gleninjersey

PUTTING UP CHAIN LINK FENCE

I'm thinking of putting up chain link fence to secure back yard for our new dog and have questions.  I'm sure others have probably done this so thought I would ask some questions.

It's not a big lot at all and neighbor behind me already has wood fence and neighbor on one side has a chain link fence.  So I really only need to do one side of yard and then connect to house and gates.

So here are the questions:

Do I need to hire survey company to mark property line on the one side I'm going to put up fence?  How much does it costs?

As fence is already up behind me how feasible/ realistic is it for me to run line from end on that fence to corner near beginning of my backyard? Neighbor on the side I would be putting up fence and I have driveways that meet at bottom near road but at top of driveway there are railroad ties in ground separating our driveways and thin strip of grass on my side.  Their side is all driveway surrounded by railway ties in ground.  This pretty clearly delineates property boundary.  Biggest concern is I'm wrong or off a few inches and a new neighbor moves in and finds post are a couple inches on their property.  This happened when I was a kid and my father had to move fence like 4 inches because new people moved in next door and we hated each other.

Next question.  Where to buy fence.   Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, a direct fencing company? 

Also for those that have done chain link, did you go with plain metal or ones with plastic coating covering the chain? Does plastic coating hold up or just fall apart after few years?

Thanks in advance for any (helpful) input.  

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Do I need to hire survey company to mark property line on the one side I'm going to put up fence?  How much does it costs?

Do you have the survey when you bought the house? Go look in your closing papers folder. Some of those barriers and fences might show on it. Alternatively, some surveyors install small concrete markers at the corners of the property or possible steel posts. If you have those, you can figure out where your property line is. If you have to get a new survey, it could cost a few hundred.

Also for those that have done chain link, did you go with plain metal or ones with plastic coating covering the chain? Does plastic coating hold up or just fall apart after few years?

The new vinyl coated posts and chain link hold up well and look nicer. It comes down to the visual and your budget and matching or complementing your neighbor's fence.

Where to buy fence.   Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, a direct fencing company? 

Depends on the color (if you go vinyl), as you'll need all the different posts, parts and connectors in the same color. A local fence company will help get all the necessary parts and pieces together, if you're not sure what you'll need. Will save an emergency trip to HD or Lowes in the middle of the project.

20 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Do you have the survey when you bought the house? Go look in your closing papers folder. Some of those barriers and fences might show on it. Alternatively, some surveyors install small concrete markers at the corners of the property or possible steel posts. If you have those, you can figure out where your property line is. If you have to get a new survey, it could cost a few hundred.

In addition to this advice above, check your local ordinances, too. Most municipalities will have a fence ordinance.... and sometimes they have strange little quirks. Like in my town, a fence of 4 ft or less in height can be placed right smack up to the property line, but if the fence is even 1 inch taller than 4 ft, then it requires a certain "setback" distance from the property line. And a fence of any height requires an even greater setback distance from a neighboring structure (presumably so your fence doesn't interfere with your neighbor's ability to do maintenance on their house or shed). And don't assume since your neighbor has a certain fence type/placement, you can do the same... the ordinance may have changed and their older fence was grandfathered in. Better to research and know all of that ahead of time before you start plunking your money down. Your town clerk can point you to the right ordinance - many are online now.

8 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

In addition to this advice above, check your local ordinances, too. Most municipalities will have a fence ordinance.... and sometimes they have strange little quirks. Like in my town

Very true, my town too.

I wanted to move my fence (a 6 ft vinyl) over on my property and had to apply for a variance, even though it was within the set-back. Took months of dicking around with the town, going to the nighttime council meeting, sending surveys, photos and specs to the town, and describing my plan to the committee, hiring the town attorney, sending letters to all the neighbors and close to $1000, just to get the town to say "yes, you can move your fence on YOUR property."

16 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

In addition to this advice above, check your local ordinances, too. Most municipalities will have a fence ordinance.... and sometimes they have strange little quirks. Like in my town, a fence of 4 ft or less in height can be placed right smack up to the property line, but if the fence is even 1 inch taller than 4 ft, then it requires a certain "setback" distance from the property line. And a fence of any height requires an even greater setback distance from a neighboring structure (presumably so your fence doesn't interfere with your neighbor's ability to do maintenance on their house or shed). And don't assume since your neighbor has a certain fence type/placement, you can do the same... the ordinance may have changed and their older fence was grandfathered in. Better to research and know all of that ahead of time before you start plunking your money down. Your town clerk can point you to the right ordinance - many are online now.

this is very true

The other part of this equation is .... how well do you know your neighbors?  Are they going to care if you fence it off?

If you all get along well, and the neighbors don't care...you have your answer.

ALSO IMPORTANT.....are your utilities - phone, electric, etc - above ground or buried?  If they're buried, you will NEED to get them out to mark were they are located so you don't cut their lines while digging or driving the fenceposts.  Otherwise, its your fault if you hit their lines!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Utilities all above ground.

Can't be. Water, sewer and gas are underground. Power, cable and phone could be overhead.

A utility locator will come out and mark the ground for all hidden utilities.

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Can't be. Water, sewer and gas are underground. Power, cable and phone could be overhead.

A utility locator will come out and mark the ground for all hidden utilities.

Well, Septic, Propane or Oil. AHA!

On a serious note, call in for them to mark out any utilities. You never know...

• Like 1

Snioer22, that's crazy! $1k to move something already on your property!? 

As this is only one side of the yard, as two other neighbors already have fences, it should only be a few hundred dollars for me to put up.  I'm not spending $1k to build a $500 chain link fence.  If I had to guess it, It's prob 50 feet long and then 15 feet or so to house.  And 15 feet or so on other  on other side to close off from fence already along that fence line.  So about 80 - 100 linear feet max.

We've been here almost 13 years now.  Any property stakes are long gone.  I vaguely recall a metal stake or piece of rebar near back fence in corner.

Township emailed back last night with proper area to call.  Will give them a call today.

28 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

As this is only one side of the yard, as two other neighbors already have fences, it should only be a few hundred dollars for me to put up.  I'm not spending $1k to build a $500 chain link fence.  If I had to guess it, It's prob 50 feet long and then 15 feet or so to house.  And 15 feet or so on other  on other side to close off from fence already along that fence line.  So about 80 - 100 linear feet max.

We've been here almost 13 years now.  Any property stakes are long gone.  I vaguely recall a metal stake or piece of rebar near back fence in corner.

Township emailed back last night with proper area to call.  Will give them a call today.

Your town may have a copy of your survey in their records, it’s worth asking before spending bucks on a new survey. 

• Like 1

Honestly I'm thinking about just talking to my neighbor and saying, "I'm thinking about putting up a chain link fence from end of my back neighbor's fence to here (grassy area on my property few inches away from their railroad ties separating our driveways). That cool?"

Will get proper permits from town of course.  And call utility company mark anything 

• Like 1

Or maybe I'll do invisibke electric dog fence.  But I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I like throwing ball around backyard with him to exercise him.  Backyard isn't that big and if set up invisible fence to start zapping him five feet from it he's going to be getting zapped often.  And that's just cruel and stupid.  And invisible electric fence wouldnt be much less exoensive than chain link fence on the one side that doesn't have fence.

Or maybe It's time to move.  We've been here almost 13 years now.  Find new house with fence and a basement I can finish! Current house built early 1900s and basement is dungeon like with maybe six foot ceiling.  I could use a man cave.  Dog and I can live there. Females (wife and two daughters) get rest of house.  Lol.

3 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Honestly I'm thinking about just talking to my neighbor and saying, "I'm thinking about putting up a chain link fence from end of my back neighbor's fence to here (grassy area on my property few inches away from their railroad ties separating our driveways). That cool?"

Will get proper permits from town of course.  And call utility company mark anything 

The only problem with that is if that neighbor moves and the new person is a dick. If the fence is on their side by an inch you could be taking it down to move it

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Yeah, that's the last time I ask for "permission" in this fricken town, now I just do what I want, and will ask for "forgiveness" if caught.

That's a great idea. Maybe he has a copy of his survey, it will show your/his property line and you can hopefully agree on where the line is, then just move a few inches towards your side to be safe.

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I vaguely recall a metal stake or piece of rebar near back fence in corner.

That's usually what they used, pieces of rebar. Try searching at least one out. That would give you a starting point. Got a metal detector?

Will get proper permits from town of course. 

Tread carefully there, you saw what it cost me.... If you and your neighbor agree on the line, I would just do it.

Or maybe I'll do invisibke electric dog fence.  But I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I've had both, I prefer the real fence, then the dog always knows where the boundary is.

I could use a man cave.  Dog and I can live there. Females (wife and two daughters) get rest of house.  Lol.

Lol, sounds like my house. I get the garage (sometimes) and my office, she gets everything else....  the things we do for marriage... :(

• Like 1