DirtyDigz

Patching a hole in car door?

GF managed to catch her car door against a fire hydrant outlet cap while pulling into someone's driveway.

It punctured the metal and peeled it back/coiled it almost like a sardine can opening strip.

The door now has about a foot long/ 3" high hole gouged into it.

Replacement car door/insurance deductible isn't in the immediate budget, and might not be by winter.

What can I do to patch the hole that will possibly last through the winter?

Keep in mind if you patch it like @Displaced Texan says you need to remember you have electrics in the door. Window, door locks, and mirror controls. Get that patch with sealant on it ASAP.  If you don't have time to get that metal patch on soon at least put some duct tape on it.

A junk yard door (especially if you find one in the same color) is the easiest fix.  Depending on what kind of car it is it may not be the least expensive. A body man who really knows how to weld may be able to patch it and paint it for less.  Just something to keep in mind.

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Wow! Army vs navy ugly 

No no. Not a competition!!!  When you get down to it the Navy is the only one designed to fight on or under 70% of the surface of the earth.  They also can fight on the remaining 30% from the air.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Grand Prix??:D

Yeah, few years ago my wife was going to drive it and said the parking brake was stuck and could I take it off for her.  I learned into car and hit it with my hand to disengage it.  She had the car in reverse and it starts rolling down the slight hill that our driveway is almost knocking me over.  I managed to jump into it and stop it from going across street and into neighbors car but not before driver door hit retaining wall and bent door wrong way.,

Body shop was able to bend it back and closely perfectly but there are dents in it.  Been this way for a few years now.  I just need to get get motivated and find matching door and swap it out.  Probably should do your as well.  I hit it a little to hard a few too many times getting ice off it one year after an ice storm.

Still runs like a champ though.  :)

I love my Grand Prix.

• Like 1

If you use tape to do a temp fix might want to look into gaffers tape, it's called hundred mile an hour tape for a reason. Duct tape will stay for a bit but it will fall off sooner than later, especially with all.the rain we have gotten. All jokes aside though that flex tape isn't a bad temporary option, it will be.weather proof,. It Jas to be, it says so on the internet. 

On 9/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, GRIZ said:

@Displaced Texan is that what they use on submarines now? :)

Actually, a very long time ago on my last boat, someone dropped a sail access plate overboard during maintenance. 

They were made for each submarine. 

We had to cover the hole with duct tape until we could have a plate made. It was approximately 12”x24”. 

Surprisingly, it lasted several dives before we received the new plate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMich3 said:

it's called hundred mile an hour tape for a reason.

If you want 200 mile an hour tape (like NASCAR uses), try Bear Bond:

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Bond-All-Use-Repair-Tape/dp/B01M5CMKPV

• Can be Used to Repair Virtually Anything!
  • Reinforced with a Layer of Aluminum
  • PATCH large holes, cracks, gaps and tears!
  • Material is Paintable
  • Super Adhesive Material Sticks to Almost Anything
  • Like 1