Greenday

Slowly Improving

Fun watching the improvement over time. First pic is when I first got the rifle (M&P 15-22), second is from yesterday. Both are at 25 yards. Groupings definitely tightening up. Not rushing shots as much, a little more focus on breathing. Looks like I need to adjust my red dot a little bit to the right and maybe a smidge up.

2j45a8p.jpg

aey4yg.jpg

Still really want to go somewhere with a longer range. Can't wait for Range 129 to open up with their 100 yard indoor range.

Slightly more embarrassing, my last trip where I shot my Walther P22. 10 yards and 7 yards. Definitely needs a lot of work. 

120o3yx.jpg

rrl4w3.jpg

Are there any one-on-one instructor programs in Southeastern NJ? As much as I nerd out about everything and can figure out a lot of stuff from video and reading, sometimes you just need that in-person help.

I use to get patterns like that using Federal .22s. But at 75 yds. I use only CCI mini mags now.  Don't expect much from a .22 past 75yds unless you're gonna get a better rifle. And not with a RDS
I use mini mags 40gr myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not bad.
If you ever want to try out longer distance shooting, hit me up. I have membership at Range 14 and will soon have membership at Quinton. It's probably a bit far but id be heading out from Glassboro and Quinton is down in Salem Township. Can carpool with me. They go out to 200 yards, outdoors. I'm not the best shot myself, so don't be concerned about embarrassing yourself. Odds are you're a better shot than me. I just enjoy it.. lol

GD, you may wish to consider obtaining a NJ Hunting License.  You can then should your 15/22 at the various Wildlife Management Area ranges. I usually shoot at Collier-Mills WMA near Jackson.  Outdoors out to 100 yards.

With my bolt action 22 with a scope, the best results I acheived were with CCI Green Tag ammo.  Expensive but worth it once in a while when shooting for accuracy.  As I recall I shot 1 MOA groups with it several times from a bench rest.  1/2 inch at 50  yards.

Lastly, I have mostly shot CCI Minimag and CCI AR Tactical through my 15/22. In a recent trip to the range, I shot 100 Remington Std Velocity round nose through it and experienced the worst build up of lead in my barrel that I ever encountered. So much so that I had trouble getting a cleaning patch or brush down the barrel. Had a hell of a time getting the barrel clean.(a story for another thread). So for me I will stick with the above  CCI going forward.

Not bad.
If you ever want to try out longer distance shooting, hit me up. I have membership at Range 14 and will soon have membership at Quinton. It's probably a bit far but id be heading out from Glassboro and Quinton is down in Salem Township. Can carpool with me. They go out to 200 yards, outdoors. I'm not the best shot myself, so don't be concerned about embarrassing yourself. Odds are you're a better shot than me. I just enjoy it.. lol
I might just have to take you up on that. Sounds fun.

GD, you may wish to consider obtaining a NJ Hunting License.  You can then should your 15/22 at the various Wildlife Management Area ranges. I usually shoot at Collier-Mills WMA near Jackson.  Outdoors out to 100 yards.
With my bolt action 22 with a scope, the best results I acheived were with CCI Green Tag ammo.  Expensive but worth it once in a while when shooting for accuracy.  As I recall I shot 1 MOA groups with it several times from a bench rest.  1/2 inch at 50  yards.
Lastly, I have mostly shot CCI Minimag and CCI AR Tactical through my 15/22. In a recent trip to the range, I shot 100 Remington Std Velocity round nose through it and experienced the worst build up of lead in my barrel that I ever encountered. So much so that I had trouble getting a cleaning patch or brush down the barrel. Had a hell of a time getting the barrel clean.(a story for another thread). So for me I will stick with the above  CCI going forward.
Yea I've thought about it. Then I could get into clay shooting too. I've heard a lot about Remington .22 ammo being dirty as hell when I was researching ammo. The CCI mini mags work real well and I just clean my rifle/pistol when I get home. Never been too troublesome even after a couple hundred rounds.

2 hours ago, Greenday said:

I might just have to take you up on that. Sounds fun.

Sure, just shoot me a text whenever. I have a few cool rifles and a wide array of steel targets including a dueling tree i just picked up. You're welcome to shoot whatever, just supply/cover ammo.

Quinton also has all of the shotgun sports, i dont know how to shoot em nor do i own a 12G yet but im certainly down to try em. Will hopefully be picking up a shotgun in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

Yea I've thought about it. Then I could get into clay shooting too.

Just do your research... I'm pretty sure you need to qualify for each (rifle and shotgun) if you plan to shoot them both at WMA ranges. Also, not every WMA has the same facilities - so check it out first and see what's close to you. But, in general, yeah, Old Guy's totally right - it's a fabulously cheap way to get access to outdoor ranges!! I plan to do the same myself at some point as I'm really close to the Clinton WMA. 

One clarification. You do not have to qualify for both shotgun and rifle. (It is bow that requires additional stuff). Once you complete the firearm class and test you get the safety course certificate and with that you can purchase your actual hunting license.  At the WMA muzzleloader/rifle ranges you can shoot muzzleloaders, shotguns(slug and buckshot only) and rimfire rifles. No handguns, centerfire rifles, or birdshot. Some WMAs such as Clinton have a separate shotgun clay range where birdshot is used. Collier-Mills does not have a clay range.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

One clarification. You do not have to qualify for both shotgun and rifle. (It is bow that requires additional stuff). Once you complete the firearm class and test you get the safety course certificate and with that you can purchase your actual hunting license.  At the WMA muzzleloader/rifle ranges you can shoot muzzleloaders, shotguns(slug and buckshot only) and rimfire rifles. No handguns, centerfire rifles, or birdshot. Some WMAs such as Clinton have a separate shotgun clay range where birdshot is used. Collier-Mills does not have a clay range.

THANK YOU for chiming in!!! I was not sure of the rules. :)

13 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Heard a lot of recommendations from these classes. Not exactly SE NJ or 1:1 though. https://sightsandtrigger.com/training

I haven’t had a chance to try them. As Zeke points out, I never leave my moms basement. 

Joe is good people and his classes are an outstanding value. I try to take at least one of his classes every year.

That being said, he will teach you gunfighting, not marksmanship (marksmanship is a component of course, but not the emphasis in his classes).

If you are going to take a class, make sure you are taking a class that covers what you want to learn, Is appropriate for your skill level, and that the instructor is reputable. Not all courses or instructors are created equal. Vet everyone.

ETA: I am not saying that a Sights and Trigger class would not be appropriate for you. A intro/basic class absolutely would be beneficial - there is nothing like professional training to increase your skill and ability quickly.

Edited by High Exposure

19 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Heard a lot of recommendations from these classes. Not exactly SE NJ or 1:1 though. https://sightsandtrigger.com/training

I haven’t had a chance to try them. As Zeke points out, I never leave my moms basement. 

Help me help you.

19 hours ago, Greenday said:

Fun watching the improvement over time. First pic is when I first got the rifle (M&P 15-22), second is from yesterday. Both are at 25 yards. Groupings definitely tightening up. Not rushing shots as much, a little more focus on breathing. Looks like I need to adjust my red dot a little bit to the right and maybe a smidge up.

2j45a8p.jpg

aey4yg.jpg

Still really want to go somewhere with a longer range. Can't wait for Range 129 to open up with their 100 yard indoor range.

Slightly more embarrassing, my last trip where I shot my Walther P22. 10 yards and 7 yards. Definitely needs a lot of work. 

120o3yx.jpg

rrl4w3.jpg

Are there any one-on-one instructor programs in Southeastern NJ? As much as I nerd out about everything and can figure out a lot of stuff from video and reading, sometimes you just need that in-person help.

Practice makes perfect 

• Like 1

@Greenday how did you zero your rds? What yards?

Hand guns is an entirely different breed of cat, drills etc

a robot can shoot a fire arm to the best accuracy the weapon can achieve.. we are practicing robot repeatability. Practicing good technique to perfection makes permanent ( @High Exposure )

How are shooting currently? Benchrest? Bipod? Willy nilly?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@Greenday how did you zero your rds? What yards?

Hand guns is an entirely different breed of cat, drills etc

a robot can shoot a fire arm to the best accuracy the weapon can achieve.. we are practicing robot repeatability. Practicing good technique to perfection makes permanent ( @High Exposure )

How are shooting currently? Benchrest? Bipod? Willy nilly?

25 yards. Sitting. Using a benchrest.

Right now, sometimes I stand, sometimes I sit. Standing, I'll shoot either with or without the 3X scope. Sitting, I have my arm resting on the edge of the bench to keep it steady.

1 minute ago, Greenday said:

25 yards. Sitting. Using a benchrest.

Right now, sometimes I stand, sometimes I sit. Standing, I'll shoot either with or without the 3X scope. Sitting, I have my arm resting on the edge of the bench to keep it steady.

You can only gauge yourself by repeating the same actions. Ergo the practice makes perfect.

now to @High Exposure accolades of infinite knowledge and wisdom.... if you practice wrong, it will make you permanently wrong. Ponder that.

bench and repeat at 25, until nauseating 

6 hours ago, Zeke said:

Help me help you.

Practice makes perfect 

I will offer my help too.  PM me if you're interested. A few people here can testify to my understanding 

Practice makes perfect.  However if you practice making the same mistakes who will never come anywhere near perfection.

The Army taught me how to shoot a rifle.  I started out "self taught" with a handgun.  I was pretty good.  When I got some professional instruction I found out all the mistakes I was making.  Took me some time to break those bad habits I had.  If you don't know what you're doing wrong you'll never get better.

Don't know the size of those targets.  With any half decent 22 you should easily shoot about one inch groups at 25 yds.  That's with iron sights.  You should easily do that with a 3X scope.  You have more than half way decent 22.

PM me if you want help.

Bumping for updates.

Been shooting a lot at Range 129, trying different things to see what's most comfortable shooting prone, what's most stable, breathing. Been shooting Wolf Gold 55gr and today finally cracked open a box of American Eagle 62gr boat-tail. With my hand under the butt of my rifle, I kept pushing the butt up and left when I shot. Range officer showed me another position where I have my off-hand on top of the butt. Just kind of keeping it in place, not putting downward force on it.

I like this new ammo and I like this technique. 4 shot groupings. The middle target is 0.70" at 100 yards. Not including the flyer on the bottom left, the group of three is 0.68". Bottom right target was quick firing.

I finally got a sub-MOA grouping at 100 yards!

20181230.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

awesome, congrats on the progress.

Now go shoot outdoors. 

I'd love to. But the Atlantic County range only goes to 100 yards. Shooters only goes to 150 yards. South Jersey Shooting Club and Cumberland County Riflemen both require NRA membership, plus CCR aren't accepting new members. Range 14 is probably the closest and that's over an hour away. PITA for a regular spot.

9 minutes ago, Greenday said:

South Jersey Shooting Club and Cumberland County Riflemen both require NRA membership

NRA membership is pretty affordable, fyi. Doesn't add much to the cost of things - and it funds programs that brings other noobs like yourself into the shooting sports. Worth considering. Hopefully you have enough independence of thought to realize that the tales of the "evil NRA with blood on their hands" are beyond ridiculous. A nice outdoor range is what you need now - not only to steadily improve, but I think simply for a fuller enjoyment of the sport. Shooting outside is soooo much more pleasant - not to mention less damaging to the ears, the lungs, etc.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

NRA membership is pretty affordable, fyi. Doesn't add much to the cost of things - and it funds programs that brings other noobs like yourself into the shooting sports. Worth considering. Hopefully you have enough independence of thought to realize that the tales of the "evil NRA with blood on their hands" are beyond ridiculous. A nice outdoor range is what you need now - not only to steadily improve, but I think simply for a fuller enjoyment of the sport. Shooting outside is soooo much more pleasant - not to mention less damaging to the ears, the lungs, etc.

Spot on...

Much better lighting and most of all FAR healthier... er Less Bad!

No matter how good the ventilation is... you are still breathing in lead and mercury.  And all of that crap gets on your clothes and gun bag as you set it down on the floor/bench.

NRA membership is $25 or $30 per year with discount.  If you want it, let me know, can sign you up through the forum. 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

NRA membership is $25 or $30 per year with discount.  If you want it, let me know, can sign you up through the forum. 

Goood, gooooood, let the NRA flow through you.

do-it-do-it-now.jpg

Seriously dude, just frigging join.  You won't wake up a Nazi skinhead, I promise.

• Like 5