stuckinNJ

Did the ban on private sales go into effect? What's the protocol now? What are gun shops charging? Does buyer or seller pay or is the fee split?

... Since it was not addressed directly from what i can tell in the new laws i will revert to our original practice until otherwise advised by the NJSP ...

Regarding the other post referencing a F2F handgun transfer, would not the seller on the form still be the Private Party as it was not directly addressed in the law?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I do not think this is the case. I did not see any wording that addressed this specifically. Previously an air gun sent to a dealer required paperword , COE Or P2P but no Nics check.
That being said one can interpret all to mean "All" or "ALL" LOL.  Since it was not addressed directly from what i can tell in the new laws i will revert to our original practice until otherwise advised by the NJSP.
My Opinion... Nics is the federal background check system and only items considered firearms federally are nics checked.

Then why the hell did you have me fill out 4473 and run NICS for Antique Finnish Mosins that the Feds don't consider a firearm.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Then why the hell did you have me fill out 4473 and run NICS for Antique Finnish Mosins that the Feds don't consider a firearm.

1. Because the njsp addressed this with me and said something about modern Cartridge.

2. I hate you

3. After seeing your posts they wanted to require you to run nics for a butter knife but I taked them out of it.

• Like 3

1. Because the njsp addressed this with me and said something about modern Cartridge.

2. I hate you

3. After seeing your posts they wanted to require you to run nics for a butter knife but I taked them out of it.

I know just busting your balls.

The correct answer is NJ NICS is different from Federal NICS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So i put my rifles up on Armslist, and i've got people asking me why i want to go through an FFL and asking for FTF transactions. I'm not sure if they are unaware of the new laws or if they think i'm willing to break it for a stranger with a few hundred bucks, yet.. we'll see.. lol

So i put my rifles up on Armslist, and i've got people asking me why i want to go through an FFL and asking for FTF transactions. I'm not sure if they are unaware of the new laws or if they think i'm willing to break it for a stranger with a few hundred bucks, yet.. we'll see.. lol
Some are cops or ATF. I see the items listed everywhere but you may want to take a second look at prices. Check GunBroker for the highest prices people are realizing.

3 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Just about everyone not on this site doesn’t know. At least thats been my experience. With the mid terms coming up I’ve been trying to spread the word. 

• Like 1

I would guess the vast majority of them also stayed home Election Day.
  • Like 1

Or they could have a set and refuse to comply

If they are asking why go to an FFL it’s most likely they don’t even know laws changed. We have customers who come in and are surprised when we tell them the new capacity limit
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, remixer said:

If they are asking why go to an FFL it’s most likely they don’t even know laws changed. We have customers who come in and are surprised when we tell them the new capacity limit

Which has me leaning toward they are non-voters. People with their heads in the sand. 

Which has me leaning toward they are non-voters. People with their heads in the sand. 

100%

Some are ignorant to the importance of voting some just don’t care until it directly affects them.

During the governors election I sent out an email to customers urging them to vote for Kim. I had one guy tell me to remove him as he will never shop at my store because I got political.

Plenty of gun owners are ignorant bastards when it comes to politics
  • Like 2

100%

Some are ignorant to the importance of voting some just don’t care until it directly affects them.

During the governors election I sent out an email to customers urging them to vote for Kim. I had one guy tell me to remove him as he will never shop at my store because I got political.

Plenty of gun owners are ignorant bastards when it comes to politics

That they are. I can't stand the no political talk rules some firearms groups have. If you aren't politically involved as a firearms owner and Anti Democrat then you are a moron. The Democrats won't be happy til the laws are like England. .22 and birdshot only.

Here's an update as promised: just sold a handgun in a "private" sale at an FFL (Bergen Sporting Goods). It took about 45 min (as opposed to just 5 min it used to take...) Thankfully, NICS was instant.

The store input the handgun to their books and then did a normal transfer to the buyer. Buyer paid the transfer and NICS fee.

They gave me a store receipt with the gun info and serial number (as opposed to the blue copy of the P2P I used to get as seller.) This serves as my proof that I sold it.

Definitely a much more inconvenient process than before. We had to meet far from both of our homes, while the store was still open. This went relatively smoothly, but obviously that's because NICS wasn't backlogged.

I guess I fared about as well as I could've.

Here's an update as promised: just sold a handgun in a "private" sale at an FFL (Bergen Sporting Goods). It took about 45 min (as opposed to just 5 min it used to take...) Thankfully, NICS was instant. The store input the handgun to their books and then did a normal transfer to the buyer. Buyer paid the transfer and NICS fee. They gave me a store receipt with the gun info and serial number (as opposed to the blue copy of the P2P I used to get as seller.) This serves as my proof that I sold it.

Definitely a much more inconvenient process than before. We had to meet far from both of our homes, while the store was still open. This went relatively smoothly, but obviously that's because NICS wasn't backlogged.

I guess I fared about as well as I could've.

When did the buyer hand you the money for the purchase, and why did you stay 45 minutes?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

When did the buyer hand you the money for the purchase, and why did you stay 45 minutes?  

Just waiting for them to finish up with other customers, filling out all the paperwork, ringing us up for the transfer, entering NICS info, waiting on NICS to get back... all in all took like 40-45 min. We left as soon as they were done. What else can I say....

Buyer paid transfer fee to gun shop when they asked, then paid me once he got his pink copy of the completed P2P.

Hmmm. As a seller, if the buyer was satisfied with the firearm, I would insist on the payment first, then turn the firearm over to the dealer. No need for me to hang out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

Hmmm. As a seller, if the buyer was satisfied with the firearm, I would insist on the payment first, then turn the firearm over to the dealer. No need for me to hang out.

Ya I agree in theory, but I'd kinda feel weird just bouncing. I guess technically I could've left if I was in a mad rush, but I just felt that I should stick around until everything was sorted out. I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to be as courteous as possible. This is a new process so it's not really clear what the etiquette is...

We've done some already... Took no longer then any other transfer.

Seller and buyer show up
Seller drops off gun Gets receipt and he's gone (can stay if they want,  most do not as no reason to)
Buyer continues as any other transfer...

So far been smooth as i expected.

• Like 1