Lambo2936

Making handgun mags compliant

Hey all. So i got blocks for my handgun mags but would like to be able to disassemble them for service, especially 226 and vp9 pricier mags compared to glock.

Rather than pinning or epoxying, can i cut the springs a bit when the block is inserted? This would prevent it from being extremely difficult to insert all 10 rounds, too, would it not? Or does the spring go around the block and the block just prevents bullets from being inserted more than 10 at a time? If thats the case, obviously cutting the spring would be a no no. Blocks should arrive today so well find out i guess.. hoping to be able to disassemble em.

1 minute ago, JohnnyB said:

The spring goes around the block. Cutting the spring would make the mag unreliable or unusable.

Got it. So im forced to glue the base plate on, then? Do you think it might be an issue long tern if something goes wrong or for cleaning, etc? I suppose i dont shoot enough to make a difference.

• Like 1

I asked a similar question in the mag thread in the gun law section. I didnt get any responses. 

My understanding is, it cannot be "easily" reverted back to large capacity. Which is purposefully ambiguous. 

I agree with above. The blocks i purchased from magazineblock.com limit the movement of the follower to accept more than 10 rounds. Which means the spring still needs it original form to function reliably as it's position remains unchanged in the body of the magazine. 

Nothing says you cant be cheap on the epoxy and find a way to glue them closed so you can eventually one day pop the base plate off.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Got it. So im forced to glue the base plate on, then? Do you think it might be an issue long tern if something goes wrong or for cleaning, etc?

Personally, I wouldn't glue them, as sometimes the spring or blocker gets hung up, and needs to be readjusted. If glued, you'd have to throw the mag away or butcher it up to fix the issue.

4 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Why not put a roll pin in the base then epoxy the ends of the rollpins. If you need to disassemble later, drill out the epoxy and hammer out the pin. Same thing as a threaded brake. 

Will see if i can make this work. Id like to be able to clean/fix em if things go wrong.

I would not under any circumstances cut the spring.  Even if the spring didn't go around the block, loading it to 10 rounds with the block installed would be no harder than loading it to full capacity without the block installed.

Some magazines have a little plate that goes on the bottom of the spring.  You may be able to argue that epoxying the block to that metal plate should be sufficient, since the magazine was designed to function with that metal plate.  Then you would still be able to disassemble and clean your mags.  And honestly, I think the chances of your mags being checked is slim to none.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, or a NJ resident anymore.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 11:26 AM, Lambo2936 said:

Got it. So im forced to glue the base plate on, then? Do you think it might be an issue long tern if something goes wrong or for cleaning, etc? I suppose i dont shoot enough to make a difference.

Think about the glue guns, that use the sticks of glue that melt and harden. Seems pretty permanent, but!!   Worst case scenario a heat gun can soften it enough to work things apart. Just don't go crazy using lots and lots of it. Not a lawyer but a renovations guy who's used these and other attachment products for a long time. 

• Like 1

What do dentist use to put caps on teeth? 

‘I’ve had a couple of caps, seems my dentist can fix the cap on securely, but weeks and sometimes years later she uses a gun like tool to soften it up enough to make it easy to pry off.