slickskin

FID card eligibility

Hi, I've been considering applying for an FID card. I want to know if I'm eligible or not beforehand though. I know they make you sign a mental health release. Do they need to talk to your primary doctor?  Where exactly do they get these records from and how much is in them? The problem is I currently am prescribed medication to take for social anxiety, day to day stress, and to sleep and I also see a psychologist because I was in bad relationships. It's confusing because on the question because the way it's worded I don't know if they ask about stuff like that or only if I've been to a mental hospital, which I certainly haven't. Do they want to check out the other people that live in your household also?

Read your question again. You need to get off those meds and get your life in order before you ever consider owning a gun. That should be your first priority. Have you talked about this with your family?

• Like 2

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sts-033.pdf

https://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

In regards to the investigation, read the second form. It states that it is done to verify the information you give on the application.

Now, read the first form, and carefully look over questions 21 through 26. Nobody here can answer these for you, but be clear with the use of “or” in that question. Any questions, probably worth a call to the NJSP Firearms Unit for clarification... but you can also ask the doctor treating you, since he is more familiar with your history.

“Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition? If yes, give the name and location of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the date(s) of such occurrence.”

Is social anxiety a mental/psychiatric condition? If so, you have to put yes on the application, and give the doctor treating you. Not doing so, you are committing a third degree crime, as mentioned below where your signature goes. A yes answer doesn’t mean you aren’t getting the FID, but it will be investigated to confirm you aren’t a danger to yourself or others.

Sorry if that isn’t the answer you want, but asking us whether or not you’ll get the FID is not something we can really answer.

If you are denied, and get things squared away to reapply, you will have to note you were denied on question 27, with dates. Also, question 26 is a question that covers your entire life. Even if in a year you stop seeing your doctor and everything is going great, you still must answer yes and give his info. Again, falsifying an application is a crime... and if you list it as a no when it should have been yes... you definitely are not getting a FID.

• Like 2

Big bus or widdle bus?

What grade are you in?

Big bus... [emoji41]

Me? Guess would be going into 17th... when I get into CBP. Want to get my Masters out of the way when I’m up in Maine.

Girlfriend’s six year old daughter... smart asses. [emoji23] She’s in kindergarten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Big bus... emoji41.png

Me? Guess would be going into 17th... when I get into CBP. Want to get my Masters out of the way when I’m up in Maine.

Girlfriend’s six year old daughter... smart asses. emoji23.png She’s in kindergarten.

CBP?   Custom Border Patrol?

CBP?   Custom Border Patrol?

Customs and Border Protection. Parent agency that Border Patrol is within.

I took the CBP job instead of Border Patrol. Similar, but more of Customs over patrolling the border.

Border Patrol gave me 8 stations to choice two (was told I’d get one of the two). Problem was they were in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn’t a diabetic, would have went down there. But for the NM one I kind of liked (Lordsburg), it is about 2.5 hours to El Paso... so a single doctor appointment would have been 5+ hours.

Other two I considered were Eagle Pass and Carrizo Springs (both Texas)... which were around an hour from San Antonio. But the doctors for it (endocrinologists) are crappy... highest rated was three out of five stars, and was out of Houston.

Houlton is about an hour from Bangor, and multiple good doctors to choose from. Snow sucks, but I’m just stuck there for 3 years... if I want the 25% pay increase.

FLETC is in April, so I do have a few other applications out if I get something better (actually would like the non-L/E position with ATF that I applied for). If not, it’s still a very good job that gets me out of NJ.

Just now, Screwball said:

Customs and Border Protection. Parent agency that Border Patrol is within.

I took the CBP job instead of Border Patrol. Similar, but more of Customs over patrolling the border.

Border Patrol gave me 8 stations to choice two (was told I’d get one of the two). Problem was they were in the middle of nowhere. If I wasn’t a diabetic, would have went down there. But for the NM one I kind of liked (Lordsburg), it is about 2.5 hours to El Paso... so a single doctor appointment would have been 5+ hours.

Other two I considered were Eagle Pass and Carrizo Springs (both Texas)... which were around an hour from San Antonio. But the doctors for it (endocrinologists) are crappy... highest rated was three out of five stars, and was out of Houston.

Houlton is about an hour from Bangor, and multiple good doctors to choose from. Snow sucks, but I’m just stuck there for 3 years... if I want the 25% pay increase.

FLETC is in April, so I do have a few other applications out if I get something better (actually would like the non-L/E position with ATF that I applied for). If not, it’s still a very good job that gets me out of NJ.

OK we need you down south not up north.... We are being invaded.

• Like 1

OK we need you down south not up north.... We are being invaded.

Hey... day after I took the position, Canada legalized weed. [emoji107] I already know how much worse it is going to be with every moron coming back over with some.

I would have loved to have gone south, but there was no changing it. If they considered the issue (healthcare is a big reason for me to take/not take the job) and gave me something closer to El Paso... even if it cut the distance in half... I would have.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, slickskin said:

Hi, I've been considering applying for an FID card. I want to know if I'm eligible or not beforehand though. I know they make you sign a mental health release. Do they need to talk to your primary doctor?  Where exactly do they get these records from and how much is in them? The problem is I currently am prescribed medication to take for social anxiety, day to day stress, and to sleep and I also see a psychologist because I was in bad relationships. It's confusing because on the question because the way it's worded I don't know if they ask about stuff like that or only if I've been to a mental hospital, which I certainly haven't. Do they want to check out the other people that live in your household also?

I dunno budd, ck back here in a couple months again 

8 hours ago, 9X19 said:

Read your question again. You need to get off those meds and get your life in order before you ever consider owning a gun. That should be your first priority. Have you talked about this with your family?

Oh it is in order. The pills help me hold a job and do things I need to do in life. In every other situation this is private and discrimination is illegal. Nobody here was ever on medication or talked to a shrink at some point in their lives? Everyone is only human lol.

8 hours ago, Screwball said:

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sts-033.pdf

https://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

In regards to the investigation, read the second form. It states that it is done to verify the information you give on the application.

Now, read the first form, and carefully look over questions 21 through 26. Nobody here can answer these for you, but be clear with the use of “or” in that question. Any questions, probably worth a call to the NJSP Firearms Unit for clarification... but you can also ask the doctor treating you, since he is more familiar with your history.

“Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition? If yes, give the name and location of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the date(s) of such occurrence.”

Is social anxiety a mental/psychiatric condition? If so, you have to put yes on the application, and give the doctor treating you. Not doing so, you are committing a third degree crime, as mentioned below where your signature goes. A yes answer doesn’t mean you aren’t getting the FID, but it will be investigated to confirm you aren’t a danger to yourself or others.

Sorry if that isn’t the answer you want, but asking us whether or not you’ll get the FID is not something we can really answer.

If you are denied, and get things squared away to reapply, you will have to note you were denied on question 27, with dates. Also, question 26 is a question that covers your entire life. Even if in a year you stop seeing your doctor and everything is going great, you still must answer yes and give his info. Again, falsifying an application is a crime... and if you list it as a no when it should have been yes... you definitely are not getting a FID.

It's alright if the answers aren't ones I want to hear. That's why I'm asking so I know if I'm eligible before applying. If it's really that much of a problem that I take medication for anxiety and talk to someone about how I was in a relationship that didn't go well than it's disappointing but yes it's not the end of the world. I can wait until I move to another state where I would pass a background check easily and not be discriminated against or need to sign forms for my private medical file to be released.

If anything they should be more concerned about people that DON'T get treatment if they've ever been in a rough time lol. Silly New Jersey haha. 

Just now, Zeke said:

Nope, other states care about your mental health also. Remember, we are here for you

They care about commitments to mental institutions and you don't have to get a FID card/permit to purchase weapons in most states through your police department. Private medical records that you obtain on your own shouldn't make it to the NICS database.

Even in this state the question on that form is still misunderstood and I haven't found a clear answer. The way I'm reading it, have you ever been treated in a hospital or mental institution?... not by your family practitioner in a private practice that you asked for and paid for an appointment. 

Maybe I don't even want the FID card since I think this process is unconstitutional and against the hippa act. And even if you do pass it and aren't denied arbitrarily you have all these restrictions and other loopholes to take weapons away at any time where maybe as someone said it's easier and safer to avoid legal problems to just to have other hobbies in this particular state. 

It's alright if the answers aren't ones I want to hear. That's why I'm asking so I know if I'm eligible before applying. If it's really that much of a problem that I take medication for anxiety and talk to someone about how I was in a relationship that didn't go well than it's disappointing but yes it's not the end of the world. I can wait until I move to another state where I would pass a background check easily and not be discriminated against or need to sign forms for my private medical file to be released.
If anything they should be more concerned about people that DON'T get treatment if they've ever been in a rough time lol. Silly New Jersey haha.

It is more because of the stigma behind it. Me, personally... I don’t trust anyone less because of it (like you said, rather them get help than it progressing further). But for 10,000 people that just talk, you get that one person that shoots up a school... which is similar to generalizing that guns cause crime.

But again, eligibility is hard to answer. I never heard of someone being denied, for a specific reason. I would think a good report from your doctor would be an ok for it to be approved. Only issue is that each time you go for another pistol permit or a change of address... you have to go through that again.

I would take a copy of the application to him next time you see him and ask. I’m sure he likely had it come up at least once before. You’ll get a better answer than most of us can give here.

9 minutes ago, Screwball said:

It is more because of the stigma behind it. Me, personally... I don’t trust anyone less because of it (like you said, rather them get help than it progressing further). But for 10,000 people that just talk, you get that one person that shoots up a school... which is similar to generalizing that guns cause crime.

But again, eligibility is hard to answer. I never heard of someone being denied, for a specific reason. I would think a good report from your doctor would be an ok for it to be approved. Only issue is that each time you go for another pistol permit or a change of address... you have to go through that again.

I would take a copy of the application to him next time you see him and ask. I’m sure he likely had it come up at least once before. You’ll get a better answer than most of us can give here.

I did actually bring it up with my doctor the last time I had a check up saying I might want to apply for this and there was a question about treatment. He said he doesn't think it would be a problem but admitted he doesn't have an FID card and doesn't know what the process entails. He said that even though he thinks I'm harmless he doesn't sign forms like that for liability and personal reasons and that people don't need a gun anyway. So it's like yeah I could see another doctor for an evaluation if asked for one and hire a lawyer and appeal it but it's like I'm busy and don't have time for all that lol.

Yeah there's always going to be some bad apples but I feel that doesn't mean they should ruin the right for everyone or everyone that arouses even the slightest bit of suspicion.

There is a quote by Benjamin Franklin that "those who sacrifice  liberty for security deserve neither." But I guess the state of NJ already made their choice in voting for someone who promised to increase gun control in an already heavily restricted state.

Well, they need to talk to your doctor... as he is treating you. If that’s what he said, maybe skip it.

Again, don’t know what they ask them. But if he said he wouldn’t sign off because of that view, there’s your answer.

So, if you wanted to go into law enforcement, he wouldn’t sign off because you’d have to carry a gun? Seems like a nice guy. Don’t say that to discourage you from seeing him, but that just shocks me that being in a position like that, he could possibly be the deciding factor on his patients’ rights.

6 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Well, they need to talk to your doctor... as he is treating you. If that’s what he said, maybe skip it.

Again, don’t know what they ask them. But if he said he wouldn’t sign off because of that view, there’s your answer.

So, if you wanted to go into law enforcement, he wouldn’t sign off because you’d have to carry a gun? Seems like a nice guy. Don’t say that to discourage you from seeing him, but that just shocks me that being in a position like that, he could possibly be the deciding factor on his patients’ rights.

I think most doctor's wouldn't sign fill out these forms for liability reasons because if there was a problem they wouldn't want it on their conscience or possibly get in some kind of trouble. He probably is a democrat. But I don't blame him. He's entitled to his opinion and I don't feel he's obligated to do anything he doesn't want to. I blame the process of needing an FID Card and how much leeway they have in denying one. You use the word "right" but clearly it isn't if you need a permit which you can be denied for at their discretion.  

But it's just the unfairness that bothers me. If I have to prove that I'm not mentally unstable to own weapons than everyone in all 50 states should also whether they ever had some kind of medical treatment or not. And someone really is determined to be mentally unstable than perhaps they shouldn't even be free or be allowed to do other things like drive a car, own knives and tools, household products that could be used as poison, and do a million other things that can be potentially dangerous haha.

Well, it is a question on the 4473... but a little more specific. It specifically asks if you were labeled “mentally defective” or committed. But at least it has more “what if” scenarios to allow people more people to answer no to it.

Like I said, I don’t know exactly what is asked. If they just ask if you are a danger to yourself/others or should you be allowed to possess firearms are two questions that your doctor would answer differently... if he even would.

Maybe a call to the NJSP wouldn’t be bad. Explain his personal view, and how you are concerned that his view against firearms could result in a denial. It’s an honest question, and considering they specifically ask for a consent form for that subject... they might be able to answer it for you.

18 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Well, it is a question on the 4473... but a little more specific. It specifically asks if you were labeled “mentally defective” or committed. But at least it has more “what if” scenarios to allow people more people to answer no to it.

Like I said, I don’t know exactly what is asked. If they just ask if you are a danger to yourself/others or should you be allowed to possess firearms are two questions that your doctor would answer differently... if he even would.

Maybe a call to the NJSP wouldn’t be bad. Explain his personal view, and how you are concerned that his view against firearms could result in a denial. It’s an honest question, and considering they specifically ask for a consent form for that subject... they might be able to answer it for you.

Yeah that question on the 4473 I'd be able to answer honestly and unmistakably as no which is why it would seem like many people that aren't eligible in the state of NJ or who would be questioned would be fine in most other states where it's just a nics background check.

• Like 2