Greenday

5.56 bolt actions?

9 hours ago, Greenday said:

What's really the advantage of using a bi-pod over a bench rest?

***  Portability.  It's attached to the rifle so it's easy to pick up and go.  For me, practicality as well as I don't forsee being in a gunfight from a rest.  

And as for a muzzle brake/compensator, any suggestions? Not much results out there for the 5.56 Ranch.

***  If you have 1/2-28 threads, any brake/comp/flash hider will work.  Pick one and go with it.  

• Like 1

@Greenday IMO due to the lack of recoil with a 223/5.56 the only time a brake or comp is worth having is when you're in some type of timed competition.  Then only if you're a primo shooter who is trying to shave those tenths of a second off a string.  Most people are not in this category.  It also makes it uncomfortable for people shooting to either side of you at times.  Spend time learning how to work that bolt fast without taking the rifle from your shoulder. You'll never be as fast as a semiauto.

A flash suppressor is useful if you intend to do combat in low light conditions.  It does nothing to suppress your muzzle flash from what you're shooting at.  It saves your night vision.  A valid purpose on a SD gun.

You can put whatever you want on the muzzle of your rifle just because you want to.  I'd think you'd be better served using the money for ammo for practice to shoot better.

I'd get a bipod though.  A little extra weight to the rifle but a lot of benefit.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 10:39 AM, Greenday said:

Muzzle brake? Someone suggested one yesterday.

And what's the difference between a lot of the bipods?

No, it’s not necessary and a compensator makes more noise. 

No, it’s not necessary and a compensator makes more noise.

Yea, some muzzle devices will give a big [emoji867] to the guys on your right and left. If you see one that has huge ports, like something that would be on a tank/artillery gun... it likely is going to make some noise.

Good thing with a bolt action... if you hate it, can easily swap it (judging you aren’t using it to get to 16”).

Bipods, I used to think they weren’t needed, until I started investing into my Remington. $1,000+ scope... do you really want to lay it on the bench/ground? Plus, you can still use them on bags... folder or deployed. A lot of benefit, and only real issue is cost.

Good book on that stuff is the Long Range Shooting Handbook. Gives a lot of background on shooting, written by a former Army Ranger sniper. A good chunk of the costs for the book is donated to military charities, so it is a decent purchase.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Yea, some muzzle devices will give a big emoji867.png to the guys on your right and left. If you see one that has huge ports, like something that would be on a tank/artillery gun... it likely is going to make some noise.

Good thing with a bolt action... if you hate it, can easily swap it (judging you aren’t using it to get to 16”).

Bipods, I used to think they weren’t needed, until I started investing into my Remington. $1,000+ scope... do you really want to lay it on the bench/ground? Plus, you can still use them on bags... folder or deployed. A lot of benefit, and only real issue is cost.

Good book on that stuff is the Long Range Shooting Handbook. Gives a lot of background on shooting, written by a former Army Ranger sniper. A good chunk of the costs for the book is donated to military charities, so it is a decent purchase.

Practice practicality.. @Bully  @High Exposure

But I think that means prone probably @GRIZ