door openers are assigned frequencies in the upper 300 mhz military band,  many bases have been switching over.  

I replaced a 30 year old craftsman last week due to a similar issue, I live near Picatinny arsenal and they are using a 380 mhz trunk system.,   some DEA frequency's are in the lower 400 govt band as well as postal inspectors.   are the cars tinted out that stop near your house?