Bully

Does Anyone on Here Build Their Own Knives?

I've bought blade blanks and put hilt and scales on them a few times but I don't have any pics and I gave them all away for Christmas gifts. Actually I think I still have one somewhere, I'll see if i can dig it out and snap a pic. 

It is something I have always wanted to try, but have yet to do so.  A friend has talked about doing something like this, and has offered to let me join in, so I may do so sometime.  Until then, I have my eye on some blanks and just never get around to ordering.  I have some ideas for scales and whatnot that I would love to use if/when I finally do get around to it.

i am interested in this and have been looking for some kind of anvil to get the process going.  As another poster said, I think that they would make some nice gifts.  

On 2/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, vjf915 said:

I don't, but I went through training with a guy who makes and sells knives.  Very talented, and a great guy.

https://www.eleecustomknives.com/

I've been looking at the classes that Theo Rocknazz has in Brooklyn.  Seems pretty neat and relatively speaking, reasonable, given how long the classes are and how cool the final product is.  

On 2/3/2019 at 8:54 AM, carl_g said:

I’m a Forged and Fire Champion. My blades cut and they will keeeeeel. 

Not sure if you’re joking or not but I really like watching that show.  Found it accidentally a year ago.  Doubt I’d ever be able to make the time to be able to properly forge a blade of any kind, but it looks pretty interesting.

9 hours ago, Ouchthathurts said:

I play around with it. Do my own heat treat. I'm not good at it but it's a fun way to kill a Saturday.  These were my first 2. Stock removal, did own heat treat with a propane forge and a toaster oven. 1095 high carbon, throws Sparks so about 56-60 Rockwell.20160216_215450.thumb.jpg.b58ece4378f83b17450243c6bbd18a65.jpg20160123_121932.thumb.jpg.d8fa5e5e3af29dd38f074d3dbee6f283.jpg20160207_151416.thumb.jpg.488fc98b42f1b93e40c0bf0693cc7d47.jpg20160305_123735.thumb.jpg.b5c1da124d36c527ae1437272b97e40e.jpg

Those look awesome!  Thank you for sharing.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 3:55 PM, Underdog said:

i am interested in this and have been looking for some kind of anvil to get the process going.  As another poster said, I think that they would make some nice gifts.  

If you want to get started stock removal is easier and cheaper. Just make sure you by the steel that has been preground flat so you don't have to mess around trying to true it up. If it's not perfectly flat it can warp bad during heat treat. 

At admiral steel it's called precision ground.  1975 to 1095 and O1 tool steel will be the most forgiving to hear treat. 

You can buy everything you need except the forge at harbor freight really cheap. Angle grinder,  1x30 belt sander, files and lots and lots of sand paper and you're good to go. 

You can make your own forge really easy with junkyard scrap parts. Brake drum, old grill and a bit of iron pipe with a cheap hair dryer and you're good to go. 

I'll see if I can find my pics of my dirt forge to show you how little you need to get started...it was a trench in my yard with steel pipe under the coal and a hairdryer. 

29 minutes ago, Ouchthathurts said:

If you want to get started stock removal is easier and cheaper. Just make sure you by the steel that has been preground flat so you don't have to mess around trying to true it up. If it's not perfectly flat it can warp bad during heat treat. 

At admiral steel it's called precision ground.  1975 to 1095 and O1 tool steel will be the most forgiving to hear treat. 

You can buy everything you need except the forge at harbor freight really cheap. Angle grinder,  1x30 belt sander, files and lots and lots of sand paper and you're good to go. 

You can make your own forge really easy with junkyard scrap parts. Brake drum, old grill and a bit of iron pipe with a cheap hair dryer and you're good to go. 

I'll see if I can find my pics of my dirt forge to show you how little you need to get started...it was a trench in my yard with steel pipe under the coal and a hairdryer. 

I have pretty much everything I need to get started.  

Building knives has taken a bit of a back seat lately.  Buying other stuff at the moment.

9 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I wish there was a company in NJ where you could go and make one with them instructing you, etc..

That would be fun.  Kind of like a Paint-and-Sip, for guys.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I wish there was a company in NJ where you could go and make one with them instructing you, etc..

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

That would be fun.  Kind of like a Paint-and-Sip, for guys.

Theo Rocknazz in BKLYN seems to be the closest.  He builds some pretty impressive stuff.  

7 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

the more I think of this, this could be a nice little business opportunity

You should look into a Murray Carter apprentice program. Hes a big name in the knife making world (im a chef and have about 13 chef knives from various makers)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

the more I think of this, this could be a nice little business opportunity

Just need to find a spot that is cheap, and will allow lots of fire and noise.  

• Like 2