Sign in to follow this  
Luke_WO

School Me on Magazines (P229/SR9)

Don’t know much about mags in general, since I only have 2 handguns and don’t shoot them much (or at all, really). Always used whatever came with the gun. Want to start shooting handguns more regularly and add to my collection. 

I believe the three 15-round mags that came with my P229 Legion are Checkmates. I went to Sig directly for 10-rounders (paid way more than I needed to - lesson learned). They sent Mec-Gars, which is fine with me, since they seem to be better quality. A loaded Checkmate mag actually produces an audible “rattle” when I shake it, the rounds seem quite loose.  So, moving forward, I assume I should buy some additional Mec-Gars, which seem readily available for P229’s for $20-$25. Does that sound right? 

My other question is re: my SR9. When I looked for 10-rounders for this one, I found some for $17, so I bought a few, not even thinking to look at the manufacturer. They were Pro-Mags. A quick search of this forum and other websites showed me what people generally think of these things. So the question is, do I simply buy more of the OEM mags from Ruger, or are there other SR9 mags out there? The OEM mags are a bit steeper, like $35-$45 depending on where you look. Not even sure who makes them. I think they may be Mec-Gar b/c the ones that came with the gun are stamped “Made in Italy,” but no mention of a manufacturer. 

Any info would be appreciated. Just want to make sure I know my options. Thanks! 

A great source for magazines generally, and MecGar's specifically is: gregcotellc.com

Not sure whether your Legion takes regular P229 mags or the newer P229-1 mags. Sig changed the dimensions of the mag well - make sure that you check the ones you got in your gun. I'm not certain which is which, but one is wider than the other. The narrower mag may work in the wider well, but will be a loose fit. Best to use the correct mags.

You already have found the general opinion of Pro-Mag products. Maybe the ones you got will work, who knows? If they were universally defective they wouldn't still be in business. I wouldn't use them for defensive purposes.

Couldn't find any source for the Ruger 10-round mags, other than Ruger at $45 and they are out of stock.

I'd wait and see how the magazine injunction and lawsuit go before investing any money in 10- rounders.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

A great source for magazines generally, and MecGar's specifically is: gregcotellc.com

Not sure whether your Legion takes regular P229 mags or the newer P229-1 mags. Sig changed the dimensions of the mag well - make sure that you check the ones you got in your gun. I'm not certain which is which, but one is wider than the other. The narrower mag may work in the wider well, but will be a loose fit. Best to use the correct mags.

You already have found the general opinion of Pro-Mag products. Maybe the ones you got will work, who knows? If they were universally defective they wouldn't still be in business. I wouldn't use them for defensive purposes.

Couldn't find any source for the Ruger 10-round mags, other than Ruger at $45 and they are out of stock.

I'd wait and see how the magazine injunction and lawsuit go before investing any money in 10- rounders.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the input. The Sig mags are 229-1’s, I made sure of that before I ordered. I think all newer (at least a couple years) 229’s (and maybe other models) are the 229-1’s. I will check out the Greg Cote site as well. 

Maybe a dumb question....

Edit: It WAS a dumb question 

2 minutes ago, Luke_WO said:

Maybe a dumb question, but I assume you’re all using your 15-rounders at the range for the time being without any issues? 

Not allowed per the new law. The grace period, as I understand it, is only for disposal of mags in excess of 10 rounds.

9 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Not allowed per the new law. The grace period, as I understand it, is only for disposal of mags in excess of 10 rounds.

Understood, thanks. I’m just catching up on all of this now. I now realize the “grace period” isn’t an extension of 15-round legality. 

Anyway, don’t want this to turn into another law/legal conversation. If anyone has any other insights on mags, would appreciate it. 

For the P229-1 magazines, the only change was the 9mm. Prior, the .40 magazines were larger than the 9mm (think P228). The -1 is a .40 body, setup for 9mm.

SIG standardized on the .40 magazine body for the frames, which allows one frame per the line, as well as make conversions streamline. Added benefit was the extra capacity for 9mm. The earlier 9mm magazines will still work in the -1 frames, but have some play in the well.

For the grace period, use your best judgment.

Personally, I think it is probably the dumbest legislation ever instituted (even if someone agrees with the anti-gun stance, it still doesn’t make sense). Are all the private transfers taking place before Sunday illegal? Nope, date for those transfers being ok without a NICS is cut/dry... if the magazine law starts on X day, shy of saying no new purchases, how do you enforce only parts of that law? If prior owned property must be surrendered/removed/modified by a specific date, how does the law apply differently for someone bringing them to a gunsmith for modification to make them legal compared to someone going to the range? Contraband, which isn’t contraband yet, illegal in some instances but not in others? It’s a very poorly implemented law, and I would personally like to see something along those lines be brought up in court... as I’d think the entire house of cards would blow over with it. Magazine capacities legal for years are suddenly illegal, but pre-owned magazines aren’t dangerous until a specific date... then they become dangerous/illegal. But I really don’t wish that on anyone... as it is a fourth degree crime (felony).

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

I bought some a while back on sale from either Midway or Cheaper than Dirt, check there.

3 hours ago, Luke_WO said:

Understood, thanks. I’m just catching up on all of this now. I now realize the “grace period” isn’t an extension of 15-round legality. 

It's a grace period to possess the 15 rounders in your house until Dec, 13th

If you have the 15 rounders for the SR9, why not get the blockers or get them pinned to 10. Would be less costly than buying new.

5 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

If you have the 15 rounders for the SR9, why not get the blockers or get them pinned to 10. Would be less costly than buying new.

I want to get more regardless (I only have 2), but this is something I’ll consider for the the ones I have. Thanks. 

15 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Ditto on gregcotellc.com. I've bought from him a number of times and he frequently has the best price and the fastest shipping.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:16 AM, 45Doll said:

Ditto on gregcotellc.com. I've bought from him a number of times and he frequently has the best price and the fastest shipping.

Can now confirm this, thanks for the recco! Ordered several 10 round P229-1’s on Wednesday night. 

Price was as low as anyone I’d seen ($20.95, IIRC), cheap flat shipping cost, and they arrived earlier today. Will check his site first moving forward. 

Does availability of quality aftermarket mags actually influence anyone’s decision when buying something new? (I.e. “Eh... Option A only has expensive OEM mags, whereas i can get high quality aftermarket ones for $20-$25 each for Option B)