TheCrazyTuna

How much is a realistic amount to ask for?

Looking to see what a real asking price would be on my rifle? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Edit - I listed prices of what I have invested (not what I’m asking for each) 

BCM gunfighter lower

$395

BCM gunfighter mod 3 grip

$50

Gisselle Super 42 buffer and spring

$65

Timney skeltonized 3lb drop in trigger

$242

KNS hammer and trigger non rotating pins

$25

Magpul B.A.D lever

$20

Odin works gen 3 extended mag release

$20

ACE Skelton ARFX-E stock

$113

Upper Receiver 

BCM RECCE 16 Upper

Bcm 15” KMR ALPHA rail

$690

Bcm gunfighter medium charging handle

$85

Lantac Enhanced BCG

$270

VG6 Epsilon muzzlebrake

$70

Sights 

Eotech 512.65A

$375

Eotech G33 3x magnifier

$533

Backup sights 

MBUS PRO sight Rear 

$105

MBUS PRO sight Front 

$85

13- Hexmags 15/30

$130

Barrel cut and muzzle brake pinned and weld

$160

Pelican 1720 case

$212

if looking to sell, look at ar15.com for accurate pricing on secondary market.  Pricing seems to be most realistic there.  I will say right off the bat, no one is giving you 395 for a bcm lower

start at 25% less than prices posted and work your way up pending condition, usage and market availability

2 hours ago, TheCrazyTuna said:

Looking to see what a real asking price would be on my rifle? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

BCM gunfighter lower

$395

BCM gunfighter mod 3 grip

$50

Gisselle Super 42 buffer and spring

$65

Timney skeltonized 3lb drop in trigger

$242

KNS hammer and trigger non rotating pins

$25

Magpul B.A.D lever

$20

Odin works gen 3 extended mag release

$20

ACE Skelton ARFX-E stock

$113

Upper Receiver 

BCM RECCE 16 Upper

Bcm 15” KMR ALPHA rail

$690

Bcm gunfighter medium charging handle

$85

Lantac Enhanced BCG

$270

VG6 Epsilon muzzlebrake

$70

Sights 

Eotech 512.65A

$375

Eotech G33 3x magnifier

$533

Backup sights 

MBUS PRO sight Rear 

$105

MBUS PRO sight Front 

$85

13- Hexmags 15/30

$130

Barrel cut and muzzle brake pinned and weld

$160

Pelican 1720 case

$212

Welcome to the forum.

From what I understand BCM AR's are really solid, but I don't think you'll get anywhere near the $3000 you have invested when you resell.

If someone is going to spend that kind of coin they'll probably buy/build one to their own specs.

Maybe part it out?

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

if looking to sell, look at ar15.com for accurate pricing on secondary market.  Pricing seems to be most realistic there.  I will say right off the bat, no one is giving you 395 for a bcm lower

start at 25% less than prices posted and work your way up pending condition, usage and market availability

Sorry I don’t really know how to work forums all that well but the prices I listed are what I’ve paid and just looking for a realistic price point to be at considering all things to be considered 

4 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Welcome to the forum.

From what I understand BCM AR's are really solid, but I don't think you'll get anywhere near the $3000 you have invested when you resell.

If someone is going to spend that kind of coin they'll probably buy/build one to their own specs.

Maybe part it out?

I thought about parting it out. Any ideas where to do that online? My friend circle is rather small and smaller when it comes to gun owners within that circle

For someone like you (not a big circle of gun friends or contacts with gun clubs, forums, etc) I think a good choice would be to contact a gun shop and talk about putting it (or parts of it) on consignment.

http://www.howellgunworks.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Jim-Flynns-Truck-Repair-176047689108060/

http://www.davissport.com/index.cfm

39 minutes ago, TheCrazyTuna said:

Sorry I don’t really know how to work forums all that well but the prices I listed are what I’ve paid and just looking for a realistic price point to be at considering all things to be considered 

I thought about parting it out. Any ideas where to do that online? My friend circle is rather small and smaller when it comes to gun owners within that circle

I hear you

go to ar15.com and set up an account, much like here.  The EE (equipment exchange) is where you sell things.  Great resource to see the secondary market.  I do think you'd be better off selling either the upper or lower separately or even break it down further.  You will get more that way but then have to deal with meeting people or shipping.  pros and cons

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/

A used AR15 rifle, that is also a home build, is worthless to me.  I do not know who put it together, with what components and what skill level the builder is.  So, to me, I would not even make an offer.

People build their rifles to their particular tastes. You need to find someone that wants the exact rifle with the exact parts that you purchased to assemble if you want to get anywhere near what you put into it.

There are a lot of great parts in that gun, some are the same parts I would choose myself if building a carbine. But there are also some parts that I wouldn’t use because of personal preference and don’t want to pay premium prices for parts I don’t want. 

You’ll never get everything you put into it back - the market is just too saturated right now.

And you are asking way too much for used parts. You need to take 25%-33% off everything at a minimum. The only reason to buy from you versus buying new from say Brownells or Primary Arms is a fair and approproate discount for used parts. 

You’ll have to take a pretty steep discount to sell the rifle as a package.

As stated above, you’ll probably make the most money back by parting the gun out.

• Like 2

As others have said, your best bet is to either a) lower your prices significantly as suggested and part it out or b) put it on consignment at a shop that gets a good amount of traffic through it such as Howell Gun Works. You're going to take a bit of a financial hit either way based upon how saturated the market is right now. It basically depends on how much time and effort you want to spend actively managing your listing vs. giving putting it on consignment and waiting passively (for the most part) for it to sell.

Most people do not want to buy someone else's cobbled together parts build. 

I'd sell the complete upper and lower's separately as well as the eotech, magnifier, sights, and mags.

After everything is said and done, you'll probably make back 60% of what you paid.

If you were to sell the rifle complete with everything except the eotech and magnifier, I'd add it all up and subtract 30%. So if it adds up to 3 grand, price it at $2k and go from there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

People build their rifles to their particular tastes. You need to find someone that wants the exact rifle with the exact parts that you purchased to assemble if you want to get anywhere near what you put into it.

There are a lot of great parts in that gun, some are the same parts I would choose myself if building a carbine. But there are also some parts that I wouldn’t use because of personal preference and don’t want to pay premium prices for parts I don’t want. 

You’ll never get everything you put into it back - the market is just too saturated right now.

And you are asking way too much for used parts. You need to take 25%-33% off everything at a minimum. The only reason to buy from you versus buying new from say Brownells or Primary Arms is a fair and approproate discount for used parts. 

You’ll have to take a pretty steep discount to sell the rifle as a package.

As stated above, you’ll probably make the most money back by parting the gun out.

Yea I never made a forum post before probably should have been more descriptive in my text and state ( which I have now ) the listing of prices is what I paid not what I’m expecting. But like others have said probably the best idea is to part it out. I’ll figure out what people want to pay for the parts or maybe find that 1 person to actually buy it out. I had a couple kids in there 20s offer 1800-2200 but I didn’t sell because I had no idea what to expect. A buddy from Mass. wants me to wait until the new year for his bonus and offering 1900. Maybe that’s the best bet I don’t know. 

I have my ruger precision 6.5, savage 110 .338 lapua, tikka Tac A1 and this AR. The rest I’ll keep for now. I’m just trying to make room for the m82 and keep acquiring and not letting any go mainly because I don’t really know how, But thanks for the insight. I’m not really sure what a consignment is I’ll have to look into that. 

Considering the fact that you'd take such a hit on the gun, that it's put together from very good quality parts, and that it's your only AR...I'm pretty surprised nobody has recommended that you just keep the rifle.  The value will likely not decrease below what it's currently at.  I personally think that you're better off keeping the rifle, unless you absolutely never see yourself ever using an AR for anything....in which case I'd say you're making a mistake.

ETA:  This is coming from someone who was once in your shoes.  I used to buy guns I thought I wanted, and then sell guns for other guns that I thought I wanted.  Pretty much every gun owner can make use of a reliable AR.  Keep it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vjf915 said:

Considering the fact that you'd take such a hit on the gun, that it's put together from very good quality parts, and that it's your only AR...I'm pretty surprised nobody has recommended that you just keep the rifle.  The value will likely not decrease below what it's currently at.  I personally think that you're better off keeping the rifle, unless you absolutely never see yourself ever using an AR for anything....in which case I'd say you're making a mistake.

ETA:  This is coming from someone who was once in your shoes.  I used to buy guns I thought I wanted, and then sell guns for other guns that I thought I wanted.  Pretty much every gun owner can make use of a reliable AR.  Keep it.

I have 2 more a Barrett REC7 piston driven 5.56 and a Savage MSR-15 .224 Val. 

I want to keep it but I need to make room for a M82a1 I bought last week and don’t have the room in my safe. I have a 5 yr old  and the wife will lose it if it doesn’t get locked up 

13 minutes ago, TheCrazyTuna said:

I have 2 more a Barrett REC7 piston driven 5.56 and a Savage MSR-15 .224 Val. 

I want to keep it but I need to make room for a M82a1 I bought last week and don’t have the room in my safe. I have a 5 yr old  and the wife will lose it if it doesn’t get locked up 

Honestly, if you can afford an M82a1, you can probably afford a bigger safe.  I stand behind my original opinion.  Think of it this way, you're going to lose more in what you have invested in this gun than it would cost to buy a bigger safe.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Pic's or its just a fairy tale.

I guess it’ll be a fairy tale haha. I don’t know how to upload a photo less then 520kb. Regardless, I know what I have and have worked hard for what I do. If you ever see a 30yr old with a Green Iraq Vet hat and a battlefield cross on the forearm  and probably have a shemagh. on shooting on lane 1 or 2 only ( not aloud to shoot .50 on any other due to the backstop being lower ) at Range 14 ask if he’s the Tuna. I’ll let you shoot whatever I am that day if you want.... 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I don’t know what direction you have decided to go, but if you decide to break it up, I’ll buy the stripped lower. 

I actually listened to a couple people and decided to keep it. I went out and and bought a second safe since I acquired a Cmmg Mk47 this weekend. Just waiting for the safe to get to the house. I’ve only ever shot 1 round through that specific AR since I like doing long range shooting a bit more. So if I do decide to sell it I will come back to this post and message you. I flagged it in my email so I wouldn’t lose it.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 3:55 PM, Ray Ray said:

A used AR15 rifle, that is also a home build, is worthless to me.  I do not know who put it together, with what components and what skill level the builder is.  So, to me, I would not even make an offer.

Yeah gotta say I agree with Ray here.

For example, can anyone explain what makes this $395 lower receiver superior to the (literally) 8 Aero lowers I could get for the same price?

Also, so you paid $20 for a grip. Big whoop, once again why do I have to reimburse you for cosmetics when I could just buy whatever grip I want?

54 minutes ago, mossburger said:

Yeah gotta say I agree with Ray here.

For example, can anyone explain what makes this $395 lower receiver superior to the (literally) 8 Aero lowers I could get for the same price?

Also, so you paid $20 for a grip. Big whoop, once again why do I have to reimburse you for cosmetics when I could just buy whatever grip I want?

I’m so glad you feel that way, made my Friday! <3

I’m so glad you feel that way, made my Friday!

Don’t listen to some of these boneheads. You at least listed the parts. Who built what and greased who to install in who’s butt is ridiculous. I, not so long, sold 2 ARs that ran me $2G, for $800 so I can get one that I wanted. Took quite a loss. [emoji846]

If I saw the post early on, I would have told you just get another safe and keep it which you did. By your not so intentional brag, you obviously got good and expensive taste with the bux to back it up. [emoji16]

So, as mentioned, you did list parts. Whether parting out or selling as a whole, is immaterial. Quite a lot of us built guns and know what to look for. Nobody expects to buy a gun sight unseen and would be foolish if they did unless they knew the gun and the owners practices.

Over the years, people busted my balls because I keep my weapons pristine and clean after each use. Hell, the Marines told me I was more asinine then they were about cleaning my guns. That to me was a very big compliment.[emoji106][emoji2532]

Point I’m making, someone saying they don’t know where who’s butt the gun was in, could easily know upon inspection and could, if need be, correct or improve any wrongs on the gun unless badly damage which would also depict any good or bad price points. [emoji16]

Cheers! [emoji481][emoji631]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Don’t listen to some of these boneheads. You at least listed the parts. Who built what and greased who to install in who’s butt is ridiculous. I, not so long, sold 2 ARs that ran me $2G, for $800 so I can get one that I wanted. Took quite a loss. emoji846.png

If I saw the post early on, I would have told you just get another safe and keep it which you did. By your not so intentional brag, you obviously got good and expensive taste with the bux to back it up. emoji16.png

So, as mentioned, you did list parts. Whether parting out or selling as a whole, is immaterial. Quite a lot of us built guns and know what to look for. Nobody expects to buy a gun sight unseen and would be foolish if they did unless they knew the gun and the owners practices.

Over the years, people busted my balls because I keep my weapons pristine and clean after each use. Hell, the Marines told me I was more asinine then they were about cleaning my guns. That to me was a very big compliment.emoji106.pngemoji2532.png

Point I’m making, someone saying they don’t know where who’s butt the gun was in, could easily know upon inspection and could, if need be, correct or improve any wrongs on the gun unless badly damage which would also depict any good or bad price points. emoji16.png

Cheers! emoji481.pngemoji631.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No really, though.

I get it, a lot of people bought this stuff back in 08 when Obama was frontrunner and .22lr ammo being in stock was an urban legend. Or maybe they bought one post Sandy Hook panic.

Fact of the matter. Fact, not opinion. This stuff has absolutely tanked in price over the last couple years, and most of the arguments for superior quality are also null and void as most manufacturers have significantly upped their quality.

Its a buyer's market, like it or not. And just because you paid X amount for something, simply does not guarantee that it will stay that price - for any product.

1 hour ago, TheCrazyTuna said:

I never once asked anyone to buy anything.. I stated I wanted a number that would be realistic. So that would be opinions. 

Relax, it’s not your money or rifle. 

I know, and I gave you my opinion.