70gto

Quit smoking help please

well after many failed attempts, the worst thing I ever did was pick up a cigarette. I enjoy with coffee or dinner the rest is pure habit, any suggestions from former smokers here? I really want to stop. Please no lectures on dangers etc, I know already. thanks

• Like 1

Cold turkey. Everything else is just prolonging it. When you get a craving think/do something else for a few minutes and it goes away. I haven't smoked in 7 or 8 years and I still get cravings. I honestly didn't even want to quit, my wife wanted me to. It was mind over matter, nothing else. 

• Like 4

After smoking for 20 yrs and trying all different ways to quit, including hypnotism, I finally did it cold turkey. I just picked a day and said this is the day I'm going to quit. I sat at home that day and read a book for hours ignoring all urges and mentally blocking out all the associations and triggers. By the second day my urge to smoke was already gone. By the end of the week I felt like I never smoked. That was 13 yrs ago. I never touched a cigarette again.

• Like 4

I tried everything: the patch, gum, hypnosis, etc. None of it worked. What finally did it for me was that my wife (who quit via hypnosis) refused to kiss me because "I smelled like an ashtray". I had to do it cold turkey, just tough it out for a few weeks. It gets easier, especially if you lay off the booze the first few weeks. 

• Like 1

Vape worked well for me. Smoked for 26 years- Marlboro red. Did a little research online, ordered a vape pen and some juice. Been over five years now. Still enjoy the vape when I'm having a few cocktails. I know it's not good for me, but waaaay better than smoking and I don't smell like an ashtray

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Chantx.

You night have some vivid dreams while you’re on it. 

Lmao a buddy of mine was on chaantix, he was standing in the kitchen and just took his pants off, when we were like WTF are you doing he said I dont know. lol

vaping low dosages can cut the edge off the first few weeks but you have to be committed to quitting, or you will just end up vaping. 

2 minutes ago, Brisco said:

Vape worked well for me. Smoked for 26 years- Marlboro red. Did a little research online, ordered a vape pen and some juice. Been over five years now. Still enjoy the vape when I'm having a few cocktails. I know it's not good for me, but waaaay better than smoking and I don't smell like an ashtray

This is what worked for me. The wife was a major driving factor too.

I got a wounded officers support group I have to goto but i promise , this is the most important post i ever wrote, i look forward to any and all advice when i get back. Thanks fellas I REALLY APRRECIATE it.

Crazy thing was I didnt start smoking well into my 20's. I know stupid right I was working construction in NYC, stressed out grabbed one and that was it.

I agree with the above for quitting cold turkey.  Ive been cigarette free for exactly 13 months now with no turning back.  After over 15 years of smoking, it was hard as hell to do but so worth it.  Life changing experience and it made me feel like I could do anything.

Just woke up one morning and made a strong willed decision to quit for my family.  Cut the first craving, the second, third, and kept chugging until days, weeks, then months passed by.  

Once the first month is down, it gets easier and easier...  just understand that the withdrawl symptoms can get pretty intense (migraines, anger, body aches, etc...) but remember that its temporary and worth the fight.

Most important factor is not giving into any excuses your mind might be telling you to sneak a harmless smoke.  All it takes is one slip up and you're back to square one.

Good luck bud.  You can absolutely do it.

edit;  ive also tried vaping (for several years) but in all honesty you're still committing yourself to the nicotine addiction and the cravings will never stop.  

Mind over matter.

• Like 3

Cold turkey. That and what worked for me also was becoming a homebound hermit for a month or so. No going out with the guys, partys, even bars and restaurants (back then you could still smoke in 'em...and get cigs out of the machine in Pathmark for 80 cents lol). Its a mind game and you have to really want it, to me the all the substitutes is slow torture. And think how much money you'll save. Seriously- add it up and use that as an incentive to reward yourself with a prize down the road. Good luck!

• Like 3

Quit cold turkey in 86, best decision in my life.

No long story from me, just go back and read InFamous and Fatty’s posts, they hit the nail on the head.

Good luck, don’t expect it to be easy, it’s the toughest battle you’re likely to ever have - your opponent being yourself....

I’d like to tell you the urge to smoke goes away in a few weeks - not true, could take at least a year.

About 30 days into quitting smoking, you’ll be coughing up grey slugs of goop, that’s your lungs clearing up - it’s a good thing.

Good luck (luck won’t help, this is real work). Keep us posted, come back and tell us how your making out. Be honest, again your opponent is yourself.

• Like 2

I agree with others, cold turkey. It will be 1 year since I had my last cigarette on Nov 1. I also quit for almost 5 uears about 10 years ago. And both times, only cold turkey worked. I tried everything, patch, chantix, gum, vape, and nothing helped. And to be honest, people telling you to quit only makes it worse.

The only way I have been able to quit is cold turkey, and by wanting to quit. There is a big difference between wanting to quit and thinking you want to quit because your wife, kids, friends, etc... talked you into it. You need to really want to quit!

• Like 6

A friends father was told to volunteer at a cancer hospital for a few hours, that made him quit cold turkey, I was never a heavy smoker, but also went cold turkey as someine else said mind over matter if you can do it.. willpower.

whatever you choose best of luck and good choice.

• Like 1

Never smoked myself, but my old man was able to quit via hypnosis about 25 years ago. He says it wasn’t actually “hypnosis,” more like he went to a cigarette shrink for a few weeks and he weened himself off in the process. Has never had a craving since. 

As others have mentioned, hypnosis didn’t work for them, so your mileage my vary. Without personal experience to draw on, I would agree with most here that cold turkey is probably the best way to attempt it. I would think it essentially just comes down to your commitment to the cause.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.  

Man this is gonna suck, but its worth it, quit date will be tues, tues because I work that day and thats 8 hours of no smoking even if I wanted too. so a forced cold turkey head start. I promise to let you guys know even when I mess up. It will keep me honest and admitting screwing up will be harder in front of an audience.  from now till then I do a pack a day thats 20. I got a few days and cut it down to 15 then cold turkey from there. I really appreciate the responses and advice. Hard part is going to be driving thats the ultimate habit, get in the car and light up. Gentlemen I know its up to me but the encouragement helps. 

Well at least I can put the money saved towards a truck payment.

• Like 3

Good luck bro. Cold turkey is the way to go - studies show it has the most durable effect. It takes the average Joe about 6 tries to successfully quit.

You need to get in a mindset of exerting control over cigarettes. If you can smoke one less a day, that is a start. If you can take one out, and then wait 5 minutes before smoking it, that's also good. You have to start proving to yourself that you are in control.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fatty said:

^ This.  As a smoker, you never realize how much it stinks until you're on the opposite end...

I still can't get the stench out of my car completely, even after cleaning all th upholstry twice, including the headliner.

35 year smoker here.  Tried everything so far. I know cold turkey sounds easy, but believe me it’s not. 

As of a month ago I have been cutting down daily. It’s a fight but sooo sick of smelling like smoke and ashes everywhere and my breathe.  Not to mention the $$. 

Good luck brother !  It’s gonna be a battle but you can do it !  I’m engaged in the same battle as are many of us. 

• Like 1

You will not stop smoking until you want to stop smoking.

When you do want to stop, for real, you will exercise your free will and simply stop.

I am an ex-smoker. This was my simple analysis. Nothing and no one could make me light up the next cigarette, except me.

I will say I mimicked the hand-to-mouth habit urge with swizzle sticks for a couple years. Especially at bars. Eventually that too passed.

In the end I realized that my smoking was a complete habit, and not an addiction. I do not conclude it's the same for everyone else. But I suspect.

• Like 2

I failed multiple times with cold turkey. After a trip to the Emergency Room with a bad asthma attack, I used patches and gum. At that time patches were on prescription so you had to see a physician who tapered you off them. I also chewed on Stimudent toothpicks.  The first week was hell but succeeded (1992). I was a 2 pack a day Malboro red smoker for 25 years before that.

If you can do it, it will be the best decision you will ever make!!!  Also, every failed quit attempt puts you closer to succeeding. The experts will tell you this. Just don't give up whether it's Chantix, cold turkey, patches or whatever...keep on trying and will succeed.

• Like 1