mossburger

7.62x39 ARs

I wouldn’t go that route unless you have a lower that takes 7.62x39mm (AK) magazines.

With the angle of the AR magazine, you are good with 7.62x39mm up to around the 6/7 round mark. After that, the lack of support of the top round gives you a balancing act between feeding and nosediving.

The taper difference between the two rounds (5.56mm and 7.62x39mm) is why most AR adaptations of the Russian round are very unreliable. With the constraints of the AR magazine well, 7.62x39mm is a no-go for me. If you cut off that end of the lower and allow AK magazine fitment, have a better design.

I built my AR-47 Anderson lower stock lower parts only non 5.56 parts is the barrel, Mags,Bolt carrier group. Things eat steel round like butter, I recently had the extractor break but 17 dollar part and back in business.

This is my build:

I bought the upper complete assembled from MAS defense with the Bolt Carrier and charging handle

https://www.masdefense.com/

And this is the mags i have

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/asc-ar-15-7-62-soviet-5-round-stainless-steel-magazine.html#92=176

When i built mine i saw some ppl say it wont run or youll have problems some called them the problem child. BUT i havent had any problems besides the extractor broke last week. but like said 17 bucks and its back shooting. I love the 7.62x39. not expensive ammo for target shooting and i like to have different caliburs.

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

I only stock the CPD (C Products Defense) magazines, and not the ASC (ammunition storage components) mags from feedback customers have given me on both.

the asc ones need to be the ss model with the enhanced follower.  I have both and the asc are excellent.  Only had issues with one of my c-products so I trashed it

I use Golden Tiger in mine. I had to get a heavier spring to compensate for the light primer strikes on the harder military primers.

Then I put in a good trigger since the heavier spring caused the trigger pull to really suck! All's good now!:)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I use Golden Tiger in mine. I had to get a heavier spring to compensate for the light primer strikes on the harder military primers.

Then I put in a good trigger since the heavier spring caused the trigger pull to really suck! All's good now!:)

I have the mil spec trigger with a heavy trigger spring in it now, And it sucks. I may try a ALG/ACT I have laying around. 

I fed it some wolf  123 gr hp and  it ran fine.  What kind of trigger did you install

Just now, silverado427 said:

I have the mil spec trigger with a heavy trigger spring in it now, And it sucks. I may try a ALG/ACT I have laying around. 

I fed it some wolf  123 gr hp and  it ran fine.  What kind of trigger did you install

ALG/ACT is all it took to smooth mine out! It made a HUGE difference!:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

really like the ALG ACT for single stage no frills but a cheaper option that is every bit as smooth is the AP trigger.  I like it better actually

I Did a trigger job on a extra mil spec trigger i had laying around last year. I polished the surfaces with 1500 grit wet or dry paper I bobbed the hammer  added a  joe bobs trigger screw, and JP springs.   No creep no play just bang. 

1 hour ago, david8613 said:

I was looking at ar10 .308 what's the difference? Couldn't you shoot .308 and 7.62x39 in the same rifle, sorry for the dum question, newbie to this type of caliber.

No, that's 7.62x51. The 7.62x39 is the smaller AK/SKS round