Lambo2936

A 12G for shotgun sports

Looking into getting into trap/skeet/sporting clays. I dont know the difference, and know zilch about what shotty to get. A Beretta al390 gold sport popped up on mewe that looks beautiful. 30" barrel (including choke). Would something like that be able to be used for any of those or are they specific? When i join a club ill be looking to get into it, not comps but for fun. Im a short dude (5'5" with shoes on.. LOL). So i dont know if thats something i could even comfortably handle. IMO something shorter would likely be better.

I also want something i could potentially use for something like 3 gun or just general plinking if thats even possible to do. The beretta i saw is semi so thats a plus. Just wondering what i should be looking for, by no means am i set on that. Would rather buy 2nd hand and save $$, i may end up not even liking this stuff. 

Really liking quinton as long as they are friendly with steel targets. 

Hi!
I love sporting clays! Personally I use a Beretta A400 Lite. It's semi auto, and although a few serious shotgunners have told me I should invest in an over under, it suits my needs just fine for the moment. If you're looking to save a few bucks because you're not quite committed to getting into shotgun sports, I would suggest test driving/ renting/ borrowing as many different styles as you can get your hands on BEFORE throwing money away on something you might not love. There's something personal about the fit and swing of a shotgun that someone can't suggest over the internet. I'm a medium framed female, 5'4" (without shoes on, lol) and what fits my cheek/ shoulder/ hands might not be the same as you. Previously I was using a hand me down 870 pump to bust clays. It wasn't pretty or the best tool for the job, but it got my foot in the door for a hobby I love.

Hope I could help!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Looking into getting into trap/skeet/sporting clays. I dont know the difference, and know zilch about what shotty to get. A Beretta al390 gold sport popped up on mewe that looks beautiful. 30" barrel (including choke). Would something like that be able to be used for any of those or are they specific? When i join a club ill be looking to get into it, not comps but for fun. Im a short dude (5'5" with shoes on.. LOL). So i dont know if thats something i could even comfortably handle. IMO something shorter would likely be better.

I also want something i could potentially use for something like 3 gun or just general plinking if thats even possible to do. The beretta i saw is semi so thats a plus. Just wondering what i should be looking for, by no means am i set on that. Would rather buy 2nd hand and save $$, i may end up not even liking this stuff. 

Really liking quinton as long as they are friendly with steel targets. 

Well shoot what ya got,get,or want.. you know your not buying only one.

I’ve tried @louu‘s and @Purple Patrick‘s stoeger ( idk model, it’s the 3gun one) nice gun, but reach to trigger feels too long for my hands. Wife and I have 11-87’s. Loading is kinda a pain, and I occasionally get a failure to cycle. Over unders are probably in our future, but we’ve all ready got our feet wet.

cant go wrong with a pump.. I would recommend  a standard version, then get mag extension and shorter barrels from there. I have an 870 hd model with factory extended mag, soo I’m limited on barrels ( mistake, but hindsight is 20/20)

Clays are fun! And frustrating! Lol

Yes you can shoot steel at Quinton and you can draw from a holster.

I like the stoger m3k, that's the gun zeke is talking about above. It's great for a cheap all around shotgun. I had to cut an inch off the stock to make it fit me and change the shim. I would not buy one used though, tanners usually has them for around 550. It's not the best sporting clays/trap/5 stand gun. If I was more into that I would get the browning cetori because that gun fits me perfectly and has an amazing trigger. That might not be the gun for you though. Like ms 12 guage said the gun has to fit you so you have to try as many as you can before you buy. I shot a few Beretta over and unders that probably cost more than a new harley and couldn't hit anything with them because they didn't fit me.

Beretta is making a 3 gun ready 1301 that is pretty sweet. I wouldn't get it though just cus the safety is in front of the trigger.

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Well shoot what ya got,get,or want.. you know your not buying only one.

I’ve tried @louu‘s and @Purple Patrick‘s stoeger ( idk model, it’s the 3gun one) nice gun, but reach to trigger feels too long for my hands. Wife and I have 11-87’s. Loading is kinda a pain, and I occasionally get a failure to cycle. Over unders are probably in our future, but we’ve all ready got our feet wet.

cant go wrong with a pump.. I would recommend  a standard version, then get mag extension and shorter barrels from there. I have an 870 hd model with factory extended mag, soo I’m limited on barrels ( mistake, but hindsight is 20/20)

Clays are fun! And frustrating! Lol

Gotta stick with one for now. Im on a budget lol. House thing is delayed til my parents old house sells, until then just trying to save what i can.

Hey another question. 20G vs 12G? Can either be used or is one better for whatever reason? Obviously a 20g will be smaller but would also have lower recoil (a plus IMO, thanks to my being teeny and all). Would also maybe be better for the new shooters i often bring along. 12G is a bit rough.

I prefer 12. Having a wider pattern makes it easier for newbies to hit targets. Recoil can be mitigated with a longer barrel or lighter target loads. Again, I'm a girl and not very strong and I still primarily use 12 Gauge. (Hence the handle)

Hey another question. 20G vs 12G? Can either be used or is one better for whatever reason? Obviously a 20g will be smaller but would also have lower recoil (a plus IMO, thanks to my being teeny and all). Would also maybe be better for the new shooters i often bring along. 12G is a bit rough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

I prefer 12. Having a wider pattern makes it easier for newbies to hit targets. Recoil can be mitigated with a longer barrel or lighter target loads. Again, I'm a girl and not very strong and I still primarily use 12 Gauge. (Hence the handle)

I figured smaller gauge would have less pellets and would therefore make it harder. Makes sense i guess. I never realized how massive of a variety of 12 gauges there are. This is like my Intro to AR's all over again. FML lol. Much to learn.... if anyone sees a good deal please send it my way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambo2936 said:

My understanding is most 20ga are also lighter weight, so the felt recoil ends up being about even vs. a 12ga.  A 20 may be easier for someone with problems holding up the gun, but recoil would still be about the same.  A problem I have encountered with most new women shooters has been the weight of the front of the gun (specifically in my cases, rifles) when standing or otherwise unsupported, so a 20 would be easier on people with less strength in their arms, though I don't think it should be a real issue for the brief amount of time a sporting shotgun would be held up in the air. 

A semi-auto would likely help absorb some recoil, and I believe there are certain Benellis which have, or can have added, a recoil dampening device in the stock.  A recoil pad, or even extra layer of clothing, can help tame a 12ga.  And a heavier gun will almost always tame a heavy load better than a lighter gun.

As for 12 vs 20, you are reducing the number of pellets heading toward your target, which can make things a little more challenging - not .410 challenging, but still, if you're anything like me, I need every single bit of help I can get...

Last thought, cost of shooting should be a lot lower for 12 than 20, based on what I have seen.  Maybe (since I don't own a 20ga and never look) the cost of 20 is close to 12, but the times I have seen sales, it seems like 20ga is always $1-2 more per box than 12ga...and I am a cheap bastard....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

My understanding is most 20ga are also lighter weight, so the felt recoil ends up being about even vs. a 12ga.  A 20 may be easier for someone with problems holding up the gun, but recoil would still be about the same.  A problem I have encountered with most new women shooters has been the weight of the front of the gun (specifically in my cases, rifles) when standing or otherwise unsupported, so a 20 would be easier on people with less strength in their arms, though I don't think it should be a real issue for the brief amount of time a sporting shotgun would be held up in the air. 

A semi-auto would likely help absorb some recoil, and I believe there are certain Benellis which have, or can have added, a recoil dampening device in the stock.  A recoil pad, or even extra layer of clothing, can help tame a 12ga.  And a heavier gun will almost always tame a heavy load better than a lighter gun.

As for 12 vs 20, you are reducing the number of pellets heading toward your target, which can make things a little more challenging - not .410 challenging, but still, if you're anything like me, I need every single bit of help I can get...

Last thought, cost of shooting should be a lot lower for 12 than 20, based on what I have seen.  Maybe (since I don't own a 20ga and never look) the cost of 20 is close to 12, but the times I have seen sales, it seems like 20ga is always $1-2 more per box than 12ga...and I am a cheap bastard....

Makes sense. Sounds good. Im leaning heavily towards a semi 12G. Hopefully something i can use for any 3 gun or shotgun sports or the likes i might get into in the future.

Check out the Remington v3 if you can. Has noticeably less felt recoil than other shotguns. Not too expensive for a semi.

youll have to ask if it's good for skeet or clays. The one I shot the guy used for birds.

on another forum in NC I usually see the following advice for 3gun (not sure if it translates directly but may give you an idea of guns to look at first):

semi auto 22”-26”, easy to do quad loading, and have the bones that accept port mods well.

On the low end:
Mossberg JM Pro (quality is hit or miss anecdotally)
Stoeger m3000 or M3k
Franchi Affinity
  • Like 1

Check out the Remington v3 if you can. Has noticeably less felt recoil than other shotguns. Not too expensive for a semi.
youll have to ask if it's good for skeet or clays. The one I shot the guy used for birds.

on another forum in NC I usually see the following advice for 3gun (not sure if it translates directly but may give you an idea of guns to look at first):
semi auto 22”-26”, easy to do quad loading, and have the bones that accept port mods well.
On the low end: Mossberg JM Pro (quality is hit or miss anecdotally) Stoeger m3000 or M3k Franchi Affinity
Just keep in mind that some clays courses have a minimum barrel length as well. So the shotgun you pick up for 3 gun might be too short to take to sporting clays

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

Just keep in mind that some clays courses have a minimum barrel length as well. So the shotgun you pick up for 3 gun might be too short to take to sporting clays

Which is why they're just like potato chips!  You can't have just one!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Makes sense. Sounds good. Im leaning heavily towards a semi 12G. Hopefully something i can use for any 3 gun or shotgun sports or the likes i might get into in the future.

Doesn’t @Ray Ray have a mossberg 930? I think I tried that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Which is why they're just like potato chips!  You can't have just one!

Well, ya can, and I did for decades.  My trusty 870 Express (With 30"bbl) did everything I ever asked of it.  It was a fantastic duck/goose gun and I had tons of fun shooting trap and skeet, which are two very different sports requiring different chokes..  It's also integrated into my HD plan with an 18"bbl.  Very versatile but not as good as a specialized shotty.  I'm sure a  Mossberg's 500 would be just as versatile.  Furniture sets are plentiful and cheap for the 870 so you will have no trouble at all adjusting the lop to suit your needs.

The ability to change barrels and chokes adds a huge amount of flexibility that allows you to create several configurations that will suit your specific need at the moment.  You can get the same flexibility with an autoloader, but it will be a bit more expensive.

If you want something to do all, then I suggest an 870.  However, if you think you will be clay shooting almost exclusively, then you need to have a look at some O/U guns.   Or, buy an 870 for 3G and an O/U for clays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Well, ya can, and I did for decades.  My trusty 870 Express (With 30"bbl) did everything I ever asked of it.  It was a fantastic duck/goose gun and I had tons of fun shooting trap and skeet, which are two very different sports requiring different chokes..  It's also integrated into my HD plan with an 18"bbl.  Very versatile but not as good as a specialized shotty.  I'm sure a  Mossberg's 500 would be just as versatile.  Furniture sets are plentiful and cheap for the 870 so you will have no trouble at all adjusting the lop to suit your needs.

The ability to change barrels and chokes adds a huge amount of flexibility that allows you to create several configurations that will suit your specific need at the moment.  You can get the same flexibility with an autoloader, but it will be a bit more expensive.

If you want something to do all, then I suggest an 870.  However, if you think you will be clay shooting almost exclusively, then you need to have a look at some O/U guns.   Or, buy an 870 for 3G and an O/U for clays.

Dude ive never even shot at anything made of clay. I am 110% clueless. Hence the quest for an all in one shotgun rather than a dedicated one; i figure i must like something, and 3 gun is certainly interesting to me as soon as i hone in some of my skills when i can actually get to a range lol.

Btw i love the idea of an 870 with multiple barrels but i was hoping for a semi. Is there a semi out there that can be lego'd like the mossberg 500 or the rem 870?

18 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Dude ive never even shot at anything made of clay. I am 110% clueless. Hence the quest for an all in one shotgun rather than a dedicated one; i figure i must like something, and 3 gun is certainly interesting to me as soon as i hone in some of my skills when i can actually get to a range lol.

Btw i love the idea of an 870 with multiple barrels but i was hoping for a semi. Is there a semi out there that can be lego'd like the mossberg 500 or the rem 870?

There is no highlander of shotguns..

You might want to try it out before investing money. There's places and courses where you can rent shotguns and there's a bi- monthly(?) Meetup with the people from this group to shoot clays. I'm sure you can borrow or try someone's shotgun before you buy something to at least know the direction you want to head in. Hell, if I'm there you can shoot mine. Shotguns are like cars... they come in a wide variety from beat up Honda civics to pickup trucks to Maseratis. But each is better suited for certain tasks. Sure they all get from point a to point b, but you wouldn't want to haul lumber in the back of a sports car or drag race the work van. I don't think the perfect-for-all-occasions shotgun exists, but you may find one that will suit MOST of your needs first and specialize later. If you're trying to save money though, seriously try different shotguns and different sports out FIRST. You don't want to drop a couple hundred on a used shotgun that doesn't work for you in the long run just to throw more money away later after you figure out what you need it to do.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

All the big names can be lego’d.. 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

All the big names can be lego’d.. 

Oh. Cool.

Not so concerned about saving $$. Ill drop 700 or 800 bucks (or more) on something thatll get the job done, just dont want to have to spend $3,000 on multiple shotguns each specific to a certain sport. Im a recreational shooter, by no means am i a pro or even "good", so it doesnt have to be perfect.. just the best bang for the buck. Lol. Wheres a good place to start as far as semi auto 12 gauges go that have interchangeable barrels so that i can use it for various sports? Not a hunter so thats not a concern. And yes i realize one might not be perfect for everything but i can start there and diversify with specialized shotguns if i really get into some specific sport. Right now, i couldnt even tell ya the difference between em.

10 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Oh. Cool.

Not so concerned about saving $$. Ill drop 700 or 800 bucks (or more) on something thatll get the job done, just dont want to have to spend $3,000 on multiple shotguns each specific to a certain sport. Im a recreational shooter, by no means am i a pro or even "good", so it doesnt have to be perfect.. just the best bang for the buck. Lol. Wheres a good place to start as far as semi auto 12 gauges go that have interchangeable barrels so that i can use it for various sports? Not a hunter so thats not a concern. And yes i realize one might not be perfect for everything but i can start there and diversify with specialized shotguns if i really get into some specific sport. Right now, i couldnt even tell ya the difference between em.

You will, eventually 

• Like 1

Yea tell me about it. Seems like i sell 1 gun and end up buying 3 more. My 24 gun safe hit the shit and went back to stack on, i was reimbursed. Bought a 36 or whatever and now this thing is full. When i end up getting my own place im getting a bigger safe, or perhaps just getting another one to empty out the other half of this one.

49 minutes ago, Zeke said:

just dont want to have to spend $3,000 on multiple shotguns each specific to a certain sport.

You can find a used Browning Citori for around $900 to $1200, and a new Mossberger or Remy with a 30"bbl will run you about $350.  If you buy an older Mossy 500, you can use the same invector choke tubes on both guns.  They are compatible. Also, grab a 18 or 20 inch barrel for 3gun and HD. 

So, you figure $1,500 for guns and throw another couple hundred for accessories and you are in business for around $1.700.  If you want to go semi auto instead of pump, add another $500.

46 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

You can find a used Browning Citori for around $900 to $1200, and a new Mossberger or Remy with a 30"bbl will run you about $350.  If you buy an older Mossy 500, you can use the same invector choke tubes on both guns.  They are compatible. Also, grab a 18 or 20 inch barrel for 3gun and HD. 

So, you figure $1,500 for guns and throw another couple hundred for accessories and you are in business for around $1.700.  If you want to go semi auto instead of pump, add another $500.

Those O/Us are sexy. Not gona lie. Would love one as a wall hanger. Lol