Since I live in NJ, is it possible at all anywhere in the books to own a supressor/muffler for a pistol or they are just plain illegal in ALL cases? Be nice to do some shooting on my friend's land and not have ear muffs on. I had no idea you had to go through an FFL just to get a suppressor. I could probably give the specs to a machine shop and have them actually make one for me. :)

4 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

Since I live in NJ, is it possible at all anywhere in the books to own a supressor/muffler for a pistol or they are just plain illegal in ALL cases? Be nice to do some shooting on my friend's land and not have ear muffs on. I had no idea you had to go through an FFL just to get a suppressor. I could probably give the specs to a machine shop and have them actually make one for me. :)

They are illegal. 

I'm sure someone will tell you that they are illegal "UNLESS..." but basically, for the vast majority of NJ residents, they are illegal.  They are also federally regulated.  Trust me, you don't want to go to a machine shop and have them make one for you without ALL of the proper paperwork regardless of what state you live in.  

Best of luck if you decide to proceed.

• Like 1

They are illegal. 
I'm sure someone will tell you that they are illegal "UNLESS..." but basically, for the vast majority of NJ residents, they are illegal.  They are also federally regulated.  Trust me, you don't want to go to a machine shop and have them make one for you without ALL of the proper paperwork regardless of what state you live in.  
Best of luck if you decide to proceed.
Read this twice OP

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hope OP meant like doing a trust in PA or somewhere, as a method of legal ownership, where the part would reside in Pa after going through the proper channels and $200 stamp. Not sure that route would work, dunno what the laws on trusts are, if a resident of a different state can apply through one, etc. I know something changed recently about them, but didn't pay much attention. Never researched, because if it is remotely fun, you cannot have it in NJ.

But yeah, in NJ, pretend no such thing exists, because you are not getting one. Pretty sure most machine shops would probably call the cops on you for asking, and if you are found to have one you made yourself or otherwise obtained, well, I would not want to be you for the next few years. Jail is no fun, and you can go there in NJ.

Even under a trust it can only be transported to states where it is legal to own.  So if you have a valid PA trust and acquire NFA items, suppressor in this example, you still cannot bring it to Nj.  

2 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Even under a trust it can only be transported to states where it is legal to own.  So if you have a valid PA trust and acquire NFA items, suppressor in this example, you still cannot bring it to Nj.  

This is correct. I would add that to transport a Title II item which you or your trust legally own, you must notify the ATF prior to transporting it out of the state in which it is titled. And that includes telling them where it's going and the time frame it will be there.

OP: I suggest you read up on acquiring Title II items, or speak at length to a Class 3 FFL. While it's perfectly doable given the right circumstances, there are multiple requirements leading to acquisition, and more serious requirements afterwards.

• Like 1

Amazing. Silencer shop makes it easy but if it’s illegal then that’s what it is. No silencer for me. And the main reason I wanted one was for better hearing protection, but NJ doesn’t care about ear damage to anyone. Yea they make good ear muffs but even when I wear them I wish it was quieter. I have very sensitive ears, eyes, nose for some reason. Maybe I’ll see if they make much better ear muffs. Using an $80 pair now that I got from Amazon. 

Of course, because NJ considers us all assassins, and the only thing stopping all of us mall ninja assassins from murdering our way across the state is the fact that suppressors are illegal.

@MichaelDiggs You may want to invest in both soft foam in-ear plugs, and over-ear muffs, if you are that sensitive.  Especially if you shoot indoors.  It'll be difficult to carry on a conversation at the range (unless you get electronic noise cancelling muffs) doubled up, but if done right, might provide ~60dB reduction, while the better single solutions are only around 33-34dB.

We can all hope for hearing protection act, though it looks DOA, and would still be ignored by NJ anyway.  But damn, would I love to have cans on a few of my guns...

• Like 1