Sevenshot

Pistol caliber carbines

I like the EVO a lot. Would love to have one.

But, training time and funds are finite and hard to come by.

Every rep, every drill, every competition I can get in on an AR platform is a plus - for me.

Shooting a different platform would take valuable training time and ammo away. 

I would rather get time in on an AR platform where the reps build useful procedural memory.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Exactly my reason for not buying a AR9.

Same with me, overall it looks "different" (which I like), but the mags look "normal" when in place.

Right, i figured it wont be ANOTHER AR just sitting in my safe. Lol. I need another PCC because i have a dueling tree to shoot at now, that way the competition is fair for the 2nd shooter i bring along :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I like the EVO a lot. Would love to have one.

But, training time and funds are finite and hard to come by.

Every rep, every drill, every competition I can get in on an AR platform is a plus - for me.

Shooting a different platform would take valuable training time and ammo away. 

I would rather get time in on an AR platform where the reps build useful procedural memory.

You have very different needs than most of us.
I just shoot crap to relax and relieve stress. My 3 YO had an accident and proceeded to shmear crap everywhere. Haven't shot in months. Can't shoot til orientation in 10 days unless i go to R14 (bleh).
Halp.

2 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Right, i figured it wont be ANOTHER AR just sitting in my safe. Lol. I need another PCC because i have a dueling tree to shoot at now, that way the competition is fair for the 2nd shooter i bring along

If you're looking for 9mm, how about the Beretta CX4 Storm. It's also NOT a AR style platform like the Scorpion?

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

Cx4_PROFILE_L.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sevenshot said:

Glock mags are so cheap though. I don't think it looks bad, just different.

Indeed. Plus i could grab a mag from my hg and use it in my rifle if needed or the other way around. If shtf itd be cool to have a single caliber. Plus, a bit more punch than an AR7 or whatever.

Take a look at Stern Defense, they have very reliable magwell adapters for Glock, M&P , and Beretta 92 .  As of right now my AR9 is priced out under $450.  My Complete upper alone only cost me $220. Keep doing your research and JUMP on deals when they're available. I'm only building a shooter. You can keep all this tacti-cool crap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weekend_junkie said:

Damn fine weapon.

Hell yea. Mine can share mags with several of my hg's,  a Cougar & my 92.

3 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Damn right!

I have one in .45acp with a small boatload of 8045 mags and the matching (mag-wise) Stoeger Cougar.

They both need to come out of the safe soon and get a workout.

Love my Cougars, both 8045 and the 8000, not well known and thus very under rated imo.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, Sniper said:

I agree.

I have it in a .40, currently my favorite in the stable.

Bringing this thread back to life as im looking for a pcc. I would use it for home defense/shooting comps. Which is the most reliable out of

Beretta

Ruger

Chiappa rak 9 (don't know if it's considered a carbine)

Other brands? 

Would like something under 1000 if possible. 

For under $1000, you can get 2 HiPoint carbines and a bunch of extra jersey-compliant mags.

Best PCC for my money, as I have them in .380, .40 and .45 (No, I don't have one in the caliber that lost two world wars!)

Lifetime transferable warranty and made in Ohio.

3 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

For under $1000, you can get 2 HiPoint carbines and a bunch of extra jersey-compliant mags.

Best PCC for my money, as I have them in .380, .40 and .45 (No, I don't have one in the caliber that lost two world wars!)

Lifetime transferable warranty and made in Ohio.

I actually have one. However, i have to be honest they didnt run magazines as cleanly as i liked in the beginning. I gave it a cleaning and oiled it and has been good since but that hiccup initially had me second guessing the reliability. 

I may put some more rounds through it and reevaluate

On 5/3/2021 at 11:39 PM, Cheflife15 said:

I actually have one. However, i have to be honest they didnt run magazines as cleanly as i liked in the beginning. I gave it a cleaning and oiled it and has been good since but that hiccup initially had me second guessing the reliability. 

I may put some more rounds through it and reevaluate

I would suggest run what you have for now.  I see that you are at OBRPC.  There are lots of PCC shooters at matches there.  I'm sure you can ask to handle one at a match if you see someone with one.  I'm sure they may allow you to shoot it after the match.

The CZ Skorpion is just north of your price range but I have not seen them very reliable at matches although that could be user error.  The AR based platform offers the most customization.  You can elect for different comps, triggers, buffers, bolts, springs, magazine choices, etc.  I've also seen some AK style PCC guns out there as well although I do not know the pricing.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Bringing this thread back to life as im looking for a pcc. I would use it for home defense/shooting comps. Which is the most reliable out of

Beretta

Ruger

Other brands? 

Question is do you have a semi auto handgun? It would be an extra plus to pair your PCC with your handgun and be able to use the same magazines and caliber.

3 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

Question is do you have a semi auto handgun? It would be an extra plus to pair your PCC with your handgun and be able to use the same magazines and caliber.

With an adaptor the RAK 9 will take either Beretta 92 or Glock magazines. It's a different adaptor for each type. I have the Beretta adaptor and it ran them flawlessly.

It also moves the release from the traditional AK behind the magazine to a side release. They did not drop free but I think with more use that will change.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Ruger PC Carbine is pretty rock solid and takes Glock mags.  Lots of upgrades for it too (Tandemkross, etc).

If I didn't already have a Beretta Cx4, I'd get myself a Ruger PCC.  Cx4 is hard to get right now.

I just got a Ruger pc carbine. Can’t wait to bring it to the range 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Beretta

Ruger

Other brands? 

So under "Other brands" I would recommend a Rossi R92 carbine in.357 Mag.  I mention it because Ruger and Beretta PCCs don't seem to be regularly in stock anywhere.  I know Shooters normally stocked several models of the Ruger PCCs when things were normal.

I shoot the Ruger GP 100 in .357 in Shooter's indoor range and then take the carbine out to 150 yards on their outdoor range.  When using it for home defense, I change ammo to .38 special and stay away from FMJ to avoid over-penetration.

The carbine cost me 650 dollars out the door one year ago. 

One day I'll get an AR platform rifle, however, I refuse to pay today's prices for a "neutered" NJ compliant firearm.  I'll wait till I move to a more 2A friendly (and less property taxes) state.

Just my thoughts.....

3 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

So under "Other brands" I would recommend a Rossi R92 carbine in.357 Mag.  I mention it because Ruger and Beretta PCCs don't seem to be regularly in stock anywhere.  I know Shooters normally stocked several models of the Ruger PCCs when things were normal.

I shoot the Ruger GP 100 in .357 in Shooter's indoor range and then take the carbine out to 150 yards on their outdoor range.  When using it for home defense, I change ammo to .38 special and stay away from FMJ to avoid over-penetration.

One day I'll get an AR platform rifle, however, I refuse to pay today's prices for a "neutered" NJ compliant firearm.  I'll wait till I move to a more 2A friendly (and less property taxes) state.

Just my thoughts.....

I second the Rossi also. The only problem is finding ammo for it.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

Just my thoughts.....

The Rossi is OK, but suffers the same problem as the Winchester underlever - if you work the lever too fast the fresh round will sometimes stand up vertical and not load into the chamber. I much prefer the Marlin 1894 - particularly if you can get an earlier one. The Marlin has a solid top and ejects out the side. It is much easier to mount an optic if you want as the top strap is drilled and tapped for a rail.

11 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

The Rossi is OK, but suffers the same problem as the Winchester underlever - if you work the lever too fast the fresh round will sometimes stand up vertical and not load into the chamber. I much prefer the Marlin 1894 - particularly if you can get an earlier one. The Marlin has a solid top and ejects out the side. It is much easier to mount an optic if you want as the top strap is drilled and tapped for a rail.

I agree with your assessment of the Rossi.  I did some research and found that if you polish the feed ramp with 500 grit sand paper, the rounds feed a lot smoother.  I've put 300 rounds through the carbine no failures to feed.

If Marlin gets around to putting product back on the shelf, I will take a serious look a their "Dark Series" in 30-30.  I like that rifle!

2 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

If Marlin gets around to putting product back on the shelf, I will take a serious look a their "Dark Series" in 30-30.  I like that rifle!

As per Ruger - Marlin's lines will be up and running by the end of the year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

As per Ruger - Marlin's lines will be up and running by the end of the year.

This makes my heart soar like an eagle!

I have been increasingly impressed with Ruger lately. I look forward to them correcting the errors Remington made while they controlled Marlin.