stuckinNJ

Did the ban on private sales go into effect? What's the protocol now? What are gun shops charging? Does buyer or seller pay or is the fee split?

Just now, 67gtonut said:

FTF sales now require a Background Check....

So yes, you need to go to the FFL of your choice and ask what he charges....

As far as charges ...... thats between you and buyer/seller how you want to handle the cost... 

Thanks. I searched around and didn't see anything here, and the marketplace postings didn't seem to mention anything either. 

I don't see transfer costs changing. It's still time and paperwork to be filled out so I'm not sure why people expect it to be less.

Who pays the fees will probably depend on each individual transaction and how both seller and buyer work it out. I think splitting it 50/50 is fair but I think a lot of people will expect the buyer to eat the costs. I think it'll also depend on how the item is priced and if it's a good deal.

There's no doubt this law will be doing exactly what its intention is - decreasing ftf sales. Variables such as transfer fees, NICS checks and the slow system we have will cause tons of problems, as well as having to plan what FFL and where to meet up will all have a major effect on gun sales.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

So the thread shows a star in my unread posts. Are you a newbie? LOL

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Ohhh lol not I'm not new, but I've become so paranoid about sarcastic remarks that I thought it was some way of saying this was a stupid question/covered already or something. Or I thought you were asking me to add tags to the post... IDK total brain fart.

13 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

I don't see transfer costs changing. It's still time and paperwork to be filled out so I'm not sure why people expect it to be less.

Who pays the fees will probably depend on each individual transaction and how both seller and buyer work it out. I think splitting it 50/50 is fair but I think a lot of people will expect the buyer to eat the costs. I think it'll also depend on how the item is priced and if it's a good deal.

There's no doubt this law will be doing exactly what its intention is - decreasing ftf sales. Variables such as transfer fees, NICS checks and the slow system we have will cause tons of problems, as well as having to plan what FFL and where to meet up will all have a major effect on gun sales.

Totally agree. It was difficult enough to find a time when 2 parties could meet for a ftf. Now its gonna need to be at an FFL, during opening hours, when both ppl can meet and after a NICS check is done bc we all know how often it gets backlogged. And then what happens if the buyer sees the gun in hand then decides he's not interested? Who pays the NICS then? And then maybe that will deter buyers from doing a NICS in advance leading back to the orig problem of a NICS backlog!!!! Then what happens if a NICS is done on the spot and its backed up for days?!!!

2 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

Totally agree. It was difficult enough to find a time when 2 parties could meet for a ftf. Now its gonna need to be at an FFL, during opening hours, when both ppl can meet and after a NICS check is done bc we all know how often it gets backlogged. And then what happens if the buyer sees the gun in hand then decides he's not interested? Who pays the NICS then? And then maybe that will deter buyers from doing a NICS in advance leading back to the orig problem of a NICS backlog!!!! Then what happens if a NICS is done on the spot and its backed up for days?!!!

I'd think if the buyer sees the gun and backs out, it should be when they first meet at the FFL and before a NICS check is ran. If NICS is ran and the buyer pulls out after, I'm not sure what happens then but I'm confident the buyer will have to pay for any fees.

The bigger issue I see with all of this and you touched a little on it is NICS is not an instant check like other states. So what happens if buyer and seller meet at an FFL at 3pm, NICS ran, and the FFL closes at 4pm with no update on the check? Does that mean both buyer and seller need to come back a separate day once NICS is passed? I mean how else would that work? Possibly the FFL could hold the gun I guess in which case only thr buyer would have to return to pick it up.

Technically, NICS cannot be ran in advance by the way. It must be entered once paperwork is filled out at the FFL.

When I worked at a FFL I was told an "approved" NICS check was good for 30 days.

It is. Also approved for a transaction which could be multiple firearms, but you can't complete one and use same NICS a week later for another one.

This whole change in the FTF thing is stupid and is about people control. I will not sell anything in NJ. I would rather drive to PA for FTF where transfers are half the price and PICS is $2 or better yet ship to buyers in free states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

Therre's no doubt this law will be doing exactly what its intention is - decreasing ftf sales. Variables such as transfer fees, NICS checks and the slow system we have will cause tons of problems, as well as having to plan what FFL and where to meet up will all have a major effect on gun sales.

Great post and I have to agree for the most part. For me however I refuse to pay the transfer fees if I see somebody posting to sell something and then I decide to buy it. My reasoning is that they are looking to sell it I didn't ask them specifically for it, I didn't put a wanted to buy add up. If you are looking to sell you better factor in those transfer cost in your price. Then again, I find I buy very little in New Jersey because people seem to have an inflated value of what they have and always include the nics in the price. Kind of an interesting studying seller Behavior to be honest

I also guarantee that quite a few people are not going to use or abide by the new law. Imagine having done business with somebody for years upon years or family or close friends and now all of a sudden the two of you are expected to go through an FFL?   unless you are buying anything serialized after the date it is virtually impossible for anyone to determine when you sold it to them because you could say I sold it prior to that date.

• Like 1

I wonder how long a wait one might have at an FFL that is in the business of selling guns on their own?  I would imagine when busy they would prioritize doing the paperwork for guns they are selling where they are making a margin on the gun as well.  Thus, you might have to both wait for nics to run after you wait who knows how long for the FFL to even take your paperwork.

so now, depending on compliance level, we'll have even privately sold firearms being registered through the back door?

also.........how is this extra load gonna effect the ffl's, and the nj nics system itself?

That's exactly why they did it. More people control.

It is going to bog down the system something fierce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fudds ain't gonna like it. I foresee a lot more denials for Joe Bob want'n to buy Billy Joe's rusty double barrel cause his cousin reported to the Law what he did behind the barn 30 years past.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PK90 said:

The Fudds ain't gonna like it. I foresee a lot more denials for Joe Bob want'n to buy Billy Joe's rusty double barrel cause his cousin reported to the Law what he did behind the barn 30 years past.

I have news for you, go on some of these hunters forums, as I do, and you’ll find more than half of them aren’t even aware of this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

so now, depending on compliance level, we'll have even privately sold firearms being registered through the back door?

also.........how is this extra load gonna effect the ffl's, and the nj nics system itself?

Follow the money....

Why does NJ use a third party to source a NICS background check.  Who owns the company and who makes money?

Now the amount of NICS checks will increase dramatically.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Old School said:

Follow the money....

Why does NJ use a third party to source a NICS background check.  Who owns the company and who makes money?

Now the amount of NICS checks will increase dramatically.

That was really the reason for ending FTF selling!

4 minutes ago, Old School said:

Does anyone know who the company is that does the NJ NICS?  I'd like to research the ownership.

It used to be the following back in 2013. I don't know if it was changed. 

Champion Communications
1001 Yamato Road
Suite #406
Boca Raton, FL

(561) 272-5667