NJGF

Body Armor Info

Are there any websites or articles that give the rundown on types of body armor, specific reviews, etc?

I've done some reading and I think my requirements are probably:

1. Lighter weight soft body armor (Level IIIA) with the capability of inserting steel plates to bring it to Level IV
  2. Front and rear coverage.
  3. Optional side coverage (Level IIIA with ability to go to Level IV).
  4. Molle webbing front and rear.
  5. It is a one time purchase so cost is not so much of a factor.
  6. It would not be worn on a regular basis but mostly kept in the trunk.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:10 AM, Mr.Stu said:

http://blackbagresources.com/blog/quick-thoughts-on-armor

Sean is a good guy to work with. He hooked me up with a set from Spartan.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Did you either order or have the option to order something he didn't have in stock? 

8 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Did you either order or have the option to order something he didn't have in stock? 

I talked with him about what I was looking for and he showed me his demo vests and plates. He then ordered new from Spartan for me.

4 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I talked with him about what I was looking for and he showed me his demo vests and plates. He then ordered new from Spartan for me.

Was his pricing better than ordering direct? I get the impression it's better to go through a dealer. 

And what plate carrier did you go with? I don't want to drop $300 on a Banshee 2.0 if there is something comparable in quality for less. 

I knew going in that I’d likely be issued soft Level IIIA armor, so I went with III as my personal purchase. IV... the likelihood I’ll go against armor piercing ammo is so low that I’m fine with the lower cost/weight. If I need to get another set, I’ll go IV since I’ll have the funds to do it.

Mine is DKX. It is a hard plate, but light and actually floats (if you go into the water, an added benefit). Been happy with them, just need to make sure you get the right cuts. Soft armor usually has side protection, so I opted for side plates with mine. They do a hard III, which is pretty thin.

Recommendation... wear soft armor for about a week to loosen it up. If it gets sweaty, pull out plates and spray down with anti-fungal spray (depending on frequency of wear and sweat, you can develop sores due to that... one in my class has). Carrier... limit washing (follow instructions, though), but spray with Frebreze as necessary.

Storage of soft plates is a pain... which is why I went hard (that and blunt trauma). Hanging them up, will stretch the shoulders. Laying down certain ways will cause it to bend (length of time in that position may cause issue). Ideally, you’d want to leave the panels laid out on a flat surface. Probably with that is the vest isn’t ready to quickly toss on, if that is the case.

WiFi isn’t too good today down here, so I haven’t watched the video.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, Blacksmythe said:

In my opinion, the Spartan plates have better spall coating.

Over the ar500 standard coating... or their extra "build up" coating?

The ar500 paxcon build up coating is serious... so i'm assuming your referencing their standard base coat. 

5 hours ago, Screwball said:

Yes... until you get into AP rounds.

Don't really have the time to look it up, but I believe III stops M2 ball (.30-06).

level III is tricky... MANY level III steel plates will NOT stop 5.56 

check with each manufacture, they came up with the III+ rating for steel that stops it. 

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

level III is tricky... MANY level III steel plates will NOT stop 5.56 

check with each manufacture, they came up with the III+ rating for steel that stops it. 

Level III is a NIJ standard... which stops rifle rounds minus AP and steel penetrators (M855, for example).

III+ is not a standard. That you must check with whoever made the plate. More or less, it’s BS marketing.

https://www.nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/Pages/standards.aspx

17 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Over the ar500 standard coating... or their extra "build up" coating?

The ar500 paxcon build up coating is serious... so i'm assuming your referencing their standard base coat. 

Thats another thing I liked about about spartan. There was no guessing if the coating was good enough. For the most part I'm a SAPI guy now.

2 hours ago, Blacksmythe said:

Thats another thing I liked about about spartan. There was no guessing if the coating was good enough. For the most part I'm a SAPI guy now.

Why would you be upset that you can get an extra thick coating that will take more rounds before failing? 

Have you measured the thickness between the two companies?

Edit. I just looked and Spartan does a buildup coat too, and they suggest you get the plates with it. 

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/blog/encapsaloc-fragmentation-mitigation-antispall-body-armor-coating-spartan-armor/

17 hours ago, Screwball said:

Level III is a NIJ standard... which stops rifle rounds minus AP and steel penetrators (M855, for example).

III+ is not a standard. That you must check with whoever made the plate. More or less, it’s BS marketing.

https://www.nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/Pages/standards.aspx

Level III steel plates will not stop even m193... Standard 55grain bullets consistently..

I'm aware of the standard ratings which is why I mentioned it. Who else would be buying level III if not for the purpose of stopping standard rifle rounds?

Like I said manufacturers came up with the Lvl III+, and I said check with them,whet they are capable of.. and that the point was to include the standard 5.56 rounds. If the plates surpass lvl 3 ratings then why would it be BS marketing? 

A plate doesn't have to stop 5.56 to meet lvl 3 requirements. 

Many people don't understand that that rating are based on the round and the energy it carries when it hits the plate, and that it doesn't even have to stop all of the rounds, I don't remember what the acceptable failure rate is.