JMich3

Selling 15 rounders

On 10/20/2018 at 8:55 AM, JMich3 said:

I have 3 mags for the VP9 . I was quoted 25 bucks to pin them. I already bought a bunch of ten rounders so it’s not worth 75 bucks to pin 3 mags i don’t need. 1 of them has never even been used

Do they specify how the pinning is done? I'm no gunsmith, but have been working with tools all my life. If I knew just what was going to pass muster, I'd be "pinning" mags for several handguns that don't seem to have reasonably priced 10 rounders. Between the drill press and other stationary tools, plus all the regular ones I use for furniture building and carpentry I'm confident I could do it if I had a little guidance on what Johnny Law would be okay with.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

Do they specify how the pinning is done? I

Just as a FYI, companies have been selling "NJ compliant" 15 round mags for years that have removable base plates and removable blockers, and no one had said they weren't legal.

I'm confident I could do it if I had a little guidance on what Johnny Law would be okay with.

and that's the issue, what is considered "permanent". You get as many opinions as people who respond.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

Do they specify how the pinning is done? I'm no gunsmith, but have been working with tools all my life. If I knew just what was going to pass muster, I'd be "pinning" mags for several handguns that don't seem to have reasonably priced 10 rounders. Between the drill press and other stationary tools, plus all the regular ones I use for furniture building and carpentry I'm confident I could do it if I had a little guidance on what Johnny Law would be okay with.

I’m quite sure i could do the actual pinning myself too, I’m just real worried about what they consider pinned correctly. Not to mention that I’d be worried about the law being definitive enough that there may be different interpretations from different LEOs. Even if in the end you can prove your right I’d be willing to bet it would be expensive and a pain in the ass to do so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Not to mention that I’d be worried about the law being definitive enough that there may be different interpretations from different LEOs.

and that's the biggest issue. Based on reports here, many LEOs don't even know of the new law, much less the penalties for it.

My suggestion, if you're really concerned. Do what ever minimum you need to do (blocker, roll pin, piece of wood) that limits the number of rounds the mag holds to 10. If you ever get asked (which would be slim to none), you might be asked to show that you only can get 10 into the mag. They won't check to see what method you used to block them.

Sniper and Mich, you BOTH hit the nail on the head. It almost seems they WANT to keep it vague.

I have seen the magblock items, and would go for those if I was sure I wouldn't have to worry about it being accepted. Heck, at around 6 bucks each, it's cheap enough, especially if we ever get the 10 round bull repealed. It's bad enuff that we were stuck with the 15 limit.

Just now, Sniper22 said:

and that's the biggest issue. Based on reports here, many LEOs don't even know of the new law, much less the penalties for it.

Must suggestion, if you're really concerned. Do what ever minimum you need to do (blocker, roll pin, piece of wood) that limits the number of rounds the mag holds to 10. If you ever get asked (which would be slim to none), you might be asked to show that you only can get 10 into the mag. They won't check to see what method you used to block them.

From your mouth to the judges ears! 

• Like 1

I have seen the magblock items, and would go for those if I was sure I wouldn't have to worry about it being accepted.

They have been accepted for 15 rounds for years.

3 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Problem is the mag blocks aren’t permanent and that word is in the law. How it’s enforced, your guess is as good as mine

Neither were any others the past years. I believe if you made a "good faith" effort to block them to 10, a LEO or judge wouldn't take the time to prosecute you. They have way bigger fish to fry on the docket.

12 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

especially if we ever get the 10 round bull repealed.

even a better reason to use the magblocks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Problem is the mag blocks aren’t permanent and that word is in the law. How it’s enforced, your guess is as good as mine

My guess is based on paranoia! :o  I have put up too long with the B.S. in New Jerksey to want to get caught up in something even Evan Nappen hasn't had luck dealing with.

5 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

They have been accepted for 15 rounds for years.

Neither were any others the past years. I believe if you made a "good faith" effort to block them to 10, a LEO or judge wouldn't take the time to prosecute you. They have way bigger fish to fry on the docket.

even a better reason to use the magblocks.

I like how you think. On the other hand, if they want to, a few little fish make for a decent meal just as well as a 6 pound trout.

I am just thinking, with pistol mags alone for just now, rifle mags are a different story. But most pistol mags are metal with plastic base plates, correct? In those situations I see no problem of using a block, wood, plastic, whatever, and epoxy the base plate on. If the law ever changes (fat chance) or you move to america, you can always rip off the plastic baseplate, clean off the metal, and buy a new base plate. No drilling, no pinning, no ruining your magazine. But technically you would have to destroy the base plate to reverse making it a "permanent" change and should pass muster.

49 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

My guess is based on paranoia!

Ding Ding Ding... you win the Internet today!!

50 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

I have put up too long with the B.S. in New Jerksey to want to get caught up in something even Evan Nappen hasn't had luck dealing with.

Here's the thing, how may people have gotten busted for 15+ mags in the last decade or two? Think anyone has been using 15+ mags those years?

51 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

I like how you think. On the other hand, if they want to, a few little fish make for a decent meal just as well as a 6 pound trout.

Don't you think if that was important, they would have been doing that regularly for the past decade? Guess what, they haven't.

I think you have a better chance getting hit by lightening then being hooked up and taken away for having a 15+ mags.

I'll go one step further and bet $1,000. that you can go to the range during Christmas break and see a bunch of guys shooting with 15 round mags at different ranges. Anyone want to take that bet?

2 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Ding Ding Ding... you win the Internet today!!

Here's the thing, how may people have gotten busted for 15+ mags in the last decade or two? Think anyone has been using 15+ mags those years?

Don't you think if that was important, they would have been doing that regularly for the past decade? Guess what, they haven't.

I think you have a better chance getting hit by lightening then being hooked up and taken away for having a 15+ mags.

I'll go one step further and bet $1,000. that you can go to the range during Christmas break and see a bunch of guys shooting with 15 round mags at different ranges. Anyone want to take that bet?

The last decade or two have been 15 round limits already. If you mean 15+ mags to be 20 or 30 round ones, I have to admit I haven't heard of busts, but absence of awareness isn't quite the same as it not happening.

No, I won't take that bet, you do make a good point.

On the other hand, I don't stand outside with a golf club in a thunderstorm. ( I don't own a golf club either, btw. ;)  )

Yes, I am relatively sure that if there were people getting charged with excess round magazine usage we probably would have heard of it by now. Point #2 in your favor.

I'll admit to being a little bit of a scaredy cat in this instance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

The last decade or two have been 15 round limits already. If you mean 15+ mags to be 20 or 30 round ones, I have to admit I haven't heard of busts, but absence of awareness isn't quite the same as it not happening.

Yes, more than 15.

Case in point, there are tons of 15/20 and 15/30 mags in use that were blocked. Has anyone heard of someone being challenged by a LEO to prove they were restricted, since on the outside they look like a 20 or 30? I haven't heard or seen any stories regarding that.

Plus, I know some people who moved in New Germany with their Freedom mags (30 rounders) from a different state that have used them. Nobody, including ROs have said anything.

7 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

On the other hand, I don't stand outside with a golf club in a thunderstorm. ( I don't own a golf club either, btw. ;)  )

OK, how about standing out in the storm with your metal AR15 in your hand. Will you get hit by lightening? :)

8 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

I'll admit to being a little bit of a scaredy cat in this instance.

Understandable, but I think a few here on this site need to come out from under their beds. The black SUVs aren't waiting to kick in their doors and search their houses for 15 round mags.

No, I won't take that bet, you do make a good point.

Crap... I was looking to make some easy money.... darn... :)

Anyone else want to take that bet?

50 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Yes, more than 15.

Case in point, there are tons of 15/20 and 15/30 mags in use that were blocked. Has anyone heard of someone being challenged by a LEO to prove they were restricted, since on the outside they look like a 20 or 30? I haven't heard or seen any stories regarding that.

Plus, I know some people who moved in New Germany with their Freedom mags (30 rounders) from a different state that have used them. Nobody, including ROs have said anything.

OK, how about standing out in the storm with your metal AR15 in your hand. Will you get hit by lightening? :)

Understandable, but I think a few here on this site need to come out from under their beds. The black SUVs aren't waiting to kick in their doors and search their houses for 15 round mags.

Crap... I was looking to make some easy money.... darn... :)

Anyone else want to take that bet?

Hey, who says I have a metal AR15? Mine is 3D printer plastic, including the pointy thingies that come out of it! :D

Forget the bet, woudja settle for letting a fellow enthusiast buy ya lunch one day soon?

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 6:56 PM, MartyZ said:

It seams to me that 10 rounders are more expensive than standard mags due to a "captured audience", so to speak. 

That AND the intended buyer lives in a state that generally has a higher payed citizen.