70gto

Quit smoking help please

Got a buddy who vapes, but I dont want to do that, its like decaf coffee. I tried this like 5 times to quit, Wish I had the will power to just have one at night ,but you know thats not happening. Hey sincerely for what its worth I do appreciate this, not trying to make a federal case out of it, but I needed to hear from others who been there done that

Like I said earlier and a couple others have reinforced. Distraction is your best bet to overcome urges. It's going to be different for everyone what will successfully distract you away from the urge but it works. I believe the scientific or w/e BS theory is 5 minutes of distraction and the urge goes away. 

true when working etc, I dont think about it, when i get stressed out bang, somone once told me it forces you to take a few minute break from the madness, amazing what one does to justify it. Too bad everything I like is bad for you. Smoking guns fastcars motorcycles women, all will kill you eventually. Haha

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 70gto said:

Got a buddy who vapes, but I dont want to do that, its like decaf coffee.

Guaranteed, with 100% certainty: they will find out some day that vaping has horrific long-term side effects. Lung tissue is fragile and doesn't want to be fumigated with volatile chemicals. These folks are going to show an increased incidence of pulmonary fibrosis 20 years down the road.

Don't put anything in your lungs but air.

Cold Turkey! Smoked 2 packs Marlboro red for 25 years, I used coffee stirrers about 16 years ago. Still had cravings for about 2 years.

quit cold turkey.  Calculate how much you spend on cigarettes per week.  Total up how much that is and plan a great vacation with your savings.  Print out the pictures of your destination spot and put it up in the house where you and your wife can see it, talk about it, plan for it and get excited about it.  Then be excited that you'll be able to walk around on your vacation without stinking, wheezing or having to stop to smoke all the time!  Good luck dude!

I quit 2 packs of newport's a day about 9 years ago. I used the gum and patch at the same time. First I weened my self off the patch then the gum. Much easier than when I quit cold Turkey a few years before. 

Also I was told that the physical addiction to nicotine only last 21 days then it's out of your system after that it's just a mental addiction. Don't know if that's true but it helped me. I kept telling my self it's just mental and it's all in my head. I also ate a ton of wintergreen tic tacs. I still eat them like crazy today but they are way better for me than cigarettes. 

Since pretty much all of my coworkers smoke I'm around it all the time and sometimes I still want one but I'll never have one again because I can't just have one. 

• Like 2

Cinnamon helps too, whether it be cinnamon gum, mints, hell I have even heard of people chewing on cinnamon sticks. It gives you that "burn" sensation like you get when you're smoking. I constantly had cinnamon mints on me after I first quit. To this day I still have mints on me at all times, they're just not cinnamon. 

I didn't see this post earlier but here's my story anyway.

I am 75 and started to smoke at age 8. Once in a while my buddy from the neighborhood would sneak a pack of his parents cigs.

They were chain smokers and never missed a pack here and there. 

I started regularly at about 12 years old. Bought my own and smoked 'em.

At 16 I was allowed to smoke by my parents. From there I smoked 1-2 packs a day until I had an experience with a close friends drug addiction. He had finally hit bottom and asked for help.  I helped get him into a good rehab facility and he got clean. He's still clean almost twenty years later.

As to my smoking, I tried many times (too many to count) Gum, gradual  tapering off and cold turkey. Over a couple of months I would get down to two a day. Easy. Easy because I new tomorrow morning or tonight I could have another. Never could get to zero.

My own self esteem got me to quit. "Do I have the will power to do this?" I asked myself. Yes. I had to prove to myself I could do it. After all, my friend had quit crack and all the rest. Well it has been eighteen years now and I still get the urge now and then but it only lasts a few seconds. I don't want to think of myself as weak.

If you really want to quit it is not impossible. But you really have to want to do it.

• Like 2