Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

Maryland laws on semi-auto rifles?

I'm considering taking an Appleseed course in Maryland next month.  Haven't decided yet which rifle I'll use, but it will likely either be a 10/22 or an AR.  I'd only take 10 rd mags for either rifle.

Any "gotchas" I need to watch out for transporting into and possessing in MD?  Anything that MD has that is more restrictive than NJ?

The MSP list is rather extensive: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

"A person may not transport an assault weapon into Maryland for target competition unless the person lawfully possesses, has a purchase order for, or applied to purchase the weapon before October 1, 2013. Federal law allows a person to transport a firearm through Maryland but not to Maryland if the firearm is not in compliance with state law."

When it comes to AR's, they are pretty specific that the barrel matches an "HBAR" contour and/or should be marked as such. 

PS - I'd call and check with the MSP first.  

This:

4) If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

and below are less restrictive than NJ:

Colt Banned Enumerated in Statute 10/1/2013

Colt Banned Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon 8/31/2016

Colt Banned Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon. 9/9/2016

Colt Banned Copy of an enumerated weapon 2/28/2018

Colt Banned Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon. 2/28/2018

Colt Not Banned Not Regulated By Statute 4/29/2015
Not cosmetically similar to an enumberated firearm and not a copycat weapon

Colt Not Banned Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list 4/16/2015

Colt Not Banned Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list 4/16/2015

Colt Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 9/11/2017

Colt Not Banned

Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon

Then again, I can't see how this makes any sense:

Stag Arms Banned Copy of the Colt AR15 5/5/2014

Stag Arms Banned Copy of an enumerated weapon 7/12/2017

Stag Arms Not Banned Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list 7/9/2015

Stag Arms Not Banned Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list 7/16/2015

Stag Arms Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 12/19/2017
HEAVY BARREL VERSION

Stag Arms Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy, or enumerated weapon in statute