GlennS87

Fort Scott 9mm TUI (tumbling ammo) legal?

I watched a ballistics gel test for 90 grain 9mm ammo. Given hollow points are illegal (NJ- know there are some exceptions), Is a bullet that is not a hollow point but is designed to tumble to inflict greater damage legal in NJ? It would seem like a good way to get some benefits of hollow points if they are legal.

There's quite a few ammo makers that are using the new breed on non-expanding/hydrostatic bullets, I would go with them if HPs  or "tipped" bullets are just not your thing.

They are loaded by Blackhills, Winchester, Underwood, Inceptor, etc..

I spoke to counsel on the use of HP for home defense. It was was explained to me that the are illegal if used in the commission of a crime. The problem with NJ as many of you know is that it in cases of home defense shootings it can be open to interpretation as to whether someone posed deadly threat or not. He said that it is likely a prosecutor would look the other way but you are dependent on that prosecutor.

Ray Ray - I wsn't aware that the polymer tips were legal in nJ. I will probably just go with that then. My biggest concern is over-penetration. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone other than who I would be aiming at.

Thanks for the responses.

The "secret" of their "tumbling ammo" is the conical bullet.  When a bullet enters any medium it starts to lose velocity.  When it loses enough velocity and most of the mass (weight) of the bullet is at the base the bullet starts to flip as the base has more inertia. This happens with round nose and semiwadcutter bullets when  they've lost enough velocity.  It will happen sooner with a conical bullet because there is more mass at the base. The lighter the bullet the sooner this will happen. Just about any non-hollowpoint ammo will tumble if it loses enough velocity.  This tumbling can be due to passage through a medium or  loss of velocity through air when shot at long range and loss of stabilization.  Tumbling can also be induced by using a rifling twist that is too slow.

Examples?  A 158 gr RNL std velocity bullet from a 38 special wIll tumble at close ranges  A 200 gr RNL 38 special will tumble sooner.  A 148 hollow base wad cutter won't because most of its weight is forward even though it's travelling slower.

Conical bullets are often used by LE agencies in countries that don't allow them to use hollowpoints.

You will never see NJ codify that use of hollowpoints for home defense i's legal.  Possession of hollowpoints in your home is legal.  Therefore if you use hollowpoints in a SD situation in your home that should be legal.  If you are charged with a crime in relation to a home defense situation using hollowpoints IMO would be the least of your worries.

There are a few ammo companies that load conical bullets.  Fiocchi and PMC are two of them I believe.  These and the Fort Scott are all FMJ bullets.  I can't see anyone looking at them as anything else.

If you don't want to use hollowpoints in your home defense firearms you will find conical bullets from other manufacturers cheaper.  I have some Fiocchi 142 gr 357 with conical bullets I bought for $15 a box of 50 not long ago.  I bought it not because of the conical bullet but because it was cheap 357 for practice.

2 hours ago, GlennS87 said:

I spoke to counsel on the use of HP for home defense. It was was explained to me that the are illegal if used in the commission of a crime. The problem with NJ as many of you know is that it in cases of home defense shootings it can be open to interpretation as to whether someone posed deadly threat or not. He said that it is likely a prosecutor would look the other way but you are dependent on that prosecutor.

Ray Ray - I wsn't aware that the polymer tips were legal in nJ. I will probably just go with that then. My biggest concern is over-penetration. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone other than who I would be aiming at.

Thanks for the responses.

there is no duty to retreat within your dwelling. it's right in the statutes