Greenday

Slowly Improving

3 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

NRA membership is pretty affordable, fyi. Doesn't add much to the cost of things - and it funds programs that brings other noobs like yourself into the shooting sports. Worth considering. Hopefully you have enough independence of thought to realize that the tales of the "evil NRA with blood on their hands" are beyond ridiculous. A nice outdoor range is what you need now - not only to steadily improve, but I think simply for a fuller enjoyment of the sport. Shooting outside is soooo much more pleasant - not to mention less damaging to the ears, the lungs, etc.

I don't blame the NRA for all that happens. I'm just not a huge fan. I'm down with gun control if it's sensible (background checks and such. Mag limits are ridiculous) but the NRA opposes any and all gun control which is what I have an issue with.

8 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Spot on...

Much better lighting and most of all FAR healthier... er Less Bad!

No matter how good the ventilation is... you are still breathing in lead and mercury.  And all of that crap gets on your clothes and gun bag as you set it down on the floor/bench.

NRA membership is $25 or $30 per year with discount.  If you want it, let me know, can sign you up through the forum. 

Don't forget the extra Vitamin D being outside! I'll think about it. Possibly when things warm up.

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Goood, gooooood, let the NRA flow through you.

do-it-do-it-now.jpg

Seriously dude, just frigging join.  You won't wake up a Nazi skinhead, I promise.

Yes.... yes it did... made my signature.

4 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I don't blame the NRA for all that happens. I'm just not a huge fan. I'm down with gun control if it's sensible (background checks and such. Mag limits are ridiculous) but the NRA opposes any and all gun control which is what I have an issue with.

Don't forget the extra Vitamin D being outside! I'll think about it. Possibly when things warm up.

That is actually not true.... NRA and the gun industry threw the bump stocks and likely binary triggers under the bus!

But the point is, they need to take a hard stance because  they know they will have to negotiate some stuff later... but NRA being hardcore?  NAH... not even close.  Look at SAF.  NRA is actually considered quite liberal by many gun owners.

In any case, NRA does a LOT for new shooters and the general shooting sports.  Sometimes for the health of the community we just need to take everyone in.  Even on the forum we have a few token liberal gun owners. =) and @Ray Ray but we love them anyway!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

I'd love to. But the Atlantic County range only goes to 100 yards. Shooters only goes to 150 yards. South Jersey Shooting Club and Cumberland County Riflemen both require NRA membership, plus CCR aren't accepting new members. Range 14 is probably the closest and that's over an hour away. PITA for a regular spot.

You don't have an NRA membership? Do you own those guns or are you renting them? 

Here you go, NRA sign up link.  $30, $15 off of regular $45 and the forum gets $5. 

You can also sign up for the "Associate Membership" which is just $10... but does not get the magazine.

No excuses...

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XC021458

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Here you go, NRA sign up link.  $30, $15 off of regular $45 and the forum gets $5. 

You can also sign up for the "Associate Membership" which is just $10... but does not get the magazine.

No excuses...

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XC021458

This should be a sticky.....  Actually better than a sticky.   Put it on the home page, top center.  Not as an ad, but as a non 3rd party object, so ad blockers won't make it go bye bye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

This should be a sticky.....  Actually better than a sticky.   Put it on the home page, top center.  Not as an ad, but as a non 3rd party ad, so ad blockers won't make it go bye bye.

Was there the entire time.

I will change it out as native so not blocked as ad....

image.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Even on the forum we have a few token liberal gun owners. =) and @Ray Ray but we love them anyway!

As much as it pains me to say this, the NRA does a lot more in this state than SAF or GOA.  I had a membership to both and let both expire.  

Yes, the NRA sucks.  But, they are doing better than the other big names.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

Of course you have an issue. As a good, koolaid drinking Liberal, you feel the Constitution is a living, breathing document that should change with the direction of the wind, or whatever way the SJW want it to.

5 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Don't need a NRA membership to enjoy shooting guns.

But you do need a membership if you respect the 2nd Amendment... which apparently you don't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Of course you have an issue. As a good, koolaid drinking Liberal, you feel the Constitution is a living, breathing document that should change with the direction of the wind, or whatever way the SJW want it to.

But you do need a membership if you respect the 2nd Amendment... which apparently you don't.

The Constitution IS a living document to be changed as needed to protect people's rights. That's why we have the Constitution instead of the Articles of Confederation. Because the latter couldn't be changed.

No, you definitely don't need to be a member of the NRA to respect the 2nd Amendment. That's a silly sentiment.

4 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Don't need a NRA membership to enjoy shooting guns. 

Owning and shooting guns in America without an NRA membership is like, uuuh, masturbating.  Sure, you enjoy it.  But getting laid is a lot more fun.  NRA membership opens doors and helps ensure Americans will continue to enjoy the 2A, but if you are happy with pulling your pud while someone else is paying for your right to do that, okay, I guess.

• Like 2
  • FacePalm 1

5 minutes ago, Greenday said:

The Constitution IS a living document to be changed as needed to protect people's rights.

How is it changed and who can change it? Can people just ignore it if they feel like it?

6 minutes ago, Greenday said:

No, you definitely don't need to be a member of the NRA to respect the 2nd Amendment. That's a silly sentiment.

In your case, it's neither. Why is that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

We don't have to be douchey with personal attacks.  Good conservatives don't stoop down to crazy level. =)

2 minutes ago, Greenday said:

The Constitution IS a living document to be changed as needed to protect people's rights. That's why we have the Constitution instead of the Articles of Confederation. Because the latter couldn't be changed.

Yes, the constitution is a living document and no arguments from me.   This is partly why I respect the democratic principals enough to realize that if Liberals want to run the state into the ground at the expense of gun control, they can... it is my right to get the hell out of there.

Now, to answer your second question, honestly... I DO believe you need to be a member of the NRA.  If it was not for the NRA as the lobbying organization we would all be shooting 5 round magazines every other sunday only and every gun would be registered.

The problem is... what you will find, there IS NO MIDDLE GROUND!

You are not going to find ANY gun grabbers who merely want to ensure background checks and I have yet to see one "sensible gun control" person come out and say... "No, AR's are not the problem, they are merely scary looking... a 100 year old Mosin Nagant is more likely to kill someone from one round, or a 308 hunting rifle is more deadly."

This is what the gun debate is unfortunately today.

At a certain point, you need to pick a side, whether you agree with it or not 100%.

The only way guns remain safe is by the pro-gun lobby being extreme.

Now, as far as the background checks... it is all BS anyway and you should know there is no "gun show loophole" etc.  You buy a gun from a dealer, you get a background check.

Furthermore, ANYONE can do a face to face transaction at a gun dealer!  ANYONE!

The problem is... you cannot mandate it because it is "states rights."  You cannot pick and choose cases where on one hand "such as NYC or Cali gun control" but then at the same time say that Alaska, PA, Wyoming are too loose..  That is states rights... they have the right, legally to put in those controls as much as other states have the right to say... "we trust our citizens, guns are not evil."

But in any case... NRA is more than lobbying... it is primarily about informing, teaching new gun owners, sponsoring events, and most of all, benefits to members such as legal help.  

It really is silly if you think about it to say I am not going to be an NRA member even though they do 95% of the things I agree with.

In that case... I suppose Every liberal gun owner voted against Murphy? just because he was against guns?

Take a look at my posts from 10 years ago... you will find that I at that time did support "common sense stuff"  BUT... you learn with gun ownership that anti gun people DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT YOU, and don't know which way to point a gun.  To them, "common sense gun control" is merely the misconceptions and lies they think... i.e. a gang banger with mental health problems can go buy a gun at a store without a background check.

You also learn with time that guns are just an inanimate objects... anyone who really wants to can go 3d print a gun at Staples.... or go to Home Depot and buy ingredients to make a bomb.  Legal gun owners are not the problem and NO LAWS will stop bad people from doing bad shit.  They are criminals for a reason.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

We don't have to be douchey with personal attacks.  Good conservatives don't stoop down to crazy level. =)

Yes, the constitution is a living document and no arguments from me.   This is partly why I respect the democratic principals enough to realize that if Liberals want to run the state into the ground at the expense of gun control, they can... it is my right to get the hell out of there.

Now, to answer your second question, honestly... I DO believe you need to be a member of the NRA.  If it was not for the NRA as the lobbying organization we would all be shooting 5 round magazines every other sunday only and every gun would be registered.

The problem is... what you will find, there IS NO MIDDLE GROUND!

You are not going to find ANY gun grabbers who merely want to ensure background checks and I have yet to see one "sensible gun control" person come out and say... "No, AR's are not the problem, they are merely scary looking... a 100 year old Mosin Nagant is more likely to kill someone from one round, or a 308 hunting rifle is more deadly."

This is what the gun debate is unfortunately today.

At a certain point, you need to pick a side, whether you agree with it or not 100%.

The only way guns remain safe is by the pro-gun lobby being extreme.

Now, as far as the background checks... it is all BS anyway and you should know there is no "gun show loophole" etc.  You buy a gun from a dealer, you get a background check.

Furthermore, ANYONE can do a face to face transaction at a gun dealer!  ANYONE!

The problem is... you cannot mandate it because it is "states rights."  You cannot pick and choose cases where on one hand "such as NYC or Cali gun control" but then at the same time say that Alaska, PA, Wyoming are too loose..  That is states rights... they have the right, legally to put in those controls as much as other states have the right to say... "we trust our citizens, guns are not evil."

But in any case... NRA is more than lobbying... it is primarily about informing, teaching new gun owners, sponsoring events, and most of all, benefits to members such as legal help.  

It really is silly if you think about it to say I am not going to be an NRA member even though they do 95% of the things I agree with.

In that case... I suppose Every liberal gun owner voted against Murphy? just because he was against guns?

Take a look at my posts from 10 years ago... you will find that I at that time did support "common sense stuff"  BUT... you learn with gun ownership that anti gun people DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT YOU, and don't know which way to point a gun.  To them, "common sense gun control" is merely the misconceptions and lies they think... i.e. a gang banger with mental health problems can go buy a gun at a store without a background check.

You also learn with time that guns are just an inanimate objects... anyone who really wants to can go 3d print a gun at Staples.... or go to Home Depot and buy ingredients to make a bomb.  Legal gun owners are not the problem and NO LAWS will stop bad people from doing bad shit.  They are criminals for a reason.

One thing I do find interesting is the NRA says that their membership is a little over 5 million people. That leaves a lottttttt of gun owners not members. That's a small minority who are actually in the NRA.

Maksim, you make some good points. Honestly, being on the mild side of the gun control debate you just get ignored on the national stage. At the top level, it's all or nothing. And I truly enjoy shooting. I truly believe we have a right to arm and defend ourselves not just from criminals but from tyrannical governments and invaders. I just want responsible ownership and there's so many dumbasses out there letting their small kids get access to their guns or just doing dumb shit in general it's scary AF. 

I can't speak for other liberal gun owners because honestly, I don't know many. I didn't vote for Murphy because he's going to tax us out the ass to pay for BS.

I think part of wanting some gun control is me just not giving up hope that maybe there's something we are missing that we could do to stifle criminals' access to guns while not affect law abiding citizens.

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Make no mistake Maks, GD is resisting joining because he is a brainwashed liberal.  He is towing the party line because, if he meets his pals at Starfucks and mentions, over a half caf mocha latte, that he joined the NRA, he will be ostracized.  He won't have any friends anymore.  Well, libtarded friends anyway.

NRA =  bad evil baby murdering Nazis

Everytown =  Good, sensible rights grabbing, semi auto banning while you are not looking useful idiots.

If GD wants to be a useful idiot, whatever.  It's America, he's free to make that choice.  Ultimately, it's survival of the fittest (and smartest).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I just want responsible ownership and there's so many dumbasses out there letting their small kids get access to their guns or just doing dumb shit in general it's scary AF. 

I can't speak for other liberal gun owners because honestly, I don't know many. I didn't vote for Murphy because he's going to tax us out the ass to pay for BS.

Ok, so good thing you did not vote for Murphy... there is hope.

As far as access to guns... guess what?  Already illegal!  And NRA funds Project GunSafe, mandating gun locks for every gun.

Beyond that... are children accessing guns the issue?  I would think more kids get in trouble by having access to booze, drugs, cigarettes, kitchen knives and the internet!

But yes... children access to guns... already illegal.

Next... ?

Btw, here is the link to the NRA/NSSF Project Childsafe program.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2016/6/24/nssf-offers-free-gun-safety-materials-for-you/

https://www.projectchildsafe.org

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Make no mistake Maks, GD is resisting joining because he is a brainwashed liberal.  He is towing the party line because, if he meets his pals at Starfucks and mentions, over a half caf mocha latte, that he joined the NRA, he will be ostracized.  He won't have any friends anymore.  Well, libtarded friends anyway.

Everytown =  Good, sensible rights grabbing, semi auto banning while you are not looking useful idiots.

If GD wants to be a useful idiot, whatever.  It's America, he's free to make that choice.  Ultimately, it's survival of the fittest (and smartest).

Hey, I put up with a lot of BS but this has gone too far.

You'll never catch me inside a Starbucks. I am not basic AF.

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Hey hey hey... I am one of those Starbucks  which chocolate mocha drinking aholes!  Don't hurt my feelings.

I think the best thing we can do is merely present the facts and most of all be patient.... and I know that is the hardest part, especially when we seem to be having those conversations routinely.  We (experienced gun owners tired of the BS) need to maintain our cool so to speak because we need to closet gun owners to be comfortable.

ONCE he understands the NRA is not for Nazis, actually comes out to a few meetings or Shot Show and actually hangs around other NRA membership card holders he will realize we are not what we are portrayed to be.

BUT... I don't believe it is in the best interest of gun owners to live up to the "crazy gun nut" perception liberals have about us.

Just ask @Pizza Bob about our regular Starbucks forum meetups we did outside liberal Princeton.

All we need to do is have conversations without going into defensive mode... as hard as it is. 

10 minutes ago, Greenday said:

One thing I do find interesting is the NRA says that their membership is a little over 5 million people. That leaves a lottttttt of gun owners not members. That's a small minority who are actually in the NRA.

Many gun owners die off, many do not renew.  Far more than 5 million believe they have a membership but have not paid in years.

Furthermore, there have been slips of the NRA to SAF and GOF along with many state sponsored organizations.  Your typical gun owner does not have enough money to support them all.

It is still a very big number.

Also, despite being gun owners, 99% of the time a gun spends sitting in a safe... many people buy a gun for home defense, go shoot it the first few months and then put it away until they need it.  Usually at this time they also stop renewing.

What % of drivers have a AAA membership? =) Or what percentage of Republic and Democratic voters contribute to the RNC and DNC annually?  FAR FAR LESS!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greenday said:

You'll never catch me inside a Starbucks. I am not basic AF. 

2 minutes ago, Greenday said:

What benefits are there for having a NRA membership?

You will be supporting the continuing education and training of America's youth in firearms safety.  You will help your local range obtain insurance.  You will help fund the defense of good people like Shaneen Allen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greenday said:

What benefits are there for having a NRA membership?

Personal or for shooters?

For shooters in general it is knowing that NRA helps the clubs run their programs and donates money routinely.  They are a lobby group as you know.  A lot of it is tons of education.

Personal benefits beyond the satisfaction of knowing you belong with gun folks...

You get member discounts and promotions, you get a pretty good magazine and can join the private clubs which are far better, far cheaper!

If you don't want the magazine... as that is where the most cost is... just get the Associate Membership which is just $10!

oh... and you support the forum if you go through our link!  discount for you, a few bucks for the community. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Found a range 30 minutes out that is $45/yr membership that has a pistol range 25/50 yards for targets, a rifle range that is 25/50 yards, a rifle range that is 100, 200, and 300 yards, AND a shotgun range. Hell of a deal.

AND I can finally get into reloading!

• Like 1

GD, I am as about pro 2A as you will find.  For a long time I had a problem with the NRA, not because they promoted baby killing (and you know they really don't) , but that they viewed NJ as a lost cause.  I felt that my membership fees were not being directed where  it would do the most good for me.  I also did not like that NRA membership was required as a prerequisite to joining most clubs in NJ.  It kinda felt like a mafia protection racket.

In the end, when I did a comprehensive analysis of what the NRA does, it seemed stupid to not be a member.  Every range that you enjoy shooting at gets it's insurance through the NRA because it's politically risky for any other commercial insurance company (bunch of pussies) to underwrite a gun range.  So keep this in mind, the only reason you can shoot at ANY range is because the NRA insures them.  Were it not for the NRA, yo would have to go to PA to shoot.  Whether you like it or not, if you shoot guns in NJ, you are a beneficiary of the NRA.

While the NRA does little for NJ, they do a lot at the national level.  If you enjoy shooting any semi-auto rifle,  you have the NRA to thank for that.  I could go on but I;m tired.  I'll end this post like this, Think for yourself jackass, put some effort into your conclusions to ensure your conclusions are actually yours,  go beyond feelings and apply some logical effort to your decision making process.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, carl_g said:

You are planning on reloading 22LR?

Right now? It'd be .223 for my Ruger. Eventually when I work my way up in calibers, those too.

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I believe GD has come to understand that reloading 22lr is stupid and impractical.

A 1 second google search clued me in on that. Plus I can buy 5,000 rounds at $0.06/rd and I just got a 20% off rebate.