Sign in to follow this  

Garbage stolen

I always put out my garbage in Lowes heavy black plastic bags. Well last tues. I had a white bag from the garage that I thro some papers,nothing personal. Well came home from the store and the bag was gone! I should have filed a PoPo report. But I hate to bother them just for a bag gone. I guess it was someone fishing! Thoughts?

Not sure about that. Years ago it was still private property till picked up or disposed of properly. I could be wrong.

Nobody really cares and are normally happy its gone. Just make sure your wife doesn’t accidentally throw her wedding ring away. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a friend in law endorcrment who actually camps out sometimes and checks “suspects” garbage.

has to be left on the public street.

left in driveway or on private property is a no no. 

38 minutes ago, Gunnz said:

Have a friend in law endorcrment who actually camps out sometimes and checks “suspects” garbage.

has to be left on the public street.

left in driveway or on private property is a no no. 

This was left on private prop. I think someone doc hunting.

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

it's not illegal to take stuff once it's at the curb. that said.......never throw ANYthing away that might give someone info on you without shredding it. and nearly anything can.

This is why I don't bring my trash to the road until right before the truck comes. Eliminates the "pick-thru" opportunities.

30 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

This is why I don't bring my trash to the road until right before the truck comes. Eliminates the "pick-thru" opportunities.

it does. I put my cans out the night before. but.....anything paper work wise....if it has anyones name that lives here or has lived here.....it goes through the shredder. in the winter, it contributes to kindling for the wood stove. anything expensive I might've bought.....or anything firearm related......goes to the shop, and into the dumpster there. 

17 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

it's not illegal to take stuff once it's at the curb. that said.......never throw ANYthing away that might give someone info on you without shredding it. and nearly anything can.

Precisely!  Financial Statements (Bank, CC, etc.) all get shredded before they go out in the trash.  All shipping boxes (Amazon, etc,) get stripped of any labels that might be stuck on. before they go into recycling.  If they're glued on, I'll take an X-acto knife and cut them out. This one's important for a couple of reasons. First, You don't want anyone to know what's being shipped to your house, lest it be targeted  for a burglary ( I don't leave those boxes in front of my house), and you don't want any "govt authorities" knowing that info. either.  Someone who throws out a box with, say, "Federal Ammo" branding on it.... is asking for trouble (and a potential visit from the 2A police).   Also, it's not a huge deal today, but I continue to strip labels, etc. religiously off of Amazon boxes in case there were Dept. of Revenue agents looking to see if I had too may "internet sales" for which use tax might not have been paid. Again, not a huge deal today because Amazon got tax Nexus both in NJ and FL, so most shipments are already taxed (only if it's sold by a 3rd party but fulfilled by Amazon won't it get taxed if shipped out of state). 

It's funny... I recall an old film starring Hal Holbrook and Michael Douglas called "The Star Chamber.' It's about a group of judges that are upset over some of  the rulings they have to make in certain cases that they feel were not "justice served," usually because the defendant got away with their crime.  If, after review, the judges feel that the defendant was guilty, they enacted some "Street justice" unbeknownst to "the system."  Well, the case that opens the movie involves a couple of undercover detectives that are seeking evidence from a BG in that BG's trash bin.  They know they can't search the trash bin as it's attached to the house (and thus, they need a warrant).  But they ponder the possibility of searching the garbage truck once the trash bin is dumped into it.  They even get the truck driver to empty the truck scoop (one of those older trucks with the scoop in the back) before he dumps the suspect trash bin into it. They search the truck and find what they're looking for.  At trial, the defense counsel made the argument that because the truck driver did not operate the scoop so that the trash did not transfer to the main body of the truck and mix with the other trash, then the truck scoop became an "extension" of the trash bin and was therefore subject to the 4th amendment protection of a search warrant.  The judge in the case (Michael Douglas) was forced to rule for the defense.  Hence, the first case he took to "The Start Chamber," after being invited to join the group by Hal Holbrook,

9 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I have two kids in diapers. Go through my trash, I dare you. 

Now that my son is wearing big boy pants, I use the cat litter after it's been HEAVILY used, just like your plan. Actually worse than the diapers in some ways. Contents are not encased,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Other than newspapers, magazines, and junk mail, we shred everything. This includes all address and shipping labels.  I also bring my targets home with me from the range and photograph them as a means to learn and shoot better over time.  I also shred those paper targets.

Why are you guys so worried about your name and shipping address? 

You can find nearly anyones home address online, it took barely a month for me to pop up after I moved into my new house. 

I certainly understand the sensitive stuff, which is what people are after.

2a police coming to my house cause i threw out a box labeled "federal ammunition"?

• Like 4

Why does everyone think that once the garbage man picks up the trash all is well? Do we trust them more than we trust the Popo? Are people still getting bills in the mail nowadays? I can't remember the last time I even mailed a letter.

• Like 1

if a guy really wanted your info im sure he could just reach into your mailbox after the postal worker delivers your mail, no?  

im with voyager...  good luck not vomitting from my baby's shit filled diapers...  

plus the internet probably gives way more info on anyone really looking for it

18 minutes ago, fatty said:

if a guy really wanted your info im sure he could just reach into your mailbox after the postal worker delivers your mail, no?  

im with voyager...  good luck not vomitting from my baby's shit filled diapers...  

plus the internet probably gives way more info on anyone really looking for it

he could. and he could be charged federally if/when caught too. on the other hand.....there's no law against going through your neighbors trash once it's at the curb. so no risk there.

Up here in the woods we don't have garbage pickup or mail delivery. I take my trash to the dump and throw it into the compactor my self and I have a P.o. box for mail. The only thing I gotta worry about is bear stealing my garbage so I have to keep it in the garage.