hartsfw

FID wait times

So! I have started the process of obtaining my FID, mostly so I can get a job working at the new RTSP Union location when it opens. I have a question for yall though, does anyone here know how long it generally takes for the South Orange PD to issue permits? Am I looking at a reasonable time, or a 6+ month wait? Unfortunately I won't be considered for a position there until my FID has been issued and I would like to have some idea...

Thanks in advance!

I can't help with your original question, but if you will forgive some advice.......If it were me, I would reach out to the chief and explain that your employment rests on the FID, and respectfully request it get handled asap.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

I can't help with your original question, but if you will forgive some advice.......If it were me, I would reach out to the chief and explain that your employment rests on the FID, and respectfully request it get handled asap.

That is a fantastic idea! Thank you!

11 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Why would you need an FID to work there? Don't they do their own backround check?

FID shows criminal history check already done and has SBI number making another easier.  IIRC there also is an additional NJ State ID required for employees at a gun shop. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

FID shows criminal history check already done and has SBI number making another easier.  IIRC there also is an additional NJ State ID required for employees at a gun shop. 

Yes, it is called a pink card and is another background check that permits you to act on the behalf of a FFL.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

So, having an FID card is a State requirement to work at a gun shop/ffl or is that just company policy? Or is it that you need your FID to get a pink card?

My guess is before they waste time and resources getting employees the mentioned 'pink card' they want em to have an fid so they know they can/will pass.. saves them time, money, etc rather than waiting months on an employee, training, etc. Only for em to fail.

The application asks >

(16) If you possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, list the number.

So I would say a FPID is not required.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

FPID not required.  You need a pink card which is virtually same but just for employment.  If you have an fpid your pink card will have same sbi #. 

My initial FID was in South Orange. It took 6 months after all app requirements were fulfilled. I think the officer who oversees the FIDs is Lt. Levanda or something like that. You will need to call periodically just to check on the status after 2-3 months from the date that they receieve references and finger prints.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

On 9/21/2018 at 8:36 AM, Lambo2936 said:

My guess is before they waste time and resources getting employees the mentioned 'pink card' they want em to have an fid so they know they can/will pass.. saves them time, money, etc rather than waiting months on an employee, training, etc. Only for em to fail.

That would be my guess.

I'll add that having your SBI number won't necessarily make the process of getting either your employee of a dealer card or your FID any quicker, but it pretty much guarantees that you'll be approved. I had my employee of firearms dealer card prior to getting my FID and it still took forever to get my FID. My residence and job were in the same town and I applied for the FID only a month or two after getting the dealer card. :wacko: