MartyZ

Hornady reloading parts rusting

Anyone know how to keep Hornady reloading parts from rusting? I'm having a problem now with the powder drop rotor and insert rusting. All my dies and other steel parts are oiled so they are protected from rust but I can't oil the rotor or insert because of the rubber o-ring and the fact that powder would get stuck to the oil. Any ideas on how to prevent the rust?

Keep in a dry location?

Otherwise, Hornady recommends cleaning all parts in Hornady gun cleaner/lube. You would probably have to do that every month or so to keep rust at bay.

Surface rust is not exclusive to Hornady.

11 hours ago, kman said:

Could try Johnson's Floor Wax.  It dries dry.

I don't know if I want to use any type of wax, could contaminate the powder. I just got a few of those plastic water proof parts boxes with the rubber seal from HD, hopefully that will work to keep the rust away, now I just need to remove the rust that is already there.

The funny thing is that none of my Lee dies or metal accessories ever rusted.

So I too, have this issue. I use the Hornady one shot dry lube. Otherwise the rust is inevitable, even in my basement with a dehumidifier going non stop.

I run a bunch of graphite through my powder drop before each use. Collect and recycle it.

I pay little attention to the surface rust that has already formed. 

I've got an old rotor with surface rust. It still worked fine after a hundred thousand rounds or so. The big problem was the plastic tube coming unglued and the casting voids in it hornady wouldn't warranty fro some reason. Got a new one a few years ago with the baffle and other accessories. The patina of surface rust isn't going to make it not work. 

19 hours ago, MartyZ said:

I know that it should not have a functional impact but I am very anal, I have had the hornady setup for less than a year and it's already rusting.

Then be anal. disassemble at the end of each use, coat it in cosmoline, degrease it thoroughly before each use. If you are super anal, it is about the journey to have it your way, not practicality. 

Long term there's nothing that will work well without costing you time or causing you problems.