Sign in to follow this  
revenger

"N.J. schools may soon screen teens for depression -- A guide for parents."

This story just appeared on NJ.com.   NJ.com changed their site recently making it harder to post links.

Gun owning parents and parents in general should understand this has NOTHING to do with finding out if a child has CLINICALLY DIAGNOSED DEPRESSION.   This has to do with taking away lawfully owned guns from parents whose child may not answer these question to their satisfaction.   once again see this link .  https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/10/lawsuit_filed_against_phil_murphy_seeks_to_help_nj.html

Opfor will be passing as many laws as possible "in anticipation" of ANYTHING they do not like.      Talk to your kids and, explain this to them and what their ultimate goal is.  

If schools and school unions had more diversity of thought, and diversity of political viewpoints, I would have no concerns about a law like this. In fact, I would applaud it as an innovative idea with many potential positive applications.

Unfortunately, the devil is in the details. How would it be implemented? Judging from the political platforms of teachers' union over the past few decades - and just anecdotally, judging from my circle of Bernie-lovin', activist teacher friends - that field is sooo overwhelmingly left-leaning in its political stance, it's almost hard to imagine how a program like this wouldn't get abused! Yeah, I too could see this getting used unfairly against kids from gun-owning households as per @revenger's concerns.

The entire 'screen' consists of only two questions, and short ones at that.   That's not much upon which to base even a screening diagnosis.

Teen depression is a serious problem, deserving of serious attention...but this isn't serious attention, and it does seem to dovetail conveniently with the recently-passed red flag laws, which were designed to allow firearm confiscation from pretty much anyone.

"the child’s parents will be notified. "     sure, as well as the local police, county sheriff or state police to investigate if a parent has a FPID or registered firearms.  county prosecutor as well to recommend to a judge that your guns be put in "safe keeping" until a professional diagnosis can be made all at the cost of a 2-3 thousand psychiatric evaluation of the family and the thousands in legal fees  and you and your children being added to a government list FOREVER .    later on in life when your child or you applies for a job or a gun license he/she will be forced to answer "yes" to some question not yet crafted in order to catch you in a lie and deny your child or you a freedom which is enjoyed by citizens who enjoy the protections of the constitution.

No thanks Dr Conaway  (   Dr. Herb Conaway (D-Burlington), a primary sponsor of the Assembly bill.)  Being a responsible parent I am best suited to make these decisions NOT THE GOVERNMENT!!!!