stuckinNJ

Did the ban on private sales go into effect? What's the protocol now? What are gun shops charging? Does buyer or seller pay or is the fee split?

23 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

like like I've already said, if you have known someone for a long time, no way people are going to go through this. Also the wall wasn't set up the way that we're reading it here it was set up just to facilitate meaning there is no check in for the FFL. This should be nothing more than they are running the Knicks you're paying them that fee and then you and the buyer buyer or seller are transacting

Agreed. This new law is about making buyers go thru nics. We shouldn't have to do a ffl log in, just buyer/seller exchange coe's, ffl runs nics and gets his fee, nics # goes on coe- after approval done.

9 minutes ago, siderman said:

Agreed. This new law is about making buyers go thru nics. We shouldn't have to do a ffl log in, just buyer/seller exchange coe's, ffl runs nics and gets his fee, nics # goes on coe- after approval done.

Yes, only nics check required, nothing else. 

Steve... if a C&R long gun comes in, and you were transferring it to a FFL-03... NICS ran?

Or is it signed out of your book, and into the 03’s? Similar question for pistols, obviously with a pistol permit included.

Treated like any other firearm
  • Like 1

So, you run a NICS for all FFL transfers?

Trust me, not looking to start anything. Interested in the reasoning.

Sorry misunderstood I did not see the transferring to an ffl03 part. I thought cr to end user.

Have not come across that situation since the 03 thing is sorta newly accepted in Nj

I would cross that bridge when I have to. I would make a few calls to make sure what I’m doing is what should be done.. no more no less

2 hours ago, remixer said:

the vast majority of dealers will be treating this as a regular transfer  and fee schedule.  Some have stated they charge more since they have 2 people coming in to do the transfer.

1 Buyer and 1 Seller.

in regards to Nics wait times....     Same applies... If its a delay or they are slow.. you will have to wait and or come back..

Who pays for nics depends on the deal the buy and seller made... there is no law that states who pays.

Wow, that's some shitty business there. Even before it was mandatory, if I had need of going through an FFL to sell something, it wasn't hard to find one who would take it in for free and just charge the transfer fee on the way out. That's exactly what happens with transferring an on line purchase except it's some dude who shows up by appointment rather than the UPS guy whenever. 

Wow, that's some shitty business there. Even before it was mandatory, if I had need of going through an FFL to sell something, it wasn't hard to find one who would take it in for free and just charge the transfer fee on the way out. That's exactly what happens with transferring an on line purchase except it's some dude who shows up by appointment rather than the UPS guy whenever. 

What’s the shitty part. Charging more for ftf then regular. If so I agree it’s shitty and makes no sense.

My transfer fees are no different then any other online purchase.

NICS is not needed for FFL03 Federal or State, but his shop his rules. 
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yep, very aware. But since Paul died from NJ Arms, I got nobody else to call up and pick their brain...

Same reason why I ended up shipping my S&W 1006 slide to the gunsmith. Federally, there is a way to send a gun FFL to FFL... but I’m not getting jammed up having to go for a pistol permit to get it back. I will be checking the decocker timing this weekend... and if it isn’t right/easily fixed, I’m spending $90 each way to send it direct.

You ever hear back about yours?

Sorry misunderstood I did not see the transferring to an ffl03 part. I thought cr to end user.

Have not come across that situation since the 03 thing is sorta newly accepted in Nj

I would cross that bridge when I have to. I would make a few calls to make sure what I’m doing is what should be done.. no more no less

Roger that... kind of want to buy a C&R gun now to see.

Roger that... kind of want to buy a C&R gun now to see.

No I never heard anything back about first one. Nothing was charged. Second one is still sitting here. I got so busy with work I forgot about it. Going to deal with after this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For other dealers that charge on both ends it is shitty. Steve doesn't. His fees are the same.

8 minutes ago, remixer said:

What’s the shitty part. Charging more for ftf then regular. If so I agree it’s shitty and makes no sense.

My transfer fees are no different then any other online purchase.

Help me understand something, maybe it's obvious but ......I get that private sales now need a nics and thus the visit to a ffl. But why does the gun need to be logged in a charged a transfer fee? Is that part of the new law? Why can't the buyer/ seller just do coe's, ffl runs nics and that's that?

When did he die?

Did not know him but heard the name.

Couple months back... think beginning of June.

Was a really good guy. I used you a few times, but he was the first FFL I used after the BA fiasco, and then a guy at SS trying to get the money I already put down on a Davidson’s purchase. Was a notary, and worked with ScotShot with their permit class.

Went to you for my SP-01, because he really didn’t stock CZs.

capt14k... that’s nuts! Mine went through and arrived at my house a little over a month.

• Like 1

Help me understand something, maybe it's obvious but ......I get that private sales now need a nics and thus the visit to a ffl. But why does the gun need to be logged in a charged a transfer fee? Is that part of the new law? Why can't the buyer/ seller just do coe's, ffl runs nics and that's that?

Find an ffl that will run nics and oversea the transfer for the nics fee.

2 minutes ago, siderman said:

My 2 cents "smart-ass answer" is thus:  TIME IS MONEY!

Two Jamokes come into a brick & mortar FFL.  Heat or AC runs out the door.  Mud, snow, ice, dirt, salt tracks up office floor.  Neither brainiac has a pen between them to fill-out paperwork & they tie-up selling time for a pink card holder on the clock who can't answer the phone to check stock & give a price check to try to make a sale.

The NICS machine is just like an ATM.  Someone has to pay for the electric to run it, and it's not put there for your convenience, it's put there to MAKE MONEY FOR IT'S OWNER.  The same schmucks that think ATM's should be free to the user think NICS machines should be free to Jamokes.

Just sayen....

My 2 cents "smart-ass answer" is thus:  TIME IS MONEY!

Two Jamokes come into a brick & mortar FFL.  Heat or AC runs out the door.  Mud, snow, ice, dirt, salt tracks up office floor.  Neither brainiac has a pen between them to fill-out paperwork & they tie-up selling time for a pink card holder on the clock who can't answer the phone to check stock & give a price check to try to make a sale.

The NICS machine is just like an ATM.  Someone has to pay for the electric to run it, and it's not put there for your convenience, it's put there to MAKE MONEY FOR IT'S OWNER.  The same schmucks that think ATM's should be free to the user think NICS machines should be free to Jamokes.

Just sayen....

That’s the worst answer EVER.

But you are 100% correct.

BTW if nics was free we would still charge a transfer fee just no nics fee

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, remixer said:

I'm feelin' the love!  One of these days I need to stop-by with more Kosher pork products & check to see if you need brochures :) 

• Like 1

BTW if nics was free we would still charge a transfer fee just no nics fee

NICS is free in most States.

Actually NICS is free period. NJ NICS isn't. Neither is PICS but there it is only $2.

NICS is free in most States. 

Actually NICS is free period. NJ NICS isn't. Neither is PICS but there it is only $2.

Correct and ffl’s did not set up the pricing of nics.

Lots of things are free except in Nj

Couple months back... think beginning of June.

capt14k... that’s nuts! Mine went through and arrived at my house a little over a month.

That’s because they monitor his posts :)

That’s because they monitor his posts [emoji4]

Probably. Same thing happened with my NH CCW. First check and app lost. Never cashed. Second check and app arrived and CCW License sent. Still check never cashed. Both checks were not cashed.

If i'm not mistaken a few years back when this FTF thing came up it was written as the dealer was unable to add any transfer fee's. The response was no one will do those transfers then...  The actual new law did not include that.. they must have figured out the government cant tell a private company what they can charge for their services.. Just as i can tell my landscaper ill cover his gas for cutting my lawn.

If i'm not mistaken a few years back when this FTF thing came up it was written as the dealer was unable to add any transfer fee's. The response was no one will do those transfers then...  The actual new law did not include that.. they must have figured out the government cant tell a private company what they can charge for their services.. Just as i can tell my landscaper ill cover his gas for cutting my lawn.

CA put a limit on what they can charge

[mention=4929]Screwball[/mention]
question... why would you send a CR to a regular dealer if you have an FFL03 and are able to take it directly?

I thought NJSP overuled that even though they admitted the law allows for it.

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

CA put a limit on what they can charge

CA.... Great example LOL

Is the government limited the fee's allowed to be charged by a private company exactly how we ended up with the mess?

Over Reach is Over Reach.

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

I thought NJSP overuled that even though they admitted the law allows for it.

might have been for the reasons i states... no one will do them then

might have been for the reasons i states... no one will do them then

Not saying it is right just stating what they did. It is even worse for the government to infringe on law abiding citizens 2nd Amendment Rights by forcing them to go to FFL.