greatwhite

Work is moving me from PA to NJ. I'm an avid gun collector.

If your firearms are exclusively for putting food on the table, why would you need more than a dozen or so of them? Let alone 700? Lol. Confused me with that. I mean i understand having a purpose for what you have other than 'play'.. but you cant possibky have a legitimate hunting use for 700 freakin long guns.... 10? 20? Even 30? Sure, i guess, but not 700... lol. 

• Like 1

If your firearms are exclusively for putting food on the table, why would you need more than a dozen or so of them? Let alone 700? Lol. Confused me with that. I mean i understand having a purpose for what you have other than 'play'.. but you cant possibky have a legitimate hunting use for 700 freakin long guns.... 10? 20? Even 30? Sure, i guess, but not 700... lol. 
He collects them. Why is that so hard for so many to understand. As I said I know more than a handful of older guys who have more than 700 firearms. To be honest they each have more than 700 rifles alone. One has more than 700 Mosin Nagants. Yes he uses some to hunt and he collects the rest. Guy in upstate NY I know goes to the flea markets every week. He used to come back with an armful of firearms. Now it is usually bayonets and grammophones. He is over 1,200 and easy 10,000 rounds per caliber. Even scarce ammo by today's standards such as .30-40 Krag or .45-70 Government he has over 10,000 rounds of each. He hunts with his modern rifles and stores away the rest.

I bought 4 rifles this past weekend. If I did that every other weekend that is 100 rifles a year. Within 7 years I would be over 700 firearms if I didn't sell any. Assume OP was born in 1960, based on what he has written. If he started buying firearms in 1978 he has been at it 40 years. To amass 700 firearms he would only need to buy 18 a year or one every 3 weeks. That is easy to do, especially being he is single.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, capt14k said:

He collects them. Why is that so hard for so many to understand. As I said I know more than a handful of older guys who have more than 700 firearms. To be honest they each have more than 700 rifles alone. One has more than 700 Mosin Nagants. Yes he uses some to hunt and he collects the rest. Guy in upstate NY I know goes to the flea markets every week. He used to come back with an armful of firearms. Now it is usually bayonets and grammophones. He is over 1,200 and easy 10,000 rounds per caliber. Even scarce ammo by today's standards such as .30-40 Krag or .45-70 Government he has over 10,000 rounds of each. He hunts with his modern rifles and stores away the rest.

I bought 4 rifles this past weekend. If I did that every other weekend that is 100 rifles a year. Within 7 years I would be over 700 firearms if I didn't sell any. Assume OP was born in 1960, based on what he has written. If he started buying firearms in 1978 he has been at it 40 years. To amass 700 firearms he would only need to buy 18 a year or one every 3 weeks. That is easy to do, especially being he is single.

I completely understand that.
I Just hate the FUDD mentality. The whole "All of my guns have practical purposes/put food on the table/are for hunting other than competition/range/plinking" thing when you have hundreds of rifles is complete nonsense/bullshit. Have no problem with people collecting them, i think thats awesome. I Don't even have a dozen but if i could afford to i would have a hell of a lot more. 

• Like 1

I Just hate the FUDD mentality. The whole "All of my guns have practical purposes/put food on the table/are for hunting other than competition/range/plinking" thing when you have hundreds of rifles is complete nonsense/bullshit. Have no problem with people collecting them, i think thats awesome. I Don't even have a dozen but if i could afford to i would have a hell of a lot more. 
Yes FUUDs suck. However so do AR guys. As a collector of Spanish American War-French Indochine War. In a way I feel collectors get it from both ends. Carry is for everyone. Mag limits don't affect FUUDs so they don't care, but at the same time I'm sure there won't be any lawsuits in regards to the NJSP ruling and enforcement of the new C&R laws as written. My understanding is they agree the law says firearms can be shipped directly to FFL03 but that it isn't going to happen. FUUDs and AR guys don't care.

• Like 1

I Don't even have a dozen but if i could afford to i would have a hell of a lot more.

Think funds hold back most firearm owners... likely more than state laws.

I was at 50 for a little while, but sold off some stuff I didn’t really care about... at 46 right this moment. My friend Paul, who owned NJ Arms (passed away a few months back), was in a great position to have plenty of different firearms. We always would BS when I stopped by, but numbers came up once. I believe I was somewhere between 40-45 at the time, which was matched by his under 12 (want to say it was under 10, but forget the actual number). People have different desires, and a guy who could get mostly anything he wanted, he rather stock cool stuff than own it. He had a Barrett .50 sitting in stock for a few months. Don’t think he pushed it, but would show people/friends who liked guns... and if someone said they wanted a rifle with some power behind it, he would bring it up.

Ammo, total count (thanks to AmmoBase) is 20,027. Most of a single caliber is .22 LR (3,750... add 550 if you want to consider .22 Long CB), and my Russian calibers usually are above 1,000 each. 5.56mm is about 1,500, and over 2,000 in 9mm... both hold around there, but fluctuate as I run through it/restock. FFL-03 made restocking noticeably easier on the wallet from dealer programs by Grafs and others.

However, I do have an ongoing list... well, actually two. First list is everything I want to do with the guns I currently have; refinish some, finish the build on that AR lower sitting in PA, get threaded barrels for two pistols (suppressing my Glock 30S and SIG P938 when I move), and convert a few guns to non-NJ compliance (M1A will get a bayonet lug/flash hider). A good chunk of my work will be done outside of NJ, due to legal reasons... but moot point, since I should be out within the year (if not a little sooner). Only modification I’m actually going to get done somewhat soon is converting my S&W 1006 to decock only.

Second list is guns I’m buying as funds allow. More of a bucket list type of thing, which right now only has 15 on it. Likely, things will change when I leave, and I might want to buy more... but those are things I’m going to get. There are a few C&R pistols (Makarov, CZ-52, revolvers), that I might pickup at Oaks if I get a good deal/seller that doesn’t have an issue selling legally to a FFL-03... but when I move and change my license over, they can also be shipped straight to my home. Only non-C&R pistols I want are a Hi-Power (that stainless one, likely with a SFS trigger), .45 Luger (from Lugerman... but if I don’t get it, not the end of the world), and a NAA Ranger II. Long guns... M1A1 (Fulton, but likely get a standard M1 Carbine stock with it), S&W M&P-10, and a Ruger Mini-14. Last option is sort of a mix, but either a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 or PTR 9CT (likely start with a pistol)... SBRed and a suppressor for it.

I don’t think the OP is a troll, but having 700 guns and not knowing about an FFL-03, he likely bought most of his stuff in person, and would venture to say isn’t too big on internet forums. If he was completely just asking about illegal stuff, or had some type of story about how he has X “assault weapon,” and wants to keep it... then maybe. Look at the ATF... they registered accounts to multiple firearms forums to attempt to acquire firearms illegally. Within talking to a few members, all were reported and the members warned the rest of the forum about these people asking shady stuff. If liberals want to join and troll... I think it really is just a waste of their time.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, capt14k said:

I have a line a two M1A1 paratrooper carbines with original jump bag. Just hope the old guy lives long enough for me to move and buy them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m sure he wishes you good health as well.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2018 at 7:43 AM, Lambo2936 said:

For me, its both a matter of buying them to use, or just to collect or own. If its cheap, I'll buy it. I don't think I've ever paid more than $75 or so for any of my guns, and I'd venture to guess most were less than $25. I stopped at a yardsale a few weeks ago and bought two minty clean bolt action Marlin shotguns for $40, I'd venture to guess neither one has ever been fired before. I stopped at a fleamarket today and left with three more, two single shot shotguns and a bolt action .22, and I didn't break a hundred dollar bill. Plus I picked up two milk crates full of misc. shot gun actions, stocks, and two arm fulls of barrels for $20 at another table. I've been buying like this for 35 or so years. It don't take long to have several hundred or more. I tend to stock up this time of year to give me some winter projects to work on. I gain roughly 100 or so each year these days.

I don't just by guns, I'm also always on the look out for tools, vintage audio and fishing gear. I haven't counted lately but I've got more than 1,500 fishing rods and twice as many reels. I have so many rods and reels that I had to build them their own addition on the garage about 12 years ago. I collect more than I use most things but I do so because I can.

1 hour ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Bubbaj, that is quite a collection of fishing gear!  Can you post a pic?  Would love to see how you have your 4,500 rods and reels stored and organized.

Doesn't his post say 1,500?

I've been reading this now for a week, as someone who lives in both PA and NJ, I don't think those who have only lived in NJ realize how easy it is to buy a long gun in other states. Its no different than buying a fishing rod in most cases. I hit every yardsale, fleamarket, and auction I can every week, I don't think there's ever been a week where I didn't buy at least one rifle or shotgun cheap and the same goes for fishing rods and reels. I caught hell this weekend because I overstuffed the car so bad the hitch was dragging the ground in both rifles and reels, and ammo and I didn't even manage to spend a $100. I'd say I've got just as many guns as the next guy, but I've never really counted. All I know is that my garage and attic are about stuffed at my PA house. I'm selling my jersey house because the taxes on a 1/4 acre lot with a 70 year old two bedroom house have passed the $6k point this year. Being on a fixed income, I have no choice. I'll be lucky to get $70k for the place from what I'm told but they assessed it at $140. I've got 4 acres in PA, and my taxes are under $500.
I can't imagine being forced to live in NJ. As it is, I can't stand being there more than a few days a year anymore. There's just too many things you can't do or can't buy and you pay top dollar not to.  I can't imagine how so many people manage to stay residents of that state? Who in their right mind voted for those laws or the idiots who passed them?

I'm not sure how others store their long guns but I'm always looking for ideas. Guns safes are a waste of space, and I'd need 50 of them or more. Right now my guns are everywhere in the house, leaning 6ft deep in corners, against the back of the couch, in plastic trash cans, in cardboard barrels in the garage, and piled in wood boxes in the attic and rafters. My fishing rods are in homemade wood rod racks just like you see them in the store. I keep about 40 or so with reels on them that I use, then the rest are just rods with the reels stored in Rubbermaid tubs under the benches, in the attic, etc. I bought a box of about 100 reels for $20 at a yardsale last week, about half of them were nice, the rest are so-so at best, but they were cheap. My garage looks like a forest of rods with guns in barrels in between. I've been here for 50 years, so its taken a while but I don't think I ever want to really take a count of what I've got. Most of my buddies are the same way, only a few add bows and crossbows to their lists as well. A few also are into old model trains too. My brother collects speakers, he's got three houses full of vintage speakers. My uncle collected chainsaws and cash registers here, when he passed it took me a year just to move them all to my place here. We counted 1230 old chainsaws and 400 brass cash registers. One by  one they're getting sold online and at various auctions, but right now they're taking up space where I could be putting more guns and fishing rods.
I think some people who don't understand how somethings can be had cheap at auctions and estate sales just can't grasp how a collection can easily reach massive proportions in short time. I rarely spend any serious amount of money, rarely do I break the $20 mark, but I always find something to make it worth my while to be at any given sale or auction.

When it comes to my guns or fishing tackle, I never sell, once its mine, its going to be mine forever. So the number in my collection will continue to increase till I'm gone. All the anti-gun hype lately has only added to my collection, it seems that lately I've been finding more and more old family heirloom type guns for sale cheap all around here.

• Like 1

I agree with what these guys have stated cheap old guns can be bought cheap. I'm talking 5 for $100. They have zero collectible value and never will. Most are single shot. However they go boom. Why people buy them I don't know. I've bought lots with some Milsurps and some cheap old rifles and shotguns. I have literally given away the non Milsurps.

44 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I agree with what these guys have stated cheap old guns can be bought cheap. I'm talking 5 for $100. They have zero collectible value and never will. Most are single shot. However they go boom. Why people buy them I don't know. I've bought lots with some Milsurps and some cheap old rifles and shotguns. I have literally given away the non Milsurps.

There are people that collect just about everything.  Train schedules, pencils, matchbooks, and anything else you can imagine.  I don't see a lot of sense in some of these collections but I don't have to, the person doing the collecting has.  As far as value that's debatable.  A friend has a collection of beer taps. Most were given to him and some he bought in junk shops and flea markets.  Some are worth several hundred dollars.  He also buys fishing reels.  He has one he bought in a box of others for $10 that's worth over $2000.

Two $20 single barrel shotguns might make one nice one worth $100 with 10 minutes work.

There are people that collect just about everything.  Train schedules, pencils, matchbooks, and anything else you can imagine.  I don't see a lot of sense in some of these collections but I don't have to, the person doing the collecting has.  As far as value that's debatable.  A friend has a collection of beer taps. Most were given to him and some he bought in junk shops and flea markets.  Some are worth several hundred dollars.  He also buys fishing reels.  He has one he bought in a box of others for $10 that's worth over $2000.
Two $20 single barrel shotguns might make one nice one worth $100 with 10 minutes work.

I don't disagree with that either. Just saying what these guy stare about armloads of old rifles and shotguns for a $20 bill is true and still happens.

Smithneil:  Welcome to NJGUNFORUMS! Joining and managing to resurrect a four year old thread in your first and only post, seems rather suspect.  

Recommend you introduce yourself in the "Introductions" thread lest we think you are a troll; as was the original OP of this thread.

14 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

seems rather suspect

Actually, there are some subtle similarities in the last two new posters here (e.g. username is in the format [lastname][firstname] all lowercase, generic content of the post). Wouldn't surprise me if it's some kind of bot using a ChatGPT type engine ...

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Actually, there are some subtle similarities in the last two new posters here (e.g. username is in the format [lastname][firstname] all lowercase, generic content of the post). Wouldn't surprise me if it's some kind of bot using a ChatGPT type engine ...

Yes, I noticed that as well.

Btw, there is a history to this that I have vivid memory of.   About four years ago there was a trio of troll accounts all having "fish" themed account names, greatwhite being one of them.  At the time, I corresponded with the Moderators and the situation was dealt with.  Perhaps that person has reappeared and resurrected their old thread.