NJSigfan

Vortex Scopes - which one to get

Hello everyone

In the coming weeks I'll be picking up a bolt action rifle in 6.5CM.  This will be my first precision rifle and first time getting a good scope.  I've been looking at Vortex Scopes on gun.deals for the past couple weeks but i'm honestly lost on which one to get?   Do I go with the diamondback, the viper PST, viper HST or look at other makes like Athlon??  What magnification do i need, or should i get?  any help you can offer would be helpful.  Rifle will be used to shoot paper and/or steel.  Longest range at the this time s 400 yards.  Budget?  no clue.  5-750?? 

15 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

All depends what you want to do with that rifle and how much you want to spend.

Added more info the the original post...shooting paper and/or steel.  Ideal Budget is under 750, if possible. Like i said before, I'm new to the part of the obsession and looking for a little guidance.

37 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

Hello everyone

In the coming weeks I'll be picking up a bolt action rifle in 6.5CM.  This will be my first precision rifle and first time getting a good scope.  I've been looking at Vortex Scopes on gun.deals for the past couple weeks but i'm honestly lost on which one to get?   Do I go with the diamondback, the viper PST, viper HST or look at other makes like Athlon??  What magnification do i need, or should i get?  any help you can offer would be helpful.  Rifle will be used to shoot paper and/or steel.  Longest range at the this time s 400 yards.  Budget?  no clue.  5-750?? 

@Bully

Hey as much glass as you can afford. 

For  “precision” shooting I would say no less than a 15x. More if you can. Personally I like the PST. There is a really nice HST 4-16 in the classifieds right now for short money. It would be a solid start. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

Thank you..

why is the pst better than the hst?

PST isn't necessarily "better" as that's a completely relative term.  It's more expensive because it's a first focal plane scope.  The glass is the same from all I hear.  I believe the knobs and adjustments are as well.  

This is all dependent on me remembering correctly.  Don't count on it. 

I just purchased a Leupold VX5HD 3-15.  I would recommend it to anyone.  It's pretty awesome.  It's a bit out of budget tho.  Feel free to PM me any questions as well.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bully said:

PST isn't necessarily "better" as that's a completely relative term.  It's more expensive because it's a first focal plane scope.  The glass is the same from all I hear.  I believe the knobs and adjustments are as well.  

This is all dependent on me remembering correctly.  Don't count on it. 

I just purchased a Leupold VX5HD 3-15.  I would recommend it to anyone.  It's pretty awesome.  It's a bit out of budget tho.  Feel free to PM me any questions as well.  

Thank you for the help.  I’m sure I’ll send a few questions your way very soon.

I would recommend you go to SnipersHide forums and read up on the optics forum on any optic you are interested in. Vortex PST, Burris XTRII, and Sig Tango scopes are all in your price range if you shop around. All are FFP with good glass.

If your budget is $750, do yourself a favor and don't look through any high end scopes. Once you do, you won't want anything else.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

On 11/8/2018 at 8:42 AM, franklee said:

A couple of years ago I would be the happiest man in the world having any Vortex scope at al. My DW presented me with iVortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm scope at our anniversary  but I sent it back to Votex for repair. The scope does not hold zero in-between the last three trips to the field and range. Now I have a new scope by ATN (this one https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight). Works fine for me!

I've had a ton of Vortex scopes over the years and never had an issue.  Sorry to hear you did but they have fantastic cs from what I read and gather.

OP, go with Burris not only because the glass is fantastic but they are tough as nails.  Under 1k you will mostly get sfp but here is one that is ffp, great price and outstanding quality with almost 100% light transmission

https://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/new-this-week/hunting-gear/pc/105591780/c/105633180/sc/105637680/burris-mtac-riflescope/1314488.uts?avad=48247_a1411e685&WT.mc_id=al35987&Subid1=SID&subacctid=35987&subacctname=35987&adname=Custom+Link&adtype=cl&adid=NA&utm_medium=AFF&utm_source=35987&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

23 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

sportsmanguide has the vortex viper 6.5-20x44 with side paralax on sale for 299 which is an OUTSTANDING scope for the price.  They are being discontinued for the 50mm objective but for what you described, this is plenty of scope for you

@Bully what do you think?

10 hours ago, Zeke said:

@Bully what do you think?

I looked at it on the Vortex site.

Capped turrets and the reticle is Mil-Dot and adjustments are MOA.  I'd take a pass if  I was planning on shooting in anything other than static conditions.  The math is doable but having matched reticle/adjustments is much mo' simple.  
Capped turrets are great on a hunting rifle but they are just another thing to lose in the field on a "tactical" style rifle.  

For plinking, shooting the occasional static tactical match or F-Class, it will work just fine tho.  If I was using it that way, I'd probably opt for the duplex as ranging wouldn't be an issue.  

This advice is worth exactly what you have paid for it.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bully said:

I looked at it on the Vortex site.

Capped turrets and the reticle is Mil-Dot and adjustments are MOA.  I'd take a pass if  I was planning on shooting in anything other than static conditions.  The math is doable but having matched reticle/adjustments is much mo' simple.  
Capped turrets are great on a hunting rifle but they are just another thing to lose in the field on a "tactical" style rifle.  

For plinking, shooting the occasional static tactical match or F-Class, it will work just fine tho.  If I was using it that way, I'd probably opt for the duplex as ranging wouldn't be an issue.  

This advice is worth exactly what you have paid for it.  

'Capped turrets and the reticle is Mil-Dot and adjustments are MOA.'  'Capped turrets are great on a hunting rifle but they are just another thing to lose in the field on a "tactical" style rifle.'..........................I have never understood this line of thinking given capped turrets mean nada, leave them off if anyone thinks they are an issue.  Absolutely no difference in the resets or turret design between having caps and not for the viper and viper pst lines,  truly a non issue.  In the old days when resets were not standard on hunting scopes, it was an issue but not today and not on this scope.

'I'd take a pass if  I was planning on shooting in anything other than static conditions.'........shooting steel and paper out to 400 so OP is off a bench.  

'The math is doable but having matched reticle/adjustments is much mo' simple.'.....the math on that is something a 6th grader can do (my son does..lol), very easy and standard for decades but ABSOLUTELY agree that a matched reticle and adjustments is easier but at 299, for the OPs use, slam dunk imho.  No way anyone finds a better scope, better glass, fov, light transmission, all the features at this price point. 

Good discussion however, I enjoy these types and think the board needs more of them. 

@medved11 is a solid seller and gent.  His stuff is well taken care of.  

If the OP is on a serious budget, look for a used SWFA fixed power scope.  I just grabbed a 20x for 175 to my door. It is, essentially, brand new.  The glass is solid, matched reticle/turret, and it tracks well enough for my intent.  The 10x are very good as well.  Also, don't overlook the Sightron S-Tac.  I've heard good things about them and the glass is solid.  I called them a few years ago and the S-Tac line had their S3 glass in them.  It's very bright and clear.  If you can swing it, and want to put an eye to one, I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15.  Mine has a "tree" style reticle in it and the glass, at half the price, is just off my NF NXS.  I would recommend one to almost anyone.  Price will push the budget, but it really is that nice.  Solid zerostop, great clicks on adjustment, and very easy to set up.  

As always, feel free to drop me a PM or text me with any questions.  I'll do my best to help.  

I had the VX6-HD 4-12 briefly over the summer, glass was super clear but I absolutely hated the firedot duplex reticle that came on it. Maybe if I had the B&C reticle I'd be saying otherwise