EWC88

Drywall patch

So the gf wants to redo one of our bathrooms, well she found the mirror of her dreams lol for this bathroom and turns out it’s bigger then the norm. Which now means light, which we are replacing, needs to be moved up higher. I took the old off today to see what previous owners did, and yea there’s some good size oops holes. 

Has as anyone used those metal mesh screen patches for drywall? Review? Or should I cut out and latch with drywall?

1 hour ago, EWC88 said:

So the gf wants to redo one of our bathrooms, well she found the mirror of her dreams lol for this bathroom and turns out it’s bigger then the norm. Which now means light, which we are replacing, needs to be moved up higher. I took the old off today to see what previous owners did, and yea there’s some good size oops holes. 

Has as anyone used those metal mesh screen patches for drywall? Review? Or should I cut out and latch with drywall?

Used a million times on job sites where quick was key. Tbh it doesnt look the best if you care as its thick. Result is a hump if you cant fan out enough to make said hump disappear. So a relatively small repair turns into a fairly large one with all the fanning out that needs to be done for it to disappear. Imo the best way is either stuff w newspaper(if low or otherwise possible as there is something to catch it) then mesh tape and then spackle or just cut and replace that section if reasonably possible and if the hole is large.

Edit: video looks cool, maybe try that!

Cut a piece of sheetrock slightly bigger than the hole. Trace around it on the wall around the hole. Cut along the tracing and you'll have near an exact fit.

If there is no structure behind the hole you can screw to, stick a piece of scrap lumber through the hole and use construction adhesive to stick it across the back of the hole.

• Like 1

This is the method I use, except I cut the sheetrock about an inch larger than the hole and trim a half inch of sheetrock and the backing off, leaving a half inch of paper boarder on the face.  I also trim about a half inch border on the wall or ceiling, and peel just the paper off.  If you do it right, you don't need to tape the edges and there is no "hump".

• Like 3

The video above is pretty much the method I use. Works very well. The mesh patches can have a little give to them and will create a hump like someone noted above.

The only other thing I do is handwrite a little note about a suitcase with $100,000 being buried in the backyard and slip it in the hole. I figure if the next homeowner finds it when they remodel it will give them something to do on weekends.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Handyman said:

The video above is pretty much the method I use. Works very well.

It was your post that made me go look for the video, but I was really hoping I'd find one where they stripped off the paper on the wall and the half inch of sheetrock.  It really is the best method.  I have such a hard time getting paper tape seams to look right, and this method eliminates that altogether.

10 hours ago, Handyman said:

The only other thing I do is handwrite a little note about a suitcase with $100,000 being buried in the backyard and slip it in the hole. I figure if the next homeowner finds it when they remodel it will give them something to do on weekends.

I shall do that lol

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

It was your post that made me go look for the video, but I was really hoping I'd find one where they stripped off the paper on the wall and the half inch of sheetrock.  It really is the best method.  I have such a hard time getting paper tape seams to look right, and this method eliminates that altogether.

That's also a really good idea. I can usually get the patches tight enough I don't need the tape.