slickskin

FID card eligibility

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

No, they don't talk to your GP. How would they even know who they were? There's no database of such a thing for the police to search. Same with therapists. Unless you've been court ordered to a mental institution, there's no record for them to find.

No, they don't talk to people you live with (Which is scary because they should tbh). They ask for two references and that's it.

The references thing is also annoying. There is one friend I have who I'm comfortable asking but for other people there's stigma to it and they might not want to be bothered. That seems like discrimination on people that don't have a ton of friends also lol.

That is good to know though about the GP. Yeah that's what I thought. Frankly it is none of their business and they should only be concerned with court ordered commitments. In that case I'd actually agree maybe they shouldn't own guns anyway haha, but that's different.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

A motor vehicle is a pretty damn efficient killing machine... and well, they don't talk to people you know before letting you drive a car! Look at the statistics... and you'll see that killings by legal gun owners are statistically rare. So I recommend you not spend any more time being concerned about things that rarely happen. 

Interesting fact, you're almost exactly as likely to die from a lightning strike as you are from a CCW holder shooting you... and only slightly more likely  that ANY legal gun owner kills you. It's just an uncommon event. So, my thoughts are... why ratchet up even more scrutiny/bureaucracy when it's such a statistical non-issue to begin with? It would make more sense to focus on better predictive analysis to determine which felons might re-offend, the creation of robust parole officer ranks, etc. Focus on where the lion's share of crime actually originates!

There must be like 20 steaks knives in my kitchen and a chainsaw in the garage that I didn't need a stupid FID card or mental health records or even a background check for lol. But I guess complaining about how it's stupid doesn't change the system. All that can be done is either play the game and try to meet the requirements or move to a better state. :/

I would love to just move since I hate NJ anyway but don't really have a good job opportunity somewhere else right now.