greatwhite

Work is moving me from PA to NJ. I'm an avid gun collector.

Am I clear on the fact that the Marlin 60 and all its variants (Such as Revelation, Glenfield, Ranger, etc.) that hold 17 to 21 rounds is legal to bring with me? I have both an early and later model of these.

Is there any limit to how many rounds any non semi auto rifle can hold? I think I can get 21 shorts in my Remington 121 Fieldmaster from the 1930's.

Something I wasn't thinking about before, how about single shot pellet pistols? I see they consider them a firearm in NJ?

I guess I have to dump the Ruger 10/22, but it don't make much sense, I can buy the same gun with a black plastic stock in NJ but the wood stock model that looks like an old M1 carbine is illegal?

I'm not a particular fan of a semi-auto anything, but I do own a few since they were handed down to me over the years here. I don't have anything against a semi-auto gun, I simply prefer the simplicity of a bolt action or single shot when it comes to cleaning them.

I was reading the current hunting regulation guide book online, I see that only 12 and 20ga guns are legal for most hunting, is there any issues with an old 8 ga? It fires a brass black powder cartridge. I don't intend to hunt with it, but I really don't want to part with it. It belonged to my great grandfather when they lived in West Virginia.

I reiterate:  Pay ANJRPC $40 for a non-range membership, get ahold of one of their newsletters and call one of the NJ lawyers listed in the back of the newsletter who give free advice to members.

NJ is a screwy state.  Don't ask the police what the law is, they don't know the law.

Don't rely on forum threads either.  The law is too weird here to get good advice in a conversation online.

We are talking felonies if you fall short, and extreme inconvenience if you needlessly over-comply with the law.  So get some real legal advice before you do anything!!!!

• Like 2

Am I clear on the fact that the Marlin 60 and all its variants (Such as Revelation, Glenfield, Ranger, etc.) that hold 17 to 21 rounds is legal to bring with me? I have both an early and later model of these.
Is there any limit to how many rounds any non semi auto rifle can hold? I think I can get 21 shorts in my Remington 121 Fieldmaster from the 1930's.
Something I wasn't thinking about before, how about single shot pellet pistols? I see they consider them a firearm in NJ?
I guess I have to dump the Ruger 10/22, but it don't make much sense, I can buy the same gun with a black plastic stock in NJ but the wood stock model that looks like an old M1 carbine is illegal?
I'm not a particular fan of a semi-auto anything, but I do own a few since they were handed down to me over the years here. I don't have anything against a semi-auto gun, I simply prefer the simplicity of a bolt action or single shot when it comes to cleaning them.
I was reading the current hunting regulation guide book online, I see that only 12 and 20ga guns are legal for most hunting, is there any issues with an old 8 ga? It fires a brass black powder cartridge. I don't intend to hunt with it, but I really don't want to part with it. It belonged to my great grandfather when they lived in West Virginia.

Tube fed .22 Semi Auto good to go.

Non Semi Auto restrictions don't apply

The .22 looking like M1 Carbine I think you would win in court.

Just because you can't hunt with something doesn't mean you can't shoot it. 8 gauge perfectly legal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, capt14k said:

Tube fed .22 Semi Auto good to go.

Non Semi Auto restrictions don't apply

The .22 looking like M1 Carbine I think you would win in court.

Just because you can't hunt with something doesn't mean you can't shoot it. 8 gauge perfectly legal.

How about bayonettes? I've got a collection of at least 80 or so bayonettes from all sort of rifles, both US and foreign. While many are likely for banned guns, I only have the bayonettes. I have roughly 15 variations of the M4 alone.

How about pellet pistols? I've got a few really old ones from the 40's and 50's. Do they get registered as a hand gun or are they just illegal flat out?

I spoke to a few lawyers, two from NJ, both said they wouldn't worry much about what's legal or not, just don't let anyone know what you have. I don't think I'm comfortable with that since I'll be living in a house owned by the company with someone other than myself doing the cleaning and cooking. It would be several sets of eyes I may or may not know or trust running about the house. I have that now here but I've got a 'gun room' that's off limits to everyone but me and a few buddies who I trust. The house keeper doesn't go anywhere near that room. Its got a double door, from the outside it looks like a closet with shelves on both sides, but the back of the closet is a steel door with a four way dead bolt. The outer door has a remote control lock, and the inner door has a safe type combo lock with a key over ride.

I'll be putting the same thing in when I move but it'll take a few months to make it all happen. I already made it very clear it has to be done before I move in. My guns, good booze will be behind such a door when I move. I'm told its going to be accessed only from a staircase in the new house from a landing which is fine for me. What I don't like is that the new house is wood construction and my current house is all stone and concrete. No matter what though its better than just a gun safe.

The pellet pistols are considered full blown handguns here in NJ -- Not sure what that means to you being that you already own them 

I've been reading this whole thread -- you need to stop asking permission -- read the laws yourself and make your determination of what they mean 

the police don't want your guns here -- no matter if they are legal -- they will beat around the truth in the hopes you don't bring them, if there is ever an issue they will take all of them, until you prove they are legal and yours -- they will not be cared for in police custody

Sounds to me like you have some things to think about... 

How about bayonettes? I've got a collection of at least 80 or so bayonettes from all sort of rifles, both US and foreign. While many are likely for banned guns, I only have the bayonettes. I have roughly 15 variations of the M4 alone....

How about pellet pistols? I've got a few really old ones from the 40's and 50's. Do they get registered as a hand gun or are they just illegal flat out?...

I spoke to a few lawyers, two from NJ, both said they wouldn't worry much about what's legal or not, just don't let anyone know what you have.

Having a bayonet is perfectly legal. Having a semi-auto that accepts a detachable magazine with any noted feature PLUS a bayonet lug equates to an “assault weapon.” For example, the most common single feature on an AR is the pistol grip. One without any others (just that pistol grip) is legal. Same AR, put on a gas block with a bayonet lug... you just created an “assault weapon” (more than one feature). Remember, semi auto with detachable magazine is the foundation of that part of the law. Possession of an “assault weapon” is a second degree crime.

Judging the pellet pistols meet all NJ laws (there are parts of the “assault weapon” law that apply to pistols), you can keep them without issue. Any firearm (even things not considered firearms outside of NJ, but are here) that was legally purchased outside of NJ can be brought into NJ, judging it is legal to possess here. Having my C&R license, I can go to PA, purchase a revolver without the NJ pistol purchase permit or NICS, and drive home with it. All legal. However, if I bought a M1 Carbine, which is designated an “assault weapon” by name, and brought it back to NJ... breaking the law (C&R licensees must follow state and local laws). Now, if I called a local department and asked that... of course, they are going to say no... must get the pistol permit and (after 9/30/18) go through a FFL.

That being said, look into transportation laws prior to coming into NJ and try to understand them. Pistols can only go between home and a select few places (range, gun shop, fixed business owned/leased by you, etc). Only exceptions are reasonable deviations (getting gas... yes; stopping at the bar after the range... no). Hollow point ammo is similar to pistol transportation. Long guns have a similar transportation law (add in other things like hunting), unless you get your NJ FID. Having a FID allows you to leave a long gun in your vehicle without needed to go straight to/from set points.

In regards to speaking to lawyers, saying do not worry about NJ laws... are you kidding me? Was this just talking, or did you pay for that legal advice? If you get locked up for violations of NJ firearms law, is their word going to protect or defend you? Listen, you are allowed to do whatever you want... but do realize if you break the law and are found out, your 700 firearms are taken away from you. Plus, if it is a felony charge and you are convicted... you cannot own/possess a firearm after that. Is that worth any of the firearms you have that are illegal in NJ?

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

.....ok at this time.....after 3 pages of , whatever you wanna call it....  im calling troll ..  there it has been said.

Troll crossed my mind when I read the first post. I did not want to disrespect a new forum dabbler so I kept quiet. However, 700; 320 of which were inherited from his grandfather, really? Company provided houses, cars, etc since 1995..... That is quite a tale he has woven.  

• Like 3

OP, a family member of mine is building a gun room in his home. Certainly no where near the size of your “collection”. I would love to hear the details of your storage practices. Specifically, the size of your gun room; and your approach to environmentals, security, insurance, any special rack system being used, floors reinforced, etc.

I am guessing your collection spans at least 10 calibers. At 10K per caliber == 100k rounds of ammo.  Curious about your ammo storage practices.

Also curious if you are are a member of the PAFOA forum and your screen name there.  I assume 700 makes your collection one of the largest in Pennsylvania.  Can’t imagine you would not be active there.

• Like 4

How about bayonettes? I've got a collection of at least 80 or so bayonettes from all sort of rifles, both US and foreign. While many are likely for banned guns, I only have the bayonettes. I have roughly 15 variations of the M4 alone.
How about pellet pistols? I've got a few really old ones from the 40's and 50's. Do they get registered as a hand gun or are they just illegal flat out?
I spoke to a few lawyers, two from NJ, both said they wouldn't worry much about what's legal or not, just don't let anyone know what you have. I don't think I'm comfortable with that since I'll be living in a house owned by the company with someone other than myself doing the cleaning and cooking. It would be several sets of eyes I may or may not know or trust running about the house. I have that now here but I've got a 'gun room' that's off limits to everyone but me and a few buddies who I trust. The house keeper doesn't go anywhere near that room. Its got a double door, from the outside it looks like a closet with shelves on both sides, but the back of the closet is a steel door with a four way dead bolt. The outer door has a remote control lock, and the inner door has a safe type combo lock with a key over ride.
I'll be putting the same thing in when I move but it'll take a few months to make it all happen. I already made it very clear it has to be done before I move in. My guns, good booze will be behind such a door when I move. I'm told its going to be accessed only from a staircase in the new house from a landing which is fine for me. What I don't like is that the new house is wood construction and my current house is all stone and concrete. No matter what though its better than just a gun safe.

Bayonets are fine.

Pellet pistols are same as real pistols. No registration needed. Just don't drive around with them except between exempt locations.

I agree, most likely a keyboard warrior, or an aide to one of our liberal politicians! Looking for more items to ban!

Stop feeding the troll

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Troll crossed my mind when I read the first post. I did not want to disrespect a new forum dabbler so I kept quiet. However, 700; 320 of which were inherited from his grandfather, really? Company provided houses, cars, etc since 1995..... That is quite a tale he has woven.  

3 hours ago, 1563621 said:

I agree, most likely a keyboard warrior, or an aide to one of our liberal politicians! Looking for more items to ban!

Stop feeding the troll

It's just the line of questions being asked....  it seems...dunno just really odd. 

My current storage room is what used to be a walk in closet, I had it shortened with a semi hidden door. It measures roughly 8ft wide by 14 ft long. What I have in mind at the next house is more or less just splitting one of the bedrooms into a computer room with a hidden entrance behind a hall closet much like I've got now, but I won't have the security of having masonry walls vs. just studs and drywall. The owner, my boss, doesn't really mind the modifications, in fact he's copied a few for his own house. The bottom line is that if they want me there, they have to accommodate me and all my stuff. Since I've been with them for the better part of 30 years, I get away with a lot.

I highly doubt I'm anywhere near the top when it comes to quantity of guns here, I know of several who easily have far more than me. Mine are mostly all just hunting rifles, while theirs is mostly AR and AK type guns and other various guns. I know of one neighbor who has more than 1000 pieces from just the 19th century. For me, if I can't somehow justify owning it to either hunt with or target shoot here with, it doesn't interest me. (I have a steel 'bullet trap' in the basement here, it will follow me to the new place when the time comes, if not a new one will be built, but I've got my concerns about containing the noise in a wood home vs this being all stone and concrete. I can fire a 30/30 rifle into the trap and it cannot be heard at the road 220 ft away.  The foundation and walls are just that thick. The bad part here though is that the basement is very damp and requires several dehumidifiers and pumps to keep it dry. The house is close to a deep lake and there's a seepage issue. Therefore no guns or ammo can be stored in the basement. Things like this are just some of the things I'll have to sort out after moving I guess).

The lawyer I spoke to is a corporate attorney, not a gun lawyer but he's got a rather large collection himself in NJ. He and another from the same office pretty much said don't tell anyone and its all good. I don't agree with that, I don't intend to just lock my collection away for the next 8 or so years. I just wanted to hear some other opinions from those who may have dealt with this before. I can't possibly be the only guy with more than a few guns who had to deal with a move to NJ? I don't believe anything should be banned, the 2A gives us that right.

I absolutely am hating the idea of moving to NJ but I really don't have a choice, I'm 30 years into this job, with 8 to go before I'm old enough to retire and take a pension. I also have a profit sharing plan and a partial ownership deal. Leaving would cost me a bundle in the end and jeopardize my retiring in a way I wish too down the road. In 8 years, the plan is to move somewhere warm, I've lived in FL, but I don't think I'd retire there. I've been here in PA long enough to know I don't want to stay and deal with the cold winters as I get older, the same with NJ, plus all the other issue I'm seeing with NJ. In fact, I'm surprised anyone lives there at all from what I'm hearing.

What is a C&R license?

On 9/23/2018 at 2:43 AM, greatwhite said:

Right now, phone calls are my only option, I'm 3 hours away. I was trying to get an idea of what this move was going to cost. I wanted to warn the owner of the company, since they'll be paying for it. As far as i'm concerned, they'll be paying for any FPID card as well. The way I see it, its a cost incurred by the move.

It appears that the fee is charged online by the fingerprint people, no where does it give an amount. I guess I won't know that amount till I see my Credit card bill when the time comes.

*********It tells you the amount before you put your cc info in, its around $50******************

The PD is M/O or certified check only, no Cash, It was one of the first things they made clear on the phone.  I guess they don't trust their employees with cash? They have no online payment option either.

*********** the amount should be $5 for your FID and $2 for each pistol permit*****************

I went to the PD today, was told I'd have to come back during business hours to pickup forms, then another person said they don't give out forms, I'd have to download them online.

********you can get them online https://njsp.org/firearms/forms.shtml 

Which forms do I need to fill out? Do my references on the main form have to be from NJ? I don't really know anyone who's a NJ resident besides a few employees who I'd rather not involve.

********************you need forms STS033 and SP066. Many police departments have their own additional paperwork even though they are not supposed to and references do not need to be NJ residents but make sure they will answer calls from blocked numbers*****************

Two of the online forms require a witness signature? Does this mean I just wait and sign them at the PD and they become the signing witness or do I need to find a third party and have the forms signed when I get there?

*********you sign them at the PD the officer who takes them will be the witness******************

I talked to a contact I deal with in NJ and he said he just went through the whole process of getting his FPID card after inheriting a few guns from his dad. He said it cost him $5 for the FID card, plus $2 for each hangun, (times nine in his case), plus $35 for the background check at the PD, then he paid $65 for the fingerprinting, and another $55 for some mental health check. Then he said it didn't go through the first time because they refused the multiple handgun application for some reason so he had to start over. Then one of his references didn't respond so they refused the FID. He finally got it after his third try and several sets of fees. It didn't sound like he really knew what went on, just that he had to refile for the thing three times. While all that went on, he had to hand all the handguns over to the PD until he got his FID card and handgun permits for each one, which in the end took several months. There was also an issue in that on of the handguns had "Property of some PD" engraved on it, apparently is has either bought used that way or handed down to him by someone who retired. Either way he had all sorts of issues getting that gun back.
I won't have those issues as I don't have any handguns but if I have to go through all this for an FPID card, I may just buy a few to justify the process.

There is no way to avoid the move, leaving this job now would throw away years and my retirement. I'll have to be in NJ for 8 years and a few months. Then I'm heading south.

Would such a license do me any good considering most of the firearms I own are hunting rifles and shotguns in the 20's to 70's era? Just by the sound of it my take would be that its only good for the purchase of antiques or war relics?

Is such a license even doable in NJ?

I'm also not really looking to buy a lot these days, I have most everything I want. Not that I won't add something in the future, it won't be that often. Most of what I've got now were inherited from various other family members, only maybe 25 or so were actually acquired by me over the years from other sources.

I also wanted to ad, that I never even thought about having any sort of 'license' living in PA here, its just not needed. I don't buy new guns, I don't intend to sell any of my guns, and up till now, crossing state lines with anything was never a concern.

I've owned more guns than i can count for most of my adult life, I buy everything used, and cheap or I leave it be.
I've never heard of any sort of private FFL license that's available. Plus, the simple name, Curio and Relic lic. tells me its not meant for a guy who buys hunting rifles and shotguns from the modern era. To me, when someone says antique firearm, I think pre-1898 or any vintage firearm that can fire only black powder, weather it be a musket or early cartridge gun.

None of which really interests me. For me, if I can't shoot something to eat with it, I don't have much interest in it. When I comes to self defense, in the home or elsewhere, if it'll kill a deer, elk, moose or bear, it's fine for self defense as well. If push came to shove, any firearm in hand is better than no firearm. I don't think any intruder would much care to be shot with even a .22 let alone a .30 cal rifle round. or shotgun.

I'm also of the belief that what they don't know you have won't hurt you. If the day ever comes where they decide we can't have firearms anymore, I'd bet money on them knocking on the doors of those with FPID cards long before they visit those with no record of owning anything.

Being a PA resident for most of my life, I don't know how I'd react to someone saying I can't have this or that or having to get some piece of paper saying I can buy a gun when I want one. I've hunted in NJ, I drive there with my gun in my truck, unloaded, and have done so every season for 40 or so years now. Never had an issue. I only hunt there because a lifelong buddy has a huge farm and I and four others all do our part to help keep his farm safe from deer each year. Between that and what I have here on my own property I keep my freezers well stocked.

If there is a license that's obtainable by the average citizen that would allow easier interstate purchases, lets here about it. A quick search online didn't turn up much that seemed viable to me.

5 hours ago, BubbaJ said:

I've owned more guns than i can count for most of my adult life, I buy everything used, and cheap or I leave it be.
I've never heard of any sort of private FFL license that's available. Plus, the simple name, Curio and Relic lic. tells me its not meant for a guy who buys hunting rifles and shotguns from the modern era. To me, when someone says antique firearm, I think pre-1898 or any vintage firearm that can fire only black powder, weather it be a musket or early cartridge gun.

None of which really interests me. For me, if I can't shoot something to eat with it, I don't have much interest in it. When I comes to self defense, in the home or elsewhere, if it'll kill a deer, elk, moose or bear, it's fine for self defense as well. If push came to shove, any firearm in hand is better than no firearm. I don't think any intruder would much care to be shot with even a .22 let alone a .30 cal rifle round. or shotgun.

I'm also of the belief that what they don't know you have won't hurt you. If the day ever comes where they decide we can't have firearms anymore, I'd bet money on them knocking on the doors of those with FPID cards long before they visit those with no record of owning anything.

Being a PA resident for most of my life, I don't know how I'd react to someone saying I can't have this or that or having to get some piece of paper saying I can buy a gun when I want one. I've hunted in NJ, I drive there with my gun in my truck, unloaded, and have done so every season for 40 or so years now. Never had an issue. I only hunt there because a lifelong buddy has a huge farm and I and four others all do our part to help keep his farm safe from deer each year. Between that and what I have here on my own property I keep my freezers well stocked.

If there is a license that's obtainable by the average citizen that would allow easier interstate purchases, lets here about it. A quick search online didn't turn up much that seemed viable to me.

6 hours ago, greatwhite said:

Why would I ever know or need any sort of FFL license in PA???

I admit it sounds tempting but everything I see requires a Place of Business on the application?

Doesn't that sort of rule out a guy with a bunch of guns in a house?

For gun folks you two have to be the most ignorant I have found and I call into question many things - FUDDs come to mind.

@greatwhite - you seem to have all the data you need - yet you can't believe half of it, you seem to not want to accept most of it and generally keep probing for information that has been handed to you.

Your probing of information with differing scenarios and nuances raises flags for me and me only it seems - that you either A) are not what you say you are B) don't have what you say you have and sadly C) to me - seems to be trying to find more loopholes in NJ sucky gun laws to possibly attempt to closing what might exist in the coming legislative cycles.

Paranoid?  You betcha - in NJ you have to be - they *are* out to get you.

@BubbaJ - umm - FUDD much............it appears folks like you are the reason why we are in the pickle we are in in NJ and what you are bringing to PA.  The 2A IS NOT ABOUT HUNTING - IT IS NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN KILL TO EAT.....

Yeah a 30CAL is what I want for home defense, :facepalm:  for intruders........gang bangers, home invasions etc.

I have contributed to this drivel and for that I am truly sorry.

yep. 'cause if they are, it may well behoove me to sell the shop and work for these guys. shit.....with bennies like he's claiming??
I had the same thought. Sell the business and at the end of the day I can check out and enjoy all the benefits.

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

yep. 'cause if they are, it may well behoove me to sell the shop and work for these guys. shit.....with bennies like he's claiming??

The General manager at the hotel I work at has pretty much all the same benafits. He also works 80+ hour work weeks and never sees his family, and has been moved around every few years. Benefits ain't everything.......

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

The General manager at the hotel I work at has pretty much all the same benafits. He also works 80+ hour work weeks and never sees his family, and has been moved around every few years. Benefits ain't everything.......

FUNNY. i work 80 hour work weeks. i don't have multiple cars, great health care, and multiple homes.

but i gotta repeat the question.....what company ya work for greatwhite?