revenger

TV suggestions

So I got rid of Verizon and got the cheapest Optimum internet and now use a firestick to watch netflix and amazon prime,  I am trying out Hulu for live TV but only get a few channels but most of the ones I watch so its not that bad.

anyone have suggestions for Live TV on a firestick like sling Tv or any of those.   I also got an Ooma phone in case the kids need it for 911 when we are not home, I'l cancel that once they get a little older.

• Like 2

I used PlayStation Vue (no PlayStation console needed) when I was in NJ. Dropped it in Jacksonville as they did not have the local ABC station live. I am now using YouTubeTV which is great. Lots of stations and no limit on what you record to the cloud and they keep everything for 9months. Also use Ooma for phone.

I have DirectTV Now to stream to the Apple TV, FireStick and Roku TV. It’s.... ok.  It has most of the channels I’d want but navigating the guide with an AppleTV remote is a pain (swipe, swipe, swipe, oops too far, swipe back). It also glitches out sometimes.   For $40/month it’s cheap, but didn’t pass the WAF enough to cancel Xfinity so I’ll keep looking. Maybe PSVue or YouTubeTV

Last week, we dropped Comcast cable and got YouTube TV. All the live stations we had, with the exception of one or two. We also have Netflix, which we've had for years.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

How is that internet provider working out for you? Replacing Verizon is next on my list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

There are many of these streaming services, SlingTV, Fubo, DTVN, PS-VUE YouTubeTV, Hulu live, etc...  Each one is slightly different with slightly different channels that are included and can be added.  Most offer free trials, although you typically have to give a credit card and cancel within 7 days to not pay for the month.  You really have to experiment and see which is best for you, and keep up with them as they change as new ones come everyday.  I have used SlingTV, DTVN, PS-Vue and now YouTube TV.  Sling was the worst.  The others all have good and bad.  DTVN had lots of glitches and the DVR function did not exist when I used it.  PS-VUE was very good, but I find YouTube TV the best, especially if you want to record stuff and watch later.  This is because they don't limit how much stuff you can put in their cloud and it stays for 9 months.  Also I find that it has almost no freezing or other problems.  Best streaming experience I have had.  Oh, we also have Amazon Prime.

Your internet connection has a lot to do with how well these things work.  Speed is not the major issue, it has more to do with latency and other network factors.  In NJ I had CableVision (Optimum) as that was the only game in my town.  I had their 200 mbps service with a AmpliFi HD mesh router and I still had lots of issues with quality of service.  Here in Florida I have AT&T Fiber based system at only 100 mpbs, although it typically runs 120 down and 120 up and I have not had a single freeze or glitch.  The ping time to their server is typically less than 2ms or less.  That makes a huge difference.

att speed test.jpg

Howard convinced me to cut the cord about 1.5 - 2 years ago.  Wish I had done  it much sooner!

We originally used PS Vue which I liked.  Wife switched to Hulu Live.  We already had basic Hulu.  I don't like Hulu Live much.  The schedule grid is very laggy.  I hardly watch any TV though so I really don't care.

Depending on your viewing habits and budget I would check out Philo, PS Vue, YouTube TV and maybe one or two others.  Really depends on what you watch, what type of interface you like and how much you want to pay.

One trick I've learned.  If you have a close family member or friend who still has cable and trust you enough to give you their password, you can download the app for channels not included in the streaming service you use and log in with their cable password.

Hulu Live doesn't have AMC and two of the few shows I watch live are Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead.  I simply downloaded  the AMC app and signed on with another family member's password.  Problem solved.

There are also plenty of apps that let you watch programming not on typical cable tv.  Such as NRA app.  Carbon TV for hunting, etc.

There are mamy free apps like Roku Channel, Crackle app, Sony App, etc that have free movies (with comnercials).  I just downloaded Hoopla app.  You need a library card and can stream movies, ebooks, documentaries, etc from library.

Good luck!

Seriously.. look at the iptv subscription services. They are relatively cheap and they give you like 1600+ channels of HD goodness.

If you want to watch movies or cable series, you can download the terrarium app for that. Run it on a android box or Firestick/FireTV behind a VPN and you are good to go.

The developer of Terrarium has shut it down. I actually was on it 30 mins ago trying to watch something and it's only a notice saying he's pursuing other things.

I really can't wait for Verizon 5G to come to our area and completely get rid of Optimum and their years of charging stupid amounts of money because they're a monopoly where I live. 

2 hours ago, InFamous said:

The developer of Terrarium has shut it down. I actually was on it 30 mins ago trying to watch something and it's only a notice saying he's pursuing other things.

I really can't wait for Verizon 5G to come to our area and completely get rid of Optimum and their years of charging stupid amounts of money because they're a monopoly where I live. 

It’s still up you need to dl a new app.

https://terrariumtvappdownloads.com/terrarium-tv-apk/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carl_g said:

It’s still up you need to dl a new app.

https://terrariumtvappdownloads.com/terrarium-tv-apk/

Thanks! The older version said he was shutting it down and after September the app will force shut itself. Effective immediately no videos would be playable and to delete the current app so I did LOL. Is this normal for him to make new ones to keep from being shut down or w/e?

• Like 1

Just now, InFamous said:

Thanks! The older version said he was shutting it down and after September the app will force shut itself. Effective immediately no videos would be playable and to delete the current app so I did LOL. Is this normal for him to make new ones to keep from being shut down or w/e?

I’m not sure if it’s normal or not but the new version has been working for me. If that website doesn’t work for you let me know and I can email the .apk file to you.

• Like 1

@InFamous

Hey I know this went down again.
check out this link. If you use an android box you can get the apk from here the app is called cyberflixHDTV
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9l52o4qvogl9q6x/MTHcybflxAF3.apk

If you use a firestick/fireTV device watch this video:

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 3:26 AM, InFamous said:

yes you are absolutely right this app is shut down from September but some official provide their updated version or maybe some best alternative, which is working properly.