Sevenshot

Pistol caliber carbines

Hey all, I'm seeing a lot more PCC, especially at matches, and am now interested in them as well.

besides the barrel obviously, what other parts in AR9 aren't interchangeable with AR15? Does it need a heavier buffer? Can I drop my Larue trigger into one? Ive seen side charging handles on a lot of production ones, any other must have differences from ar15 or other must have parts? School me.

28 minutes ago, Sevenshot said:

Hey all, I'm seeing a lot more PCC, especially at matches, and am now interested in them as well.

besides the barrel obviously, what other parts in AR9 aren't interchangeable with AR15? Does it need a heavier buffer? Can I drop my Larue trigger into one? Ive seen side charging handles on a lot of production ones, any other must have differences from ar15 or other must have parts? School me.

@Mrs.Zeke recently purchased a 9 dedicated lower.. because it was “ on sale.. “ then told me about it.

I’m pretty sure these aren’t gas systems. So a lot of specific stuff is needed.

btw @High Exposure, if I haven’t said thanks, wait for it.

https://www.quartercircle10.com/

58 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@Mrs.Zeke recently purchased a 9 dedicated lower.. because it was “ on sale.. “ then told me about it.

I’m pretty sure these aren’t gas systems. So a lot of specific stuff is needed.

btw @High Exposure, if I haven’t said thanks, wait for it.

https://www.quartercircle10.com/

Of93rUm.gif

9mm ARs can’t go D/I... parts of the jacket sheer off due to how close the gas port is and end up in the BCG. I’ve seen CMMG’s delayed blowback, which looks pretty nice.

Can go bigger... I have a .45 D/I, and have seen 10mm done.

ImCRuQv.jpg

gaFbC0W.jpg

Blowback can be a little tricky with getting the right buffer, but it is heavier overall (bolt). My .45 AR is just under 7 pounds, as shown.

After getting my 5.56mm AR squared away with its buffer problems (functioned fine, minus locking back on empty), I have to do something similar with my .45. Macon recommends a standard Carbine buffer, but going to try a H buffer to see if the bolt is moving too fast to lock back. That is probably it, as the symptoms are identical to my 5.56mm (will lock back fine on cycling... so want to slow the bolt down a tad).

In regards to similarities to a 5.56mm AR, the .45 D/I, used the same BCG... but bolt is different. Gas rings are standard. Buffer setup is similar. The gas system is a little different. The gas block on mine is about 3” up the barrel, with an extremely short gas tube.

On blowback, you get a one piece bolt. Here is a shot of my Beretta CX4 bolt, but it would be similar (heavy block of metal, to keep the action closed until safe to open).

zIdE8Br.jpg

Barrel doesn’t need a gas system, so more parts that aren’t needed.

Magazines are another issue, as most people standardized on Glock magazines (Colt 9mm magazines fit a standard AR magazine well... but .45s aren’t as easy). Glock magazines don’t fit in a standard AR magazine well, so either must get a magazine system that does or go with a lower that is setup for a specific magazine (as mentioned, “dedicated” lower).

My current setup uses H&K USC single stack magazines... as that was one readily available option that fit in the magazine well (with adapter block). Macon did come up with their own magazine, which I have an adapter for... but they are expensive (made well). I originally wanted to get 15s for here, but not spending the money on 10s. I’ll wait until I move, and get 20s. [emoji41]

• Like 1

I built a blowback PCC AR in .40 that takes Glock Mags.

cRXGc6K.jpg

All I needed was Glock Mag specific lower and BCG, and a caliber specific barrel and buffer. Everything else is standard AR*.

I got the lower, BCG and barrel from Quarter Circle 10, the buffer is from New Frontier Armory. I also used a JP Overpowered action spring (buffer spring).

There is no gas system, so you don’t need a gasblock or gas tube.

*The lower does come with a proprietary ejector and LRBHO installed, but uses standard AR trigger, safety, bolt catch, as well as standard takedown and pivot pins.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sevenshot said:

I've seen QC10 come up in my searches. Looking at the build kit there does seem to be a lot of different parts.

is there an intro to PCC firearm? Have experience with companies like PSA for this?

Have you looked at the new Ruger?

Although, I fully understand the merits of sticking with an ar pattern for manual of arms practice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

cRXGc6K.jpg

All I needed was Glock Mag specific lower and BCG, and a caliber specific barrel and buffer. Everything else is standard AR*.

I got the lower, BCG and barrel from Quarter Circle 10, the buffer is from New Frontier Armory. I also used a JP Overpowered action spring (buffer spring).

*The lower does come with a proprietary ejector and LRBHO installed, but uses standard AR trigger, safety, bolt catch, as well as standard takedown and pivot pins.

What brake did you use?

6 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

I'm also a fan of them.

Have you checked out the Beretta CX4 Storm? Or, CZ Scorpion, for non-AR looking carbines?

For a AR style PCC, I was looking at the Wilson Combat AR9, their stuff seems to be decent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Screwball said:

ImCRuQv.jpg

I normally don't like PCC ARs, and I think it is down to the Glock mag facing the "wrong" way.  Since those seem to be the most common version, I think I always just attributed that mag angle to ALL PCC ARs.  This, on the other hand, makes me really want one.  It just looks right.  I like the idea of cheap 9mm, but a .45 or 10mm or .40 would be fun in one of these too...  One of these days, I'll have some spare funds for a new fun toy like this.

Unrelated note: My only full auto experience was on a 9mm AR platform...it was like shooting .22s through my heavy barrel target .22 pistol, it didn't even move.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, High Exposure said:

cRXGc6K.jpg

We need to talk, I like this.  I had no idea a AR40 was available.  

5 hours ago, Zeke said:

Have you looked at the new Ruger?

Although, I fully understand the merits of sticking with an ar pattern for manual of arms practice.

I had not but I am now. Takedown is cool. Threaded, heavy, fluted barrel. Takes glock mags. Appears a lot of 10/22 accessories work. Price is right so might be ordering one by the end of the night.

• Like 1

Just now, Sevenshot said:

I had not but I am now. Takedown is cool. Threaded, heavy, fluted barrel. Takes glock mags. Appears a lot of 10/22 accessories work. Price is right so might be ordering one by the end of the night.

@Mrs.Zeke shot @GRIZ last week, lol the front sight fell off. Probably my fault 

I built one using PSA upper and lower and love it. I did install a JP roller trigger, as I really like them. Was a year ago when they still had the LRBO lower with Glock mags. Was just under$650 for the upper and lower. Added an LPK, JP roller trigger, Gessile charging handle, standard Magpul stock and recoil spring, Holodsun RDS and brake. Total cost $1053.00. Tons of fun. Best part is that I could drop the powder charge by 0.5 gn and still easily make minor PF. [emoji4]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

@Mrs.Zeke shot @GRIZ last week, lol the front sight fell off. Probably my fault 

It was the rear sight.  Screw that holds it for windage got loose and sight slid off. Put it back on.  Ruger needs have something bigger than a 1/16" Allen screw holding it.  I remedied it but Ruger needs to fix it.  Minor design flaw. I still really like the gun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

It was the rear sight.  Screw that holds it for windage got loose and sight slid off. Put it back on.  Ruger needs have something bigger than a 1/16" Allen screw holding it.  I remedied it but Ruger needs to fix it.  Minor design flaw. I still really like the gun.

@Mrs.Zeke totally broke it

• Like 1

Another alternative to an AR9 would be from Mech-Tech Systems, Inc.  You can use the frame of a Glock, 1911, or Springfield XD to mate with the upper and use your existing magazines.

There are two negatives that I see with the Mech-Tech System.

- The parablock/feed ramp that goes into the frame may get lost.

- Overall weight is kinda heavy.

- Chance that the bolt when locked back can go into battery if the rifle fell over or if the charging handle is bumped.

Below is a video of the Glock CCU disassembled. 

Regards,

TokenEntry

Someone build me a 9mm AR plz. A tacticool one. Likely my next build. No idea where to even start with it, only know a bit about standard AR builds and even that i barely know (yay youtube).
Whats a good budget for a good, quality, tacticool (IE Ambi, etc) 9mm AR? Thinking $1,000 +/- a bit? One that takes G19 mags would be awesome. I just picked up a CZ Scorpion but i think an AR9 or whatever would be cool.

I understand all the plusses by utilizing glock mags but the whole look of the way the mags sit into the AR lowers just kills it for me. I understand why they have to be that way from a functional perspective but..... blech!!! I know new Frontier Armory makes lowers that use MP5 mags but those mags are $$$. Someone should make a lower that takes scorpion evo mags!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

HOLY SHIT!! $2000?!?! I assume that is without the M5 and Scalarworks Mount.

Looks just like mine and it cost me maybe 1/2 that to build!

Wait what? Adding in a “ in guy” factor... looking like $1.5 k for this.... lower

Bleh $2,000!!!! No fanks

Someone should make ar15 specd mags that take 9mm bullets kinda similar to mp15-22 mags. Id be all over that. I agree that they look rididiculous with glock mags or the like but tbh some of these pics are sexy. I bought the scorpion evo for that exact reason. It looks NORMAL.

Sooo what should i be looking at for a GOOD ar9 as far as budget goes? 

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

I understand all the plusses by utilizing glock mags but the whole look of the way the mags sit into the AR lowers just kills it for me. I understand why they have to be that way from a functional perspective but..... blech!!!

Exactly my reason for not buying a AR9.

1 hour ago, Lambo2936 said:

I bought the scorpion evo for that exact reason. It looks NORMAL.

Same with me, overall it looks "different" (which I like), but the mags look "normal" when in place.

• Like 1