greatwhite

Work is moving me from PA to NJ. I'm an avid gun collector.

FUNNY. i work 80 hour work weeks. i don't have multiple cars, great health care, and multiple homes.
but i gotta repeat the question.....what company ya work for greatwhite?
I'm closer to 70hrs, but that doesn't count what others call working from home. I do that every night and Sunday too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

FUNNY. i work 80 hour work weeks. i don't have multiple cars, great health care, and multiple homes.

Yeah but your also a small business owner in NJ not working for a corporation. Its nearly impossible to get rich or great benefits, the cards are stacked against you. 

27 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I'm closer to 70hrs, but that doesn't count what others call working from home. I do that every night and Sunday too.

that's one thing i refuse to do. i do not take ANYthing from the shop home with me. i've seen it make too many people go nutty.

2 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Yeah but your also a small business owner in NJ not working for a corporation. Its nearly impossible to get rich or great benefits, the cards are stacked against you. 

you have no clue how true that is.

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

you have no clue how true that is.

Yes I do, I worked for several small businesses in NJ. When I was younger I thought it would be great to be my own boss. Then I realized that means no days off and rarely a vacation, no thanks

5 hours ago, fishnut said:

Yes I do, I worked for several small businesses in NJ. When I was younger I thought it would be great to be my own boss. Then I realized that means no days off and rarely a vacation, no thanks

that is exactly what it means...….but it seems customers think we're sittin' pretty. 

did we scare off the op?

• Like 1

All I will say on here is that I'm an upper manager for a resort chain. The benefits are great, and yes, the hours are terrible sometimes but its very seasonal in most locations. Sorry, they're not hiring anyone other than servers and housekeepers.

I'm not sure what the issue is with a guy who has firearms just for hunting? I feel very much the same way, my guns are mainly for hunting first, target practice second. If all I was out for were guns for home defense, my collection of guns would be very different, and likely a lot smaller. For me, a good pump shotgun or three would do fine around the house for protection.

1 hour ago, greatwhite said:

All I will say on here is that I'm an upper manager for a resort chain. The benefits are great, and yes, the hours are terrible sometimes but its very seasonal in most locations. Sorry, they're not hiring anyone other than servers and housekeepers.

I'm not sure what the issue is with a guy who has firearms just for hunting? I feel very much the same way, my guns are mainly for hunting first, target practice second. If all I was out for were guns for home defense, my collection of guns would be very different, and likely a lot smaller. For me, a good pump shotgun or three would do fine around the house for protection.

Your story is being vetted by the paranoid.. stick around and you’ll have fun with jus us crazy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, greatwhite said:

Upper management? Then use the expense account to pay for gun storage at a place such as gunsitters/fss. Just keep a couple rifles around the house for recreation/target/hunting (no rifle hunting allowed in NJ). Store the other 666 rifles at one of these places. Don't get an FID, buy ammo in PA or order it online. And btw, F... NJ.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Upper management? Then use the expense account to pay for gun storage at a place such as gunsitters/fss. Just keep a couple rifles around the house for recreation/target/hunting (no rifle hunting allowed in NJ). Store the other 666 rifles at one of these places. Don't get an FID, buy ammo in PA or order it online. And btw, F... NJ.

Why not keep them all at his house if they are NJ legal? I had guns for years in NJ without a FID. 

By the way rifle hunting is allowed in NJ although it is limited. 

And I agree F NJ!

On 9/29/2018 at 7:57 PM, diamondd817 said:

I never heard of such a place, so I looked into it. I can firmly say I don't like anything about that idea. I don't think I'd ever bee comfortable placing any of these in the hands of a stranger. Besides, how would I ever know which gun I feel like taking out and looking at or using at any given time. Plus, those places aren't anywhere near me here or the place in NJ.

I think its already been established that everything I've got is likely not going to be a problem in NJ, other maybe moving them to NJ. The logistics of the move itself is going to take a lot of time and that will have to be done by me. I will not let some moving company just pack and haul them. I can just see some low paid mover saying to his buddy, "He'll never miss just one or two".

I have wooden crates meant for holding rifles, but only enough to hold about 1/3 of what is here. I'm working on getting a few more boxes made. Many of my rifles are stored full time in these boxes, which have a padded liner and padded rests for each rifle. There are several rubber straps that secure each one in place. Some boxes hold 4, others hold 8. I think they were military boxes that were retro fitted to hold wood stock hunting rifles or shotguns.

The part I'm leery about is the drive there, its a choice between letting a mover load the boxes and deliver them, or do it myself in a borrowed truck.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:59 PM, 1LtCAP said:

but i gotta repeat the question.....what company ya work for greatwhite?

I wasn't going to remark on this but I figured I should make it clear that as far as benefits, the company I work for, by contract agreement, supplies me with my residence and a suitable vehicle to drive. I have some say in what they are but not the final word. However, they have never refused any of my requests. I own a car and a truck of my own, an 18ft aluminum boat which I paid $500 for used 15 years ago, and I don't get health insurance, the company doesn't employ enough people to make it mandatory at any one location. My personal car is 18 years old, its got 11,400 miles on it, and my truck is 17 years old and has 600 miles on it. I bought the truck new, and the car was inherited. Obviously they don't get used much, I probably haven't put more than 20 miles on either one so far this year. I've been lucky and every place I've been so far has had garage space for my toys. The way I see it, if you can't have your toys, it wouldn't make sense to do this job at all. For years I traveled around a lot, they had me overseeing construction of hotels and restaurants which were part of a chain, It was okay but believe it or not you can get tired living out of an airplane and a duffel bag. I took a stationary position 19 years ago and have moved twice in that time. This next move should be my last till I retire. Where I will retire to is yet to be determined but it won't be NJ, or anyplace with cold weather. I don't make big money, I just don't have many personal expenses. The nature of the business means I don't pay for meals, I don't pay for housing, so no property taxes, no homeowners insurance, no utilities to worry about. Its the only real perk about the job. The car wasn't originally part of the deal but they didn't like me showing up at work in an old car or pickup, so they started giving me a car to drive. The cars are registered to the home office and get swapped around a lot, so I rarely drive the same car for very long. The boat was something I bought on CL, since I live on a lake here. The owner of the company has an offshore boat, I can usually help myself to that when its in the water and not being used. Which in the past few years has been quite often as the owner is in his late 70's these days. He owns several boats in various locations around the country, as well as dozens of houses which he keeps for himself and his kids. When I leave this house, it'll likely be rented out. The house I'm looking to move into is currently rented and the delay in my move is caused by the renter not being able to vacate right away.

I started here as a summer employee in my early 20's and little by little made my self more valuable. I left in the late 80's which is when the deal I have now was made to get me to stay.  I do own a house, but its a 750 square foot house on a lot the size of a postage stamp in FL that was built in the 40's. The garage there is larger than the house. I haven't been there in 3 years due to work but I do have someone who checks on it every few days. Its cheap and my fall back place if the need every arises. I grew up there in the 60's before FL was such an overpopulated mess.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 9:37 PM, greatwhite said:

I spoke to a few lawyers, two from NJ, both said they wouldn't worry much about what's legal or not, just don't let anyone know what you have.

LOL, seriously?  Do they also do firearms charges defense and maybe they like the idea of a potential annuity?

... I have wooden crates meant for holding rifles, but only enough to hold about 1/3 of what is here. I'm working on getting a few more boxes made. Many of my rifles are stored full time in these boxes, which have a padded liner and padded rests for each rifle. There are several rubber straps that secure each one in place. Some boxes hold 4, others hold 8. I think they were military boxes that were retro fitted to hold wood stock hunting rifles or shotguns.

The part I'm leery about is the drive there, its a choice between letting a mover load the boxes and deliver them, or do it myself in a borrowed truck.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-16475/Wood-Crates/Wood-Crate-60-x-60-x-60

I own a car and a truck of my own, an 18ft aluminum boat which I paid $500 for used 15 years ago, and I don't get health insurance, the company doesn't employ enough people to make it mandatory at any one location. My personal car is 18 years old, its got 11,400 miles on it, and my truck is 17 years old and has 600 miles on it. I bought the truck new, and the car was inherited. Obviously they don't get used much, I probably haven't put more than 20 miles on either one so far this year. I've been lucky and every place I've been so far has had garage space for my toys. The way I see it, if you can't have your toys, it wouldn't make sense to do this job at all.

I do own a house, but its a 750 square foot house on a lot the size of a postage stamp in FL that was built in the 40's. The garage there is larger than the house. I haven't been there in 3 years due to work but I do have someone who checks on it every few days.

Nothin for nothin, it's nice that you have "toys", but in reality, doesn't sound like you play that much with them. Sounds like they just sit and collect dust.

Something just doesn't smell right here.....

20 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Honestly I think you and a few others on here are a bit to paranoid and need to relax a little. Not everyone is out to get us.

I see nothing in any of the OPs posts that are suspicious. The guy just had his eyes opened up to all the crazy gun laws in NJ where he has to move for work and came here to try and is trying to find out what he needs to do to comply with the laws. It's not like he is asking about any "loop holes" anything like that.

Most of us on here have grown up in NJ and are somewhat "experts" on NJ gun laws and many take that for granted. People who grew up and lived in free states who move or are moving into NJ are trying to learn all the crazy laws at once while dealing with all the other aspects of moving to another state. 

Please remember that as far as I know NJGF is the best place online for people to learn about gun laws in NJ and that's why from time to time we get noobs asking questions and most often they are NOT antis with bad intentions. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Honestly I think you and a few others on here are a bit to paranoid and need to relax a little. Not everyone is out to get us.

I see nothing in any of the OPs posts that are suspicious.

Did I say someone is out to get us??  The "dots" don't line up to me.

How many people do you know have over 700 firearms and over 10K rounds in every caliber?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

How many people do you know have over 700 firearms and over 10K rounds in every caliber?

3 or 4

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sniper22 said:

What dots and why do they need to line up? 

I know 4 people with over or close to 700 firearms. 3 of them live in NJ. Hell if I start to buy guns again at the rate I was before my daughter was born by the time I'm 60 I'll have over 700 guns. 700 is not that crazy of a number. Neither is 10k of ammo in each calibur I know members of this very forum that have well over 10k of 7.62x54r and x39. How many rounds of Blake's went up in flames? 

But what does it matter if the op has 700 or 7 guns? Why is it such a big deal? Who cares how many guns the OP has, the point is the guy came here to get info on moving to NJ as a a gun owner and the guy got called a troll and that is why more and more on here you see the statement "we eat our own" 

FWIW although it might have seemed that way because I quoted you but my rant was not directed at you. It was directed at everyone on this thread calling the OP a troll without merit. 

15 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I know of either zero or one who fits that description.  I haven’t quite decided yet. 

On 9/29/2018 at 7:57 PM, diamondd817 said:

You apparently haven't looked at what Gunsitters cost.  According to their website it would be $400 a month for a locker that holds up to 100 long guns.  That's $2800 a month for 7 of these lockers or $33,600 a year.  $268,800 for 8 years based on current pricing. The OP may be in upper management but charging that to an expense account will be noticed by the bean counters.  Those upper upper management people who approve expenses will no doubt ask for some explaining.

Gunsitters might be a solution for some situations.  I don't think this is one of them.

3 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You apparently haven't looked at what Gunsitters cost.  According to their website it would be $400 a month for a locker that holds up to 100 long guns.  That's $2800 a month for 7 of these lockers or $33,600 a year.  $268,800 for 8 years based on current pricing. The OP may be in upper management but charging that to an expense account will be noticed by the bean counters.  Those upper upper management people who approve expenses will no doubt ask for some explaining.

Gunsitters might be a solution for some situations.  I don't think this is one of them.

Yep, it would be cheaper to rent an apartment right on the other side of the border just to store the guns.

3 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Nothin for nothin, it's nice that you have "toys", but in reality, doesn't sound like you play that much with them. Sounds like they just sit and collect dust.

Ssshhhhhhh....watch it...you'll be accused of being paranoid....

More than a handful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, capt14k said:

More than a handful.

And to add to this anyone who things that the Antis AKA the enemy ......havent proved or aren't probing this forum for information are woefully naive

• Like 1

And to add to this anyone who things that the Antis AKA the enemy ......havent proved or aren't probing this forum for information are woefully naive
I believe that to be true too. I just looked at the question and answered.

• Like 1

I don't know about the op here but I've been buying rifles and shot guns now for 35 or so years, I don't think I've ever gone to the fleamarket or out yardsale huunting where I haven't come home with at least one more gun. I bought 5 last week at church bazaar here. (All for a good cause too!). The same goes for auctions, and I hit at least two every weekend. There's something about a shotgun or rifle under $50 that I just can't walk away from. Whether its for parts or fix up, or just some dead guys old gun, I can't see just walking past it. It don't take long to pile up hundreds of guns that way. (At last count, I've got over 300 single shot shotguns). No clue if they all work, but I doubt if I've got more than $25 in any one of them. The same goes for ammo, I won't even venture to guess how many 12ga shells I've got here. I bought 6 cases of old shells from the 80's a few weeks ago at Jake's for $5. If they work, fine, if not, I've got some nice casings to reload. I'd be willing to bet though they're all just fine.

Those who have only lived in NJ with their screwed up laws don't understand how easy it should be to buy a gun. Personally, I only buy hunting rifles and shotguns, its all I'm interested in. I rarely target shoot, and when I do, its just to try out something I just bought to make sure its a viable gun for hunting should I decide to grab that one when I go. I'd venture to guess overall I've got well over a 1000 guns, possibly a lot more than that but not all are in ready to use condition. I'd venture to guess that more than half of them haven't been tested or fired by me and half of those again are likely just parts guns that I bought for a few bucks to have spare wood, spare barrels, etc. If a gun has a broken stock or if the barrel has been cut down it goes in the parts pile up in the loft in the barn. (Old tires stacked three high make good gun racks up there).

With all this in mind, if I had to pull up roots and move full time to NJ, about 80% of what I've got would get parted out or dumped here. To me, they wouldn't be worth the effort to go about packing them up and moving them. I'd probably sort through the lot of parts guns and separate them in three piles, those that have potential to be fixed or restored, those that are just too far gone and will only donate a few bits and pieces, and those that are too obscure or odd to bother saving. Every once in a while when I know I likely have more than one of the same gun in that pile, I'll pull them out and see if I can make one out of several and shelve the rest. Broken, cut, rotted, or termite eaten stocks is the most common issue, after that its rust or pitting. About a year ago I went through everything up there and weeded out all the black powder guns and traded them away for a few rifles I can use. The loft has sort of become my own personal gun junkyard so to speak. I don't know if that would even fly in NJ, and I certainly couldn't have all that up there without worrying about some kid getting into it. Here, all I do is let the dogs sleep up there full time.

So you can see its not hard to believe someone has 700 guns or more. I'd be leery if the guy was saying he had 700 fine collectibles but from what he's described, his lot of guns don't sound much different than mine.

As to how many people I know with a huge lot of rifles and shotguns? Just about all my hunting buddies here, in fact, the guy who taught me to hunt a kid here makes me look like an amateur at best. Its hard to walk through his house without worrying about knocking over a stack of guns that are leaning against either the corner of the room, a piece of furniture, or just piled up on the couch. They're in the living room, hallways, kitchen, bedrooms, on the porch, in the breezeway, in the garage, in the sheds, stacked up and down the staircase, everywhere. So much so the floors are sagging from the weight. He's 82 and won't part with a single one, I've tried. The way I see it, if your going to be a hoarder, its better he's hoarding shotguns and rifles rather than old newspapers or cats. The way I see it, a hoard of guns like that is better off there than being sold off at some gun buyback in the city or left to rust away somewhere. The part that bothers me about his collection of guns is that he started it when guns were really cheap, he likely didn't pay but a buck or two of most of them.

• Like 2