Sign in to follow this  
Screwball

Sending Pistol Thru FFL for Work... Need Permit to Get Back?

I’m looking to have my S&W 1006 converted to decock only, and the guy doing it is in Mississippi. Said that the most cost effective way to get the gun down to him would be sending through FFLs.

If I have the pistol permit for my 1006, send it out for the conversion from a local FFL... do I need another pistol permit to get it back?

Can spend a little more and send it directly to him. Just figured I’d ask, as I’m not going for another permit for this. Worst case, I’ll buy the parts and send it out when I move... in a state with less strict gun laws.

The only time you'd need a NEW pistol permit to get your 'repaired' pistol back is if they return a different serial numbered frame.

Your original pistol permit (used to purchase the 1006) is worthless except to show that it's registered with the nazis in West Trenton.

If you want to sell the mags that go with the 1006, PM me, please.

If you are sending the through an FFL for Gunsmith work, the shipping (your) FFL would book it

in his ATF Gun Smith Book (Not the A&D) book, which means upon it's return he can give it back to you

without a permit or a NICS check.

IF for any reason, during a repair / modification the serial number is changed, THEN you would need to go through

the process of a Permit (HG) or a COE (long gun) and a new NICs check.

• Like 2

JT Custom Guns, thanks for the heads up. I figured something like that, but wanted to be sure before I sent it in. Doesn’t matter if the guy doing the work doesn’t have an FFL, and would be picking it up from one local to him? He didn’t go into how he gets the gun, but figured it wouldn’t leave another FFL illegally.

In regards to the serial numbers, want to send the entire gun to make sure the decocker is still in timing afterwards. If not, he has to fit a new sear release lever. Nothing too extreme, but if the frame did need to be replaced, I’d be SOL anyways... as S&W support for 3rd Generation guns is non-existent.

I could just send him the slide, but if the decocker is out of timing, I’d need to have a gunsmith fit a new sear release lever. No disrespect to local gunsmiths, but I don’t think I know of one I’d trust with my 1006 (no longer produced, and not a lot of people familiar with them).

If you want to sell the mags that go with the 1006, PM me, please.

Sorry, but not selling any.

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

JT Custom Guns, thanks for the heads up. I figured something like that, but wanted to be sure before I sent it in. Doesn’t matter if the guy doing the work doesn’t have an FFL, and would be picking it up from one local to him? He didn’t go into how he gets the gun, but figured it wouldn’t leave another FFL illegally.

Sorry, but not selling any.

I would ask that question before sending a gun to anyone!

It may be possible that the receiving FFL is booking it out in his GS book, but that is question you should ask, just to know who has your gun and how they got it............

• Like 2

The serial number thing is a NJ thing. It is not spelled out in law or code. I've returned replacement firearms with different numbers without issue. It is acceptable Federally.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I would ask that question before sending a gun to anyone!
It may be possible that the receiving FFL is booking it out in his GS book, but that is question you should ask, just to know who has your gun and how they got it............

Roger that, and will ask when he gets me a price on direct shipping. Reading the thread he posted when he started, he did mention having to go through a A&D book... plus 4473s. If that is the case, can the FFL I use still put it in the GS book? Reading that in the thread, I’ll likely just send direct, like I’ve done with other gunsmiths over the years.

He is a gunsmith that S&W Forum allowed to post on their site, with moderator approval. Very rare to have 3rd Generation gunsmith, so I’m opting for him to do the work over someone not familiar with that line. Most stopped working on them, for obvious reasons. From the people who have used him, nobody had anything negative to say.

Main reason to consider the FFL route was shipping cost... but my main concern is the NJ side of the return trip. If I need a permit for a gun I already own... not waiting on a permit nor am I giving a dollar to NJ for it (I’d eat a NICS check, but hell if I go past that).

Here is the message he sent me...

“John,

You're quite welcome.
There's no paperwork issues on my end. I merely enter the acquisition in my book as from your FFL on behalf of you. Then when the work is done, I ship to your FFL with the invoice marked for disposition back to you. No 4473 or any other admin stuff on my end.

When your FFL gets the gun back from me, he enters it as an acquisition from me then when you come to retrieve it he enters the disposition to you. That's all the ATF requires of us. A 4473 & background check is not required by ATF when returning a repaired firearm to the original owner. Now as far as any NJ specific weirdness I cannot say:rolleyes:

Cheers
Bill”

Any NJ issue on return if that’s how he does it?

I reread post #4. Did you really say the person fixing the firearm does not have a license?

How I originally took it... but asking him again for clarification. Could have sworn I read that he didn’t.

If he is, any issue with what was described from a legal standpoint? Or it is at the discretion of the NJ FFL for whether or not I need a permit to get it back?

How I originally took it... but asking him again for clarification. Could have sworn I read that he didn’t.

If he is, any issue with what was described from a legal standpoint? Or it is at the discretion of the NJ FFL for whether or not I need a permit to get it back?
Same serial number, should not be an issue. But you never know with NJ FFLs. LOL
  • Like 1