Lambo2936

WTF Cabelas? No longer shopping here.

So i just drove to the DE cabelas since ive got a guest visiting from Australia and figured id show him some firearms and such since he was interested. Figured id pick up the Stoeger M3k i wanted. Called in and reserved the last one they had and drove in.. after waiting for the employee to manage to assemble the shotgun and waiting in line for god knows how long, i filled out the nics info and waited for them to get back to me with what i figured would be an OK.

Instead, after like 45 minutes of waiting the manager finds me in the store and says that because the back of my fid isnt the same color as the front and my fingerprint is pressed rather than rolled, he cant sell me the long gun and i have to wait 3 or 4 days for him to get an OK from corporate to purchase the shotgun.

I specifically took ~5 hours out of my day nevermind gas and tolls to come pick the shotty up (and so that my Aussie guest can see some cool stuff) only for the dude to send me away not for a failed nics check but because the color doesnt match and the date of issue is written not printed? What the hell is up with that? 

Needless to say i left my cart full of shit the way it is and walked out the store. I will take my money to Tanners (cheaper anyways) along with any other purchases. The initial guys helping me out were cool but to make me wait that long only to send me away is plain inconsiderate. My guess is NICS came back OK and the manager decided to check the paperwork, as the other employees handled it multiple times and never said anything.. absolutely furious. As if i dont have crap that needs to get done.. will be contacting corporate as well, my gas aint free.

Hmm...interesting.  The front of the NJ FID has been yellow and the back white since at least the 70s.  There is not enough room to roll most thumbprints on the back in the space provided that's why it's a press.  I'd hazard a guess that Cabelas in DE has sold thousands of guns to NJ residents with these IDs since it opened.

Let us know how this works out.

the good guys all got tired of the walmart mentality/management requiring each employee to push/meet a credit card quota, and them straying from the original mantra of hiring knowledgable people with real world experience (mil/le) and became a hire anybody that would work in a gun store that would not allow you to carry concealed or otherwise irregardless if you were le or not and pay you $10 per hour........and then the managers are the typical retail managers, the firearm manager has 0 knowledge of firearms/laws/etc ...

they follow a flow chart handed down from corporate, but have sold most/all(?) the high profile de shooting weapons since they opened...the delaware trooper murdered a couple years ago at the wawa and the standoff that followed at his parents house...yep cabelas sale...guy at counter attempted to shut that sale down...but manager said "not enough evidence to stop sale"..a couple weeks later it happened

they are so scared of negative feedback/"racial" intimidation they are well known in de to be the place to go for the straw buyers....hell theres postings online of the right words and key phrases to use to raise hell and get a gift card up to $100 to use on your purchase that day....the place is a joke i had a few friends from the gun counter quit as a result of cabelas putting guns in the wrong hands in fear of being called racist

i wouldn't spend my money there 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Hmm...interesting.  The front of the NJ FID has been yellow and the back white since at least the 70s.  There is not enough room to roll most thumbprints on the back in the space provided that's why it's a press.  I'd hazard a guess that Cabelas in DE has sold thousands of guns to NJ residents with these IDs since it opened.

I looked at the guy and im like uhh what? This is a completely standard fid, ive had a few from moves and such. Guy is completely clueless. I emailed corporate, its complete bullshit. Either getting a hell of a discount on the shotgun or raising hell up down left and right about the fact that the white manager refused to sell to a middle eastern person who otherwise passed NICS. You bet im going full democrat....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

I looked at the guy and im like uhh what? This is a completely standard fid, ive had a few from moves and such. Guy is completely clueless. I emailed corporate, its complete bullshit. Either getting a hell of a discount on the shotgun or raising hell up down left and right about the fact that the white manager refused to sell to a middle eastern person who otherwise passed NICS. You bet im going full democrat....

You wouldn't be going Democrat.  Just raise hell politely :)

1 hour ago, pjd832 said:

you shoulda raised hell they'd have given you a $100 gift card and sold you the shotgun..lol

If i knew i would. Tbh i didnt even know how to react for a solid 30 minutes. The guy was either a complete idiot, didnt like my name (i otherwise look completely 'white'), or IDK what.

I was there with my two young kids, my fiance, and our Aussie friend. Not some shady dude there alone... so, idk what the real reason was. Mind you i didnt see the guy at all, he must have been in the back, hes just the one that came and found me browsing the isles to give me the news.. something worth mentioning is that the employee was Arab (egyptian, i believe). He asked where my name was from and i told him i was Israeli. He may not have been a fan of that and just told the manager that i was being sketchy. Who knows. Either way i damn sure want to know the truth.

Another thing.... if hes so certain my license is fake, why would he not call the cops over the fact that i'm trying to buy guns with fake info? That is, after all, illegal?

On the occasion they actually do decline to proceed  they don’t call anyone, I know the employee you mentioned well, and you are correct on location.  Definitely push back... I’ve seen them deeply discount the firearm as well as free ammo gift cards. Most times the person that speaks to the customer is not  the firearm manager just the manager on duty, could be footwear or clothing manager going off what the guys at the counter tell him. I’ve seen them deny a woman buying her first ar because she didn’t handle it like a Marine. She ended up getting 25% off and a couple hundred rounds and case free..... but she really rattled cages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pjd832 said:

On the occasion they actually do decline to proceed  they don’t call anyone, I know the employee you mentioned well, and you are correct on location.  Definitely push back... I’ve seen them deeply discount the firearm as well as free ammo gift cards. Most times the person that speaks to the customer is not  the firearm manager just the manager on duty, could be footwear or clothing manager going off what the guys at the counter tell him. I’ve seen them deny a woman buying her first ar because she didn’t handle it like a Marine. She ended up getting 25% off and a couple hundred rounds and case free..... but she really rattled cages.

Certainly going to push hard. Its been annoying me since it happened haha. Literally went with a wad of cash and was prepared to drop a few hundred bucks on clays, shells, and some other stuff on top of the shot gun.... so guess ill see what they can do.

I mean, I got my card this year and it's still yellow and white. It shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I mean, I got my card this year and it's still yellow and white. It shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He had me feeling like an idiot until i realized the stuff he mentioned as out of the ordinary is complete nonsense and is entirely standard. Itd be hard for me to fske an fid with two different colored sides versus if it was all one color. If anything thats proof it isnt fake!  Go figure.

5 minutes ago, PK90 said:

When did they start issuing the dual color FPIDs?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

According to (iirc) griz, 1970s. Ive had a dual color fid since i got mine 3 or 4 years ago.

28 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

IIRC the FID has always been yellow on front and white on back.

Regardless, the point is that it certainly is far from unusual nowadays. To say that it is, as the apparent firearms manager (he specified that, not just manager or general manager) is idiotic. So is the other crap. Something is up and this was likely just an excuse to deny me. Why they would otherwise do so, however, is beyond me. I would imagine that if i failed NICS they would tell me, nor can i fathom a reason as to why i would fail. I had a brain fart and didnt want to put the wrong ss# in so i didnt put one; employee said its optional and given my name its not like theyll be able to mix something up.. maybe thats the issue? Idk.

3 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Speaking of Cabelas, will they sell a rifle with an evil feature on it to a NJ resident, or do they screen the rifle to make sure it passes all current NJ laws?

They only sell the neutered ones to us. 

25 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Regardless, the point is that it certainly is far from unusual nowadays. To say that it is, as the apparent firearms manager (he specified that, not just manager or general manager) is idiotic. So is the other crap. Something is up and this was likely just an excuse to deny me. Why they would otherwise do so, however, is beyond me. I would imagine that if i failed NICS they would tell me, nor can i fathom a reason as to why i would fail. I had a brain fart and didnt want to put the wrong ss# in so i didnt put one; employee said its optional and given my name its not like theyll be able to mix something up.. maybe thats the issue? Idk.

Keep in mind a FFL can refuse to do a sale.  Just like someone can refuse to do business with you as long as it's not based on race, sex, religion, etc.

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

It's corporate policy so no Cabela's store will sell to us unless it's the neutered version.

Irrelevant. Guy was ready to make the sale, was waiting on nics, manager comes out 45mins later claiming issue with fid.

11 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Keep in mind a FFL can refuse to do a sale.  Just like someone can refuse to do business with you as long as it's not based on race, sex, religion, etc.

Yes i am well aware. Just like i can publicly bash them for refusing a sale to a middle eastern man and claiming that the reasoning was a two tone fid which is completely standard.. lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

As long as its not a cake for a gay wedding..........

• Like 2

So far, 50$ gift card being sent to my address and the license holder for the de location is contacting me tomorrow to discuss, along with a discount on the firearm. We'll see what happens.

They stated in this last email that its normal when the id is worn, discolored etc from being in the pocket.

I pointed out its a purchasing license, so its been used maybe 6 times in the year and change that i have had this fid. No discoloration and minimal wear from being in my wallet for a few days. I pointed out that the manager made clear when i asked that the reason for refusal was that it was two different colors and a few other issues, and that he all but said that the id might be fake. Nothing about excessive wear or the likes.

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Speaking of Cabelas, will they sell a rifle with an evil feature on it to a NJ resident, or do they screen the rifle to make sure it passes all current NJ laws?

I posted this on an earlier thread: I stopped at Cabelas in Maine yesterday on the way back from a Maine vacation. I have points to burn so I stopped in and was turned down for a Ruger semi .22 rifle. It has a 15 round mag and we’re already on their restricted list. 

The counter man spun the screen around and showed me how the computer would not let the sale go through. This was before the ban took effect too.  So it's system wide.  I had 3 guys help me including one who said if he had one home he wold have sold it to me.  I've got 250.00 in points and I'm going to Bass Pro to burn them then I'm switching cards back.  

6 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Irrelevant. Guy was ready to make the sale, was waiting on nics, manager comes out 45mins later claiming issue with fid.

I was answering a general question from @Sniper22regarding whether Cabela's would sell a rifle that is banned in NJ to a NJ resident. My response had nothing to do with your situation which was totally unfair and uncalled for! I hope you get your shotgun for free!:) Sorry for the misunderstanding neighbor! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It's corporate policy so no Cabela's store will sell to us unless it's the neutered version.

How about other gun shops besides Cabela's? Do they do the same thing? Specifically wondering about a folding stock? Would a shop in PA sell a rifle with this "evil" feature to a NJ resident, or neuter it too?

14 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

How about other gun shops besides Cabela's? Do they do the same thing? Specifically wondering about a folding stock? Would a shop in PA sell a rifle with this "evil" feature to a NJ resident, or neuter it too?

Youll have a hard time finding a dealer willing to risk it. They have to follow NJ laws iirc.