JMich3

Learning the language

My mom recently retired and is presently looking to move to Italy for her golden years. Turns out if you want to live in Italy you have 6 months to pas a stringent language test or else you are given a time period in which you need to leave the country. Am I a racist because I think this is a good idea? I see people that have lived here 20 years and cant speak a lick of english. Me personally i would want to learn the local language. Makes it a lot easier to find the restrooms!

• Like 3

We are the only country that usually speaks only one language and don’t require immigrants to speak English.

Most countries speak several languages.

Don’t know what the school requirement is here today but we were required to take 2 years of a language in HS...

I took Spanish figuring it would benefit me but forgot almost all of it due to lack of use. In grammar school, I learned some Italian to help a new family that came here. Their son and I became good friends. He helped me with Italian, I helped him with English. Again, lack of use left me forgetting. Biggest confusion with Spanish and Italian, lots of the language are very similar. Talking about screwing with a young kid’s head. [emoji6]

If that is Italy’s requirement, hats off. Everyone should know fluently the language in the country they call home. [emoji1303]

As for the evil element today, watch how fast the say ‘no hablas ingles’ when they see the cuffs cone out! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What about the fact the the DMV has books in many languages to help them pass the test to get a license. does any other country do that? We cater to everyone except our own. Sorry to say but If this keeps up in 100 years we won't recognize our country.

• Like 1

One of the biggest fails in this country is when Congress failed to pass a bill in the 1980's to make English the official language.  This country would look entirely different today if that had happened.  This fail is in large part the reason many people no longer assimilate into our society.

• Like 3

What about the fact the the DMV has books in many languages to help them pass the test to get a license. does any other country do that? We cater to everyone except our own. Sorry to say but If this keeps up in 100 years we won't recognize our country.

Can’t recognize quite a bit of it now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1