greatwhite

Work is moving me from PA to NJ. I'm an avid gun collector.

5 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Not to be mr doom, but what about the ramifications of the new feel good law that was recently passed. If his new neighbors get wind of that many firearms, they will call the police on this “gun nut”, citing major insecurity. Your entire collection will be immediately confiscated under the new law. 

And upon confiscation zero due diligence is done to protect your propert and investments ..

Thinking abou guns tossed in garbage pails and piled in with no rhyme reason or protection....

I've seen it and have seen the looks on some folks face when they got their guns back that were scratched marred and rusted....

For goodness sake.

First, join ANJRPC. 

https://www.anjrpc.org/default.aspx

It is cheap, and if you are a member, you can call one of the attorneys in the list in the back of their monthly magazine, and get real advice from a real NJ gun lawyer free of charge.

Additionally, you may want to consider just renting a storage locker in PA to store the bulk of your collection, rather than bringing them all here.  If you have that many, don't bring them here.  Just bring the ones you would like to shoot.  You might ultimately end up driving out to a PA range to shoot them anyhow, as many of us in NJ do.  Enjoy the fishing here, you won't get in trouble for fishing!

Don't ask the police here what the law is. They don't know.  Their job here as most of them see it is not to protect your collection, but to ultimately come and take it from you.  Though they issue the permits, you get the notion that they only issue them to you because they are required, and they would rather not.  Totally different mindset.

2 hours ago, greatwhite said:

Being right over the line in PA isn't an option, it would put me too far from where I need to be. I'm not looking for a 2 hour commute across the state, and Philly isn't an option. The properties are all over the place but most are near water or on lakes. Neither of which are a priority to me. Secure with lots of space is the goal.

The place I'm in now is roughly 2400 sq ft. with a drive in basement and a four car garage behind the house. We converted one interior room to a steel door type vault for my guns and other expensive toys with no one but me having access. The one house I'm considering is in Cumberland Co. I'd be next to the daughter of the owner of the company on one side, and another employee on the other. They own 12 properties in that area and most of the surrounding property. There's a four car detached garage and a two car attached to the house. It was originally to be a development with a lake but they couldn't get the approval for the lake so it died after only a handful of houses were built. The field outback looks like prime deer hunting area to me.

I still don't see where the FPID card is needed? What will it do for me? Other than letting them know I have guns?

I'll be back and forth between PA, NJ, and other locations all the time, I can buy my ammo there, where its cheaper, but to be honest, I don't foresee ever buying any ammo in NJ at what they charge there. Its cheaper to order online or buy over here.
Besides, I reload all my own brass.

Most of the shooting I'll be doing will be on private land or at any of the public ranges. I was at one down south there last summer and we had the place pretty much to ourselves all day, just the two of us and a couple of off duty cops shooting with their kids.
We had PA tags on the trucks and they never said a word. I was helping a buddy sight in a new Savage 110 he bought for hunting. up north.

Fyi....ummmm. you cant hunt with a rifle in nj.....just saying

At least for deer 

Run far run fast and dint come here.

!and dont be a FUDD if you do

Stay in PA.

To clarify no FPID needed to move your firearms to NJ and possess them in your house.

No dealer transfer needed.

Yes NJ does recognize antique rifles but not handguns. Mosin is not an antique regardless of tang date because ammo is readily available. 1871 Mauser is antique and treated same as federal law.

Anything that looks like M1 Carbine is no good, blame the racist Dems.

Again don't move to NJ commute to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdamM said:

You should have a FID of you plan on transporting your guns out of the house. It will cover you having long guns in your vehicle no matter where you go. If you don't, make sure you are going from or to a range with no deviations (as I understand it, and yes NJ laws are extremely vague on purpose).

Some info for you - some has recently changed; due to the election last year of a commie pinko governor.  Evan Nappen is a lawyer and an authority on NJ gun laws.  Most of this is old hat to us in NJ, but will be news to you.

https://www.uslawshield.com/land/evan-nappen-tips/assets/NJ - 1st of Nappen series 5 Things Evan Nappen Says New Jersey Gun Owners Need to Know.pdf

This is from the SAFE conference 2 years ago.  I was in the audience for this presentation:

Some of the reasons why you want a NJ FID card:  (note that the tube mag .22's are now legal...that was the only bone thrown to us by the recent gun law changes)

I called the local PD in that area about getting an FPID card and was told to expect it to cost about $365 total with fingerprinting plus any handgun permits I may want. They also said payment must be in the form of a money order. And that I'd need at least two money orders. When I asked what amount mo to get they couldn't give me an answer and said it would depend on what the total was that day? I can't very well fill out the money order like a blank check.

The fingerprinting has to be done by a private company, for which I'd need to contact and make an appointment with.

I also was told that I need to wait till I moved there full time and had a permanent address because I'd have to go through the process again later if not.  I asked what day or time is best to come to the police station and was told I'd just have to keep calling.

The Ruger 10/22 I've got is like this one: https://www.eabco.net/M1-Carbine-Replica-Ruger-1022-Stock-and-Tribute_p_13774.html

I don't see what the issue is, its still a stock 10/22 but in a different stock. It still uses a stock Ruger 10 round magazine but its got a faux extension that makes it look longer than it is. The extension just snaps onto the stock mag.

If I put Cadillac emblems on my pickup, it don't make it a Cadillac.

I tried watching the vids posted but my internet connection isn't fast enough I guess. It just locks up my computer.

5 minutes ago, greatwhite said:

I called the local PD in that area about getting an FPID card and was told to expect it to cost about $365 total with fingerprinting plus any handgun permits I may want. They also said payment must be in the form of a money order. And that I'd need at least two money orders. When I asked what amount mo to get they couldn't give me an answer and said it would depend on what the total was that day? I can't very well fill out the money order like a blank check.

The fingerprinting has to be done by a private company, for which I'd need to contact and make an appointment with.

I also was told that I need to wait till I moved there full time and had a permanent address because I'd have to go through the process again later if not.  I asked what day or time is best to come to the police station and was told I'd just have to keep calling.

That is completely wrong.  You will have to get "digital fingerprints" from Morphotrak and if I remember correctly it was $50 about five years ago when I did it.  The background check is around $20 and each permit to purchase a handgun is $2.  I think someone was going after towns that were pulling that crap (think it was NJ2AS, however they have burnt bridges with all the other 2A groups).  Might be good to let them know.

I was told that the fingerprinting fee was $150 plus taxes and some other fee. They said it would be roughly $165 total, not counting the fees for the forms and what ever background check the police do.

When I go online, the website for the fingerprint place says they don't take money orders, only online payments at the time of sign up. They don't list a cost, I couldn't get that far without first having info from the police station, which I likely won't have till I move there full time and know for certain what my new address will be. I'm 90% certain where I'm moving to but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Dont bother with phone calls. When you get here, go there in person and record the convo. Get details in person. If they really charge you 300$ and its recorded, theyll get reamed in court.

Its like 55$ for prints and 20 bucks or so to the municipality. Das it. Not 300 f**king dollars. Money order thing is shady as hell too, my pd just took cash.

6 hours ago, greatwhite said:

I'm starting to like the idea of not bothering with the FPID card by the sounds of it so far.

You should start thinking of NOT moving to nj.

This is just the entering of the tip of.....  i was going to type something but let's just say it's the tip of the iceberg.

I left NJ several year back and moved to central PA... and I would do everything I could to never ever even consider going back.. 

I read stories here about how the PD reacts to people inquiring about guns.. and how its mostly negative.. ill informed.. and where the citizen is almost treated as a criminal.. 

in PA.. when I was renewing my LTCF at the local sheriff.. I was asking about sign off to make a sawed off shotgun.. the response "oh you just fill out the ATF paperwork now we don't even need to sign off anymore so its better now". total opposite of the NJ mentality.. here I am telling LEO that I want a sawed off shotgun.. and the response is like I am asking for directions to the local gas station.. no negativity.. no bad advice.. no "OH why do you want such a violent criminal weapon" 

IF firearms are a high priority in your life.. NJ is not the place to be.. its not just the laws on the books today.. it is the general anti 2A mindset of the state and a vast majority of the people in it.. I do understand we are talking about a job you have had for years.. but seriously if guns are important to you.. start looking for new work.. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I left NJ several year back and moved to central PA... and I would do everything I could to never ever even consider going back.. 

I read stories here about how the PD reacts to people inquiring about guns.. and how its mostly negative.. ill informed.. and where the citizen is almost treated as a criminal.. 

in PA.. when I was renewing my LTCF at the local sheriff.. I was asking about sign off to make a sawed off shotgun.. the response "oh you just fill out the ATF paperwork now we don't even need to sign off anymore so its better now". total opposite of the NJ mentality.. here I am telling LEO that I want a sawed off shotgun.. and the response is like I am asking for directions to the local gas station.. no negativity.. no bad advice.. no "OH why do you want such a violent criminal weapon" 

IF firearms are a high priority in your life.. NJ is not the place to be.. its not just the laws on the books today.. it is the general anti 2A mindset of the state and a vast majority of the people in it.. I do understand we are talking about a job you have had for years.. but seriously if guns are important to you.. start looking for new work.. 

Yet another....  nailed it..... post

12 hours ago, AdamM said:

I think someone was going after towns that were pulling that crap (think it was NJ2AS, however they have burnt bridges with all the other 2A groups).  Might be good to let them know.

I don't know if NJ2AS was doing anything (that's not a slam, I simply don't know...)… but in case you're remembering it wrong, I do know that ANJRPC (NJ's NRA affiliate) has an ongoing program where they reach out to PDs that are doing the process wrong, adding extra qualifications/fees, etc. They don't tout results, but I know for a fact that they regularly get involved with cases. So, I'm sharing the info here. This (below) is a snippet from their website:

Please tell us about unauthorized conditions, delays, permit rationing, or any other violations, or improvements, in your town. Your identity will be protected, but your input will help us get the job done! Please email [email protected] or leave a message at (973) 697-9270. Please include as much detail as possible

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I don't know if NJ2AS was doing anything (that's not a slam, I simply don't know...)… but in case you're remembering it wrong, I do know that ANJRPC (NJ's NRA affiliate) has an ongoing program where they reach out to PDs that are doing the process wrong, adding extra qualifications/fees, etc. They don't tout results, but I know for a fact that they regularly get involved with cases. So, I'm sharing the info here. This (below) is a snippet from their website:

Please tell us about unauthorized conditions, delays, permit rationing, or any other violations, or improvements, in your town. Your identity will be protected, but your input will help us get the job done! Please email [email protected] or leave a message at (973) 697-9270. Please include as much detail as possible

while I appreciate people are fighting a good fight.. trying to straighten out things that are being done incorrectly.. the fact that someone even has to do that speaks volumes as to why I will never return unless I absolutely had no other choice.. 

5 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

while I appreciate people are fighting a good fight.. trying to straighten out things that are being done incorrectly.. the fact that someone even has to do that speaks volumes as to why I will never return unless I absolutely had no other choice.. 

Oh, I hear you! It shouldn't be this damn hard here, for sure, to exercise a constitutional right. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Oh, I hear you! It shouldn't be this damn hard here, for sure, to exercise a constitutional right. 

Peel gets it... it’s when people get seriously pissed off that things change.

Unfortunately, people seem to vote with their feet vs the ballot. Only 18% voted for the current nj government 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Unfortunately, people seem to vote with their feet vs the ballot. Only 18% voted for the current nj government 

That 18% closely matches the approval rating of Congress right now. How sad is that?

On 9/22/2018 at 1:37 AM, Lambo2936 said:

Dont bother with phone calls. When you get here, go there in person and record the convo. Get details in person. If they really charge you 300$ and its recorded, theyll get reamed in court.

Its like 55$ for prints and 20 bucks or so to the municipality. Das it. Not 300 f**king dollars. Money order thing is shady as hell too, my pd just took cash.

Right now, phone calls are my only option, I'm 3 hours away. I was trying to get an idea of what this move was going to cost. I wanted to warn the owner of the company, since they'll be paying for it. As far as i'm concerned, they'll be paying for any FPID card as well. The way I see it, its a cost incurred by the move.

It appears that the fee is charged online by the fingerprint people, no where does it give an amount. I guess I won't know that amount till I see my Credit card bill when the time comes.

The PD is M/O or certified check only, no Cash, It was one of the first things they made clear on the phone.  I guess they don't trust their employees with cash? They have no online payment option either.

I went to the PD today, was told I'd have to come back during business hours to pickup forms, then another person said they don't give out forms, I'd have to download them online.

Which forms do I need to fill out? Do my references on the main form have to be from NJ? I don't really know anyone who's a NJ resident besides a few employees who I'd rather not involve.

Two of the online forms require a witness signature? Does this mean I just wait and sign them at the PD and they become the signing witness or do I need to find a third party and have the forms signed when I get there?

I talked to a contact I deal with in NJ and he said he just went through the whole process of getting his FPID card after inheriting a few guns from his dad. He said it cost him $5 for the FID card, plus $2 for each hangun, (times nine in his case), plus $35 for the background check at the PD, then he paid $65 for the fingerprinting, and another $55 for some mental health check. Then he said it didn't go through the first time because they refused the multiple handgun application for some reason so he had to start over. Then one of his references didn't respond so they refused the FID. He finally got it after his third try and several sets of fees. It didn't sound like he really knew what went on, just that he had to refile for the thing three times. While all that went on, he had to hand all the handguns over to the PD until he got his FID card and handgun permits for each one, which in the end took several months. There was also an issue in that on of the handguns had "Property of some PD" engraved on it, apparently is has either bought used that way or handed down to him by someone who retired. Either way he had all sorts of issues getting that gun back.
I won't have those issues as I don't have any handguns but if I have to go through all this for an FPID card, I may just buy a few to justify the process.

There is no way to avoid the move, leaving this job now would throw away years and my retirement. I'll have to be in NJ for 8 years and a few months. Then I'm heading south.

4 hours ago, greatwhite said:

Right now, phone calls are my only option, I'm 3 hours away. I was trying to get an idea of what this move was going to cost. I wanted to warn the owner of the company, since they'll be paying for it. As far as i'm concerned, they'll be paying for any FPID card as well. The way I see it, its a cost incurred by the move.

It appears that the fee is charged online by the fingerprint people, no where does it give an amount. I guess I won't know that amount till I see my Credit card bill when the time comes.

The PD is M/O or certified check only, no Cash, It was one of the first things they made clear on the phone.  I guess they don't trust their employees with cash? They have no online payment option either.

I went to the PD today, was told I'd have to come back during business hours to pickup forms, then another person said they don't give out forms, I'd have to download them online.

Which forms do I need to fill out? Do my references on the main form have to be from NJ? I don't really know anyone who's a NJ resident besides a few employees who I'd rather not involve.

Two of the online forms require a witness signature? Does this mean I just wait and sign them at the PD and they become the signing witness or do I need to find a third party and have the forms signed when I get there?

I talked to a contact I deal with in NJ and he said he just went through the whole process of getting his FPID card after inheriting a few guns from his dad. He said it cost him $5 for the FID card, plus $2 for each hangun, (times nine in his case), plus $35 for the background check at the PD, then he paid $65 for the fingerprinting, and another $55 for some mental health check. Then he said it didn't go through the first time because they refused the multiple handgun application for some reason so he had to start over. Then one of his references didn't respond so they refused the FID. He finally got it after his third try and several sets of fees. It didn't sound like he really knew what went on, just that he had to refile for the thing three times. While all that went on, he had to hand all the handguns over to the PD until he got his FID card and handgun permits for each one, which in the end took several months. There was also an issue in that on of the handguns had "Property of some PD" engraved on it, apparently is has either bought used that way or handed down to him by someone who retired. Either way he had all sorts of issues getting that gun back.
I won't have those issues as I don't have any handguns but if I have to go through all this for an FPID card, I may just buy a few to justify the process.

There is no way to avoid the move, leaving this job now would throw away years and my retirement. I'll have to be in NJ for 8 years and a few months. Then I'm heading south.

That sounds a little far fetched...h

Your answer is find a family.memeber that is out of NJ and move your collection there.

Why did the police have his inherited handguns? Why did he get. Permit for his inherited handguns? The price sound correct except the mental health is $20. You sign the form in from of the firearms officer. Yes not having your references return their forms will cause you to not get your permits.

6 hours ago, capt14k said:

Why did the police have his inherited handguns? Why did he get. Permit for his inherited handguns? The price sound correct except the mental health is $20. You sign the form in from of the firearms officer. Yes not having your references return their forms will cause you to not get your permits.

From what I was told, he couldn't take possession of the handguns until he got his FPID card, they were placed with the local PD. From what I understand, whomever was executing the will, (not him), was being instructed by a lawyer. I didn't get into it in depth but it sounded like a real mess.

7 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

That sounds a little far fetched...h

Your answer is find a family.memeber that is out of NJ and move your collection there.

I don't have any relatives that are gun friendly here, I'd also be taking a chance of losing them if something happened to that relative or friend. I looked into renting storage space but between security issues and cost that's not an option.

@greatwhite having moved a lot in the past. Move your stuff here, you are allowed to have possessions in New Jersey. Get an fpid card as a resident once you move. And jus make sure you’re stuff is nj compliant that you take to the range.. kinda the cliff notes of this full retard thread. Other than that. Be smert 

• Like 2