planenut

NJ Manufactured AR's

Hi everyone. Not too long ago I dealt with Modern Materiel for an FFL transfer and while there I got to check out some of their rifles. They seem good from the samples that I handled. I was curious if anyone has bought any of them and if so how's the quality compared to one from a major manufacturer? I also remember seeing a web site a few years back for another NJ company that manufactured AR type rifles (I think it was up near Randolph?), but my site search has turned up nothing. I was also curious to know if there were any other NJ companies that manufacture AR's and if so how's their quality? I'm considering this because quite frankly I thinks great to see a local manufacturer that does this sort of thing and a great way to give a great big middle finger to this oppressive state:sarcastic:.

• Like 1

Paul, their name and address is on the receiver built to their specs and they now have a manufacturing license to include machine guns.

N646FDH.jpg

With the exception of maybe FN, every manufacturer out there sources spec’d parts and assembles. 

BLUF: I am biased as I’m pretty close with those guys and may have had just a teeny-tiny bit of input on the Modern Materiel Patrol line.

Their rifles are pretty fucking good in my opinion. Soft shooting and very reliable in the two years I have been using them. It’s the rifle I regularly grab first when going to the range.

evISLQe.jpg

I shot this group with the above rifle.

50 yards, prone off the magazine. Federal TRU 64gr soft nose.:

O83m708.jpg

It is my favorite rifle to shoot and I try to get as many people as I can to get their hands on this rifle. As soon as they start shooting I get what I call “the look”. It’s always the same. They turn and look at me, their eyes get wide and their eyebrows go up. I nod and smile at them saying “yup. I told you.” Then there are many smiles, much trigger pulling, and there was much rejoicing!

Over the two years I have been involved with MM and the development of the Patrol series, there has been a lot of trial and error and vetting of parts. We settled on the Ballistic Advantage 14.5” mienghr QPQ barrels early on and have been very pleased with their accuracy. All quality parts selected like Magpul furniture, ALG ACT trigger, Strike hand stop, Streamlight scout light and Holosun optic. We loved from a keymod to an MLOK free float tube. 

The goal was to build quality at a value price and I think we nailed it.

Currently a there are a couple of PDs in N.J. running our gun and quite a few officers who purchased these guns with their own money to use on duty. 

The fact that they are built right here in Jersey is just the icing on the cake!

• Like 4

Hey guys this is Joe with Modern Materiel. If anyone would like to hit the range and try out some of our rifles all they have to do is shoot me an e-mail Joe@modernmateriel.

Besides making law enforcement and civilian weapons we do everything we can to support the Second Amendment as well as you our brothers and sisters in Firearms Community. Our training department is on the Range every day educating Law enforcement and civilians on how to Safely and effectively use firearms. We also do Firearms modifications including cerakoting.

Please reach out to me anytime you'd like and let me know how we can be of service.

Thank you very much for the support. 

Joe Savio 

Modern Materiel 

[email protected] 

• Like 5

Someone had asked if we manufacture or Assemble so to clarify most major manufacturers Just assemble from parts that are  manufactured at other places . We are a licensed manufacturer and sot. We buy from the same forges that Colt, Daniel Defense, Etc by their parts from as well we have in 2 years of R&D before we put out our first rifle. There is a difference between professional shooters building rifles then a conveyor belt of shop workers. We know what the end result needs to be and we assemble and tune our guns to perform at their absolute best. The proof is in the pudding so come shoot with me anytime. Thanks again.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, planenut said:

Hi everyone. Not too long ago I dealt with Modern Materiel for an FFL transfer and while there I got to check out some of their rifles. They seem good from the samples that I handled. I was curious if anyone has bought any of them and if so how's the quality compared to one from a major manufacturer? I also remember seeing a web site a few years back for another NJ company that manufactured AR type rifles (I think it was up near Randolph?), but my site search has turned up nothing. I was also curious to know if there were any other NJ companies that manufacture AR's and if so how's their quality? I'm considering this because quite frankly I thinks great to see a local manufacturer that does this sort of thing and a great way to give a great big middle finger to this oppressive state:sarcastic:.

http://grimmtactical.com They're in Wharton, NJ. 

I transferred a shotgun through their FFL. Nice guy, he was a machinist by trade IIRC. He was showing me something that had been recently done for a customer. I don't know I'd it was a poor application or I have too high expectations for Cerekote, but some spots appeared to have pitting (maybe the finish was previously pitted?). I won't judge them on that one example though. Check out their website.

I've see a bunch of examples from Modern Materiel, and they do good work, especially grip jobs and slide serrations. Their applicator for Cerekote appears to do a fantastic job. When I finally decide to pull the trigger on some customization I'll head down to Modern Materiel despite being much closer to Wharton. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CageFighter said:

a friend of mine who is a new shooter, is thinking about this rifle, can you buy direct from MM?  Sadly, I am not a fan of the dealer in my area, I get screwed somehow everytime I go there.

Sure. I got both of mine direct and they took about 4-6 weeks each. 

I visited MM. Never shot one, but I  handled one of there 16inch models. Rifle was light and well balanced. Fit and Finish looked great. When funds become available it’s definitely on my to buy list.