Lambo2936

A 12G for shotgun sports

Think the one i posted is any good? Seems like a good deal if they do go for 1200. Ill PM you a link to the ad if i can find it again.
I love my Beretta and I'd recommend one as an entry into semi auto shotguns. I had a few issues breaking it in but now I'd know exactly how to do that again if I had to. If you want to test drive mine before you buy, we can definitely try to link up. If you end up buying that one, let me know and I'll tell you what worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We need to get another shotgun shoot together... lol.

I've got a "Youth" convertible Tristar 20ga semi auto.  Very light shooter.  Does recoil less than my Remington 11-87 12ga.  My 11-87's the softest shooting 12ga I've shot - gas system with a recoil pad - it's super soft.

My Beretta S686 Essential O/U and Mossberg Silver Reserve II O/U definitely recoil a lot more - there's no semi auto action to take up some of that recoil.  They're also fairly light guns.  I wear a shoulder pad when shooting those.

• Like 2

Two things popped up. Older (~1989) Remington 1100, two barrels: 20" with fixed mod choke and 30" with fixed full choke. Chokes cant be replaced. Wood stock/handguard Price is ~500$. 

Other is a Mossberg 930 that looks badass as hayll. One 28" barrel and a 24" slug barrel. Attached a few pics i got of it. Guy is lookin for ~750$. In my price range but 24" slug barrel doesnt do much good for 3 gun, and i dont hunt. Would have to get another barrel for it (likely ~300$?). Forgot, it also has an OR3GUN kit in it.

Watcha guys think?

38161.jpeg

38160.jpeg

I vote the Remmy 1100, the older Remingtons are the best.  You can immediately use the barrels for 3gun and trap.  If you want to expand your options, then get a 28" or 30" replacement barrel with remchoke.  Plus...it has wood furniture, 'nuff said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I vote the Remmy 1100, the older Remingtons are the best.  You can immediately use the barrels for 3gun and trap.  If you want to expand your options, then get a 28" or 30" replacement barrel with remchoke.  Plus...it has wood furniture, 'nuff said.

Not sure what kinda choke i need lol. Clueless.. but yea given the price. Barrels are somewhat easy to find too.

Just now, Lambo2936 said:

Not sure what kinda choke i need lol. Clueless.. but yea given the price. Barrels are somewhat easy to find too.

Remchoke is just the name Remington gave it's threaded chokes.  For trap, you want full or extra full or even turkey will work.  For skeet you want Cyl or IC.  I dunno what you need for 3gun but I imagine at the distances they shoot, Mod would work.  I guess for sporting clays, just use the tightest choke you can hit the most birds with.  See, that's one of the really nice things about an O/U,two barrels, two chokes.

50 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

For 3-gun I am looking at upgrading to a Stoeger M3K

You sir are a very smart man! Inexpensive, runs 100% on Remington gun club's and a quick cleaning every other match, you can quad load it out of the box, it shoots slugs straight, it comes with 3 good extended chokes, it's probably the easiest gun in the world to clean, it's a copy of the legendary M2, it's lighter than the M2, the list goes on...

Regarding the 930, I've been to matches all over the county and the one gun I regularly see break down, and I mean break down to where it won't finish the match, is the 930. Even the great jerry michuleck's 930 consistently has problems. 

• Like 2

My vote says give new life to an older Rem. 1100. A barrel that allows Remchoke tubes would be optimal. With the right loads you can shoot trap and skeet or 5-stand clays with a fixed IC or MOD choke if need be. The gun is heavy enough to help promote follow-through and is also a soft shooter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parker said:

My vote says give new life to an older Rem. 1100. A barrel that allows Remchoke tubes would be optimal. With the right loads you can shoot trap and skeet or 5-stand clays with a fixed IC or MOD choke if need be. The gun is heavy enough to help promote follow-through and is also a soft shooter. 

Agree - after a very slow start with my 1100 - a 30" full on a Magnum receiver - I am loving 'em so much I bought a second one!

2 hours ago, Parker said:

Older than 1980? This one is already almost 40 years old according to the seller. Only issue is cant change chokes..

1 minute ago, Lambo2936 said:

Older than 1980? This one is already almost 40 years old according to the seller. Only issue is cant change chokes..

The one and only problem I have read about remington shottys is the ejector spring sometimes needs to be replaced. They are easy and inexpensive to replace.   If you get a new 30"bbl threaded for remchoke, you can swap out choke tubes to suit the type of shooting you will be doing for that day.

Jesus this is too difficult. What shotgun can i get at/under ~1K that i can just friggin order new online from buds or whoever? Keeping in mind i would also like it to have a shorter barrel either as a 2 barrel package or that i can buy. Itll be used for HD/3 gun too if i can get an 18 or 20" barrel.

Bit of flex in the price. Keep in mind cost of transfer (lets say 50$ to be safe), so like 1100 delivered to my ffl.

Jesus this is too difficult. What shotgun can i get at/under ~1K that i can just friggin order new online from buds or whoever? Keeping in mind i would also like it to have a shorter barrel either as a 2 barrel package or that i can buy. Itll be used for HD/3 gun too if i can get an 18 or 20" barrel.
Bit of flex in the price. Keep in mind cost of transfer (lets say 50$ to be safe), so like 1100 delivered to my ffl.
There's no magic answer

Just like the preferred rifle for 3-gun (an AR) isn't a good choice for a deer rifle, the "best" shotgun for 3-gun isn't the best choice for trap, skeet, or hunting. 

• Like 2

Ms. 12 ga. is 100% correct!  There is NOT a single, perfect scattergun for every application.  Something the OP hopefully won't learn the hard way?  3-Gun demands a gun that shoots birdshot & slugs, so a full-choke (or tighter) is NFG.  Nick is right:  Although Remmy's will run all day long, that button in the loading gate will cost seconds and you'll drop speed & ranking because of it.  W2MC & I are on the same page.  

My best advice is to go to a match & talk with folks that win matches.  They'll be glad to walk you thru every mistake they've made & every dollar they shouldn't have spent.  Well worth your investment in time, and you just might make a new friend.  The folks that traveled the same road your contemplating know where the potholes ARE......

Rosey

• Like 1

Im goin cray cray. May just visit a lgs and handle a few shotguns. Or just find a decent semi 12g i can order with multiple barrels and call it a day lol

edit: not a bad idea, maybe ill join quinton and ask around before i order somethin. Tbh for 1200 i can also just get two inexpensive 12g's.

3-gun shotguns are great all-around shotguns due to the demands of the sport.

They aren't pistol-gripped for quicker loading (great for NJ since they are all legal then)

They are reliable if you pick one that isn't a mossberg 930 

They all are set up with removable chokes and a rib-bead sight arrangement

Barrel length is "moderate", 24" is standard, making them handy enough for home defense, long enough for the clay sports.

They have big oversized controls for easy manipulation

So, it just comes down to which one you want.  The major players are the Benelli M2 field, the stoeger m3k/m3000, the beretta 1301 comp, and the Breda B12i.

All of those except the Beretta are inertia driven.  Inertia guns knock you around a little more than gas operated (Beretta) guns, but they tend to have more simple maintenance.  Pick your poison.  I shoot the 1301, I regularly shoot over 1k shells in-between cleanings and to this day have not had a malfunction.  I've put a few dozen flats of shells through it.  It shoots like a dream.  I'll take it out for sporting clays as well, and it certainly will not handicap you.  Keep in mind the 1301 is the same thing as the A400 mechanically speaking.

Here's my wife with it at Nationals last year 

lizzards.jpg

• Like 3

Im goin cray cray. May just visit a lgs and handle a few shotguns. Or just find a decent semi 12g i can order with multiple barrels and call it a day lol
The advice that people have been giving you since you first posted has been to get out and to try before you buy. There is no shotgun that's going to do everything you want it to perfectly. Light, short, cheap, no recoil, be perfect for speed sports and be perfect for sports that require patience. No one can answer what compromises you're willing to make on your "perfect shotgun" wishlist. You're looking for someone to say just get "X". It doesn't work that way. The amount of recoil and weight that I can handle alone is subjective and might be too heavy and kick too much for you to even shoot. The compromise in accuracy for a shorter barrel might not be something you're willing to make. IT'S ALL PERSONAL DECISIONS. There is no such shotgun as what you're looking for (which is why most shotgunners have more than one). No one can just answer what will be "close enough" to your wants and needs except YOU and you won't be able to decide until you shoot a few different shotguns.

• Like 3

No way you'll only buy one shotgun. Get the one that'll do what you want to do first.

for HD, I'm in the cheap and reliable camp. If you god forbid ever have to use it, you don't want your $3k shotgun sitting in an evidence locker (different if you do this kind of stuff for a living). Wait for a Mossberg 500 to go on sale around $200-250.

this leaves you about $900 for your sporting shotgun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lambo2936 said:

edit: not a bad idea, maybe ill join quinton and ask around before i order somethin. Tbh for 1200 i can also just get two inexpensive 12g's.

Even better idea! 

One of the truisms of these competitive sports is that there is always someone who wants to sell "last years gun" for this years latest & greatest.  

I would bet you could find exactly what you're looking for in a week or three at one of the clubs.  

• Like 1

Yeah. I think im gona slow down and just keep my eyes open. Handle some and what not. If i really want i can pick up two "lower end" 12g's for my budget. If im buying new theres no rush to buy anyways. Itll be registered either way.

Stoeger m3k looks nice. Almost got one on trade a few weeks ago but dude wanted the retail price at buds online for a used one..

Btw HD isnt a must for the shotgun, just a plus. This new house is over 5,000 sqft and just over 3 acres, wide open. Neighbor is an 18 or so acre farm, also wide open... other side is a house a few hundred feet away... My go to HD weapon here is my LaRue AR built for specifically this.... lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

Even better idea! 

One of the truisms of these competitive sports is that there is always someone who wants to sell "last years gun" for this years latest & greatest.  

I would bet you could find exactly what you're looking for in a week or three at one of the clubs.  

Nope, it's usually someone selling their problems. 

10 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Cabelas in DE has the stoeger m3k for 600 and is 40 mins away... anyone know if they sell to NJ residents? May be the way to go and leaves me enough to find a decent OU or the likes.

Yes for the last fucking time go buy it! Thats where i bought mine. You won't be disappointed. Tanners in PA usually sells them around 550 otd.

• Like 1