shufly

Close......found shotgun

16 posts in this topic

Not to be an opinionated SOB, but you might wanna consider a 20 ga. youth gas-operated semi like I have?  Almost 50% more shot even in the lightest loads (7/8 oz.) and has less felt recoil.  Most here will tell you that a .410 is actually a sub-gauge Expert's gun.  How old is your daughter & how tall is she?  Maybe we can meet-up so you can try my youth model before you buy the .410?

Rosey

1 person likes this

I have a Tristar 20ga youth model that may be a good fit.  It's not up for sale but for sizing purposes it may help!

Definitely should try out some youth 20ga semi autos as they don't kick much at all.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Not to be an opinionated SOB, but you might wanna consider a 20 ga. youth gas-operated semi like I have?  Almost 50% more shot even in the lightest loads (7/8 oz.) and has less felt recoil.  Most here will tell you that a .410 is actually a sub-gauge Expert's gun.  How old is your daughter & how tall is she?  Maybe we can meet-up so you can try my youth model before you buy the .410?

Rosey

Yes after reading up that seems the way to go, my daughter just turned 9 an she’s 4’2ish, what gun do u suggest, I’ve  only shot over/unders for clays, got my wife a used pump 20 gauge but it’s lop is to long for my daughter to try 

agree with trying a youth 20ga.  

I have a single shot 410 And kicks as much as the 20 because it's so light. 

Not sure of your location but more than welcome to try the mentioned 410 or my boys Mossberg 500 bantam 20ga. I'm in marlton. Usually head down to Stafford on 539. Looking to join Telco in the near future as it's closest to me but they do not have a guest policy. 

Nick

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

agree with trying a youth 20ga.  

I have a single shot 410 And kicks as much as the 20 because it's so light. 

Not sure of your location but more than welcome to try the mentioned 410 or my boys Mossberg 500 bantam 20ga. I'm in marlton. Usually head down to Stafford on 539. Looking to join Telco in the near future as it's closest to me but they do not have a guest policy. 

Nick

Thanks for the offer, I’ve never heard of any of those town so u can’t be close Lol.   I’m in hazlet.   Yea I’m gunna google some now an see what my ffl can get 

6 hours ago, shufly said:

Daughter wants to give clays a shot    Looking for a youth 410  let me know thanks 

My wife’s set up is youth 20 semi. As all above.. could bring to Clinton to try.

. 410 is not gonna be conducive to hitting and getting “ hooked “

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, shufly said:

Thanks for the offer, I’ve never heard of any of those town so u can’t be close Lol.   I’m in hazlet.   Yea I’m gunna google some now an see what my ffl can get 

Old Bridge R&P is a private club, BUT THEIR LEAGUES ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!  It's also the closest scattergun range to Hazlet.  Shotgun League meets on 1st & 3rd Sundays.  Women & kids already shoot the league.  Non-members can shoot for $20 (birds only---ammo is on you and you bring it---2 boxes needed to shoot match).  Our league chair will personally teach her how to hit & might not charge a 9 yr old the full $$?

The biggest concern is safety, so teach her safety with a bigger heavier gun if need be.  Next concern is stamina.  Some 9 yr old girls disappear when they turn sideways & some are little tanks.  No matter their build, they need stamina in their arm muscles to hold the gun safely & operate it correctly.  Weight training with 5 & 10 pound hand weights, as well as doing some upper body work is a great idea & will help her maintain the effort required to be safe & have fun.  If it's not FUN, then you're pushing too soon.

I've been teachin' kids to shoot for over 25 years.  I have a Beretta Youth Model 20 ga. gas operated semi-auto that works quite well.  I can meet you at the range when you think she's ready  :) 

Rosey

14 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Old Bridge R&P is a private club, BUT THEIR LEAGUES ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!  It's also the closest scattergun range to Hazlet.  Shotgun League meets on 1st & 3rd Sundays.  Women & kids already shoot the league.  Non-members can shoot for $20 (birds only---ammo is on you and you bring it---2 boxes needed to shoot match).  Our league chair will personally teach her how to hit & might not charge a 9 yr old the full $$?

The biggest concern is safety, so teach her safety with a bigger heavier gun if need be.  Next concern is stamina.  Some 9 yr old girls disappear when they turn sideways & some are little tanks.  No matter their build, they need stamina in their arm muscles to hold the gun safely & operate it correctly.  Weight training with 5 & 10 pound hand weights, as well as doing some upper body work is a great idea & will help her maintain the effort required to be safe & have fun.  If it's not FUN, then you're pushing too soon.

I've been teachin' kids to shoot for over 25 years.  I have a Beretta Youth Model 20 ga. gas operated semi-auto that works quite well.  I can meet you at the range when you think she's ready  :) 

Rosey

Hey thanks, Yea I’m a member at cjrpc she’s used to shooting  holding rifles an carbines, she’s been in gymnastics for 7 years 25 hours a week, she’s a beast lol, I will def look into the old bridge as it is a Lil closer.   So I guess my hunt now turns to a 20 gauge youth semi, from after what I’m reading online an what u guys are saying 

3 minutes ago, shufly said:

Hey thanks, Yea I’m a member at cjrpc she’s used to shooting  holding rifles an carbines, she’s been in gymnastics for 7 years 25 hours a week, she’s a beast lol, I will def look into the old bridge as it is a Lil closer.   So I guess my hunt now turns to a 20 gauge youth semi, from after what I’m reading online an what u guys are saying 

Sounds great with the gymnastics, just what the doctor ordered!  What yer lookin' for is a Remmy 1100 youth or an 11-87 youth, in used but good condition.  There are others and you might find them, but parts availability is Remmy hands-down.  Don't be afraid to chop the stock & make yer own spacers if needed for LOP.  A replacement stock from Remington should always be available.

20 ga. costs the same as 12 ga., so it's a LOT cheaper than either .410 or 28 ga. shells as far as feedin' that scattergun :) 

Lemme know when ya wanna come to the range.

Rosey

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Sounds great with the gymnastics, just what the doctor ordered!  What yer lookin' for is a Remmy 1100 youth or an 11-87 youth, in used but good condition.  There are others and you might find them, but parts availability is Remmy hands-down.  Don't be afraid to chop the stock & make yer own spacers if needed for LOP.  A replacement stock from Remington should always be available.

20 ga. costs the same as 12 ga., so it's a LOT cheaper than either .410 or 28 ga. shells as far as feedin' that scattergun :) 

Lemme know when ya wanna come to the range.

Rosey

Yea will do, I have a bt99 An couple citori over/under in 12 gauge that I use , picked up a mossberg pump in 20 guage for my wife to use, took her out last week, after showing her how to finally align herself she was hitting on average 15 out of 25, maybe I’ll upgrade her too, she was loving clays 

1 person likes this