Purple Patrick

Fried chicken joint discussion

Best Jersey fried chicken places, go!

I've gone to a few places off recommendations and all have left me pretty disappointed

I have to say dollar for dollar Popeye' s knocks it out of the park. Spicy 5 wing combo I could eat all day

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

My local ACME market has some damn fine fried chicken!!! Better than I’ve had anywhere else locally. 

I have to agree here. Wife does too and that matters more!  3 mins away, often on sale, sometimes free Coke, grab some slaw and gtg.

• Like 1

Tbh the best fried chicken ive had is the hood ass spot that rents a store from my father up in Newark. Gives me the shits like 75% of the time but on extremely lengthy/crappy days its a great way to chill out when its over. Lmao

7 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Tbh the best fried chicken ive had is the hood ass spot that rents a store from my father up in Newark. Gives me the shits like 75% of the time but on extremely lengthy/crappy days its a great way to chill out when its over. Lmao

What's it called?

Kennedy's in Plainfield.....It's to die for. (wink wink)

Popeye's is hit or miss.

Used to be a Chicken Holiday in Red Bank, it was the best fried chicken because it was the only fried chicken before it burned down in 1976.

Cluck U, Eatontown.

Chicken Kitchen, Shrewsbury.

Cluck U is pretty good.

There used to be a place called “Chicken and Rib Crib” in Hoboken. Dunno if it’s still there, but man the food was good.

“Wings Over Rutgers” in New Brunswick is amazing if you are looking for wings or tenders. Their sauces and dry rubs are freaking out of this world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redlines said:

Amish market in Flemmington.

Try the bacon, egg, and cheese wrapped in pretzel dough. So Fing good! The donuts are good also........and the meats........and, well pretty much everything is good there. I miss that place. 

Best fried chicken in NJ is in Cape May and you have to wear pants (dress shorts allowed) to eat it!  Worth every penny; I think they make it with CRACK, lol!

The Magnolia Room at The Chalfonte Hotel in Cape May.  June-September ONLY.  Sit-down, linen service.  No air conditioning.  NO SHORTS allowed.  Need a reservation!  Made by the same black family for over 3/4 of a century!  

It's a National landmark, a wedding & family reunion venue, a restaurant, a bar, and so much MORE...

photo-1682.jpg

The Magnolia Room's daily dining service will resume Monday, June 4th through Friday, September 7th, 2018.

A Family Tradition

Download our Menu

Acclaimed for her skill as well as her spirit, the late Miss Helen Dickerson presided over the Magnolia Room kitchen for more than 60 years, serving “soul food with its Sunday clothes on.” Helen’s Southern fried chicken was featured on the Food Network show Tyler’s Ultimate and The Phil Donahue Show.

Dot Burton lovingly worked side by side with her mother, Helen and sister, Lucille, for more than 50 years. Dot’s laughter still echoes throughout the kitchen as the chicken simmers and her handmade breakfast biscuits rise.

Today Lucille with Dot’s daughter, Tina Bowser, both continue to honor the family legacy of culinary excellence. Our restaurant patrons have enjoyed Helen, Dot, & Lucille’s recipes for over 75 years.

The Magnolia Room serves breakfast and dinner daily in season (May through September) and offers the following dining options:

• Breakfast buffet from 8:30-11 a.m at the cost of $12.00 for adults and children (ten and under) $6.00 (+ tax).
  • Dinner is served starting at 5:30 p.m. with a three course prix fix menu at $39.00 or a la carte options. A children’s menu is also offered.
  • Sunday Supper Buffet starts at 5:30 p.m. at the cost of $29.95 for adults and $15.00 for children.

Our veranda on a summer evening is the outstanding dinner location in Cape May. Open to the public. There is a full bar on premise.

Dinner reservations recommended: (609) 884-8409

King Edward Bar Chalfonte Hotel Cape May NJ

This legendary hangout is an intimate place where locals and guests mingle over domestic & imported beers, fine wines, and classic cocktails.

Open daily from 3 p.m. in season.

Dining at the Chalfonte hotel

• Like 2

Best Wings in NJ is my buddies' joint, Manville Pizza and Restaurant Est. 1969 on 31 S. Main St. in Manville, NJ.

Owned by a NRA Benefactor Life Member & CNJFO sponsor Anthony D'Aniello.  Yes, you might even bump into some famous faces chowin'-down on their pizza, dinners OR wings!  Curtis Sliwa & his Guardian Angels paid a visit!  This place is the home of the CNJFO Annual Wing-Ding & Pizza Party fundraiser.  Guys from Southern Ocean Co. & Bergen Co. came to eat his wings & pizza!  He made 500 wings just for us!

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing

Image may contain: food and indoor

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bhunted said:

Chicken Galore in Fair Lawn in Broadway. Get a lot for your money and family owned. Much better than franchise crap.
http://www.chicken-galore.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. My buddy's family owned a Chicken Galore in Kearny. I think it's still there. I wonder if it's owned by his family also. Great fried chicken and french fries.

Interesting. My buddy's family owned a Chicken Galore in Kearny. I think it's still there. I wonder if it's owned by his family also. Great fried chicken and french fries.

Believe same family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Smokin .50 - I commend your food choices! I've gone to Manville Pizza since I was a kid - particularly fond of their Sicilian pies.

And the Chalfont Hotel in Cape May is The Bomb! A step back in time AND a fantastic kitchen. I've gotten their little newsletter for years now. Here's an interesting tip for anyone who doesn't mind an honest day's work: the Chalfont hosts 2 weekends a year for upkeep on that grand old building. Ideally, they love to see people with trades/related skills - plumbers, painters, master gardeners, etc. You give 10 hours of volunteer labor - and they put you up and feed you for the weekend. If you have those skills and enjoy taking an active role in preserving historic architecture, it could make for a fun, free weekend trip. Here's the link: http://www.chalfonte.com/employment.html 

I don't know if they're full or not, but it seems they have an upcoming work weekend Nov 2-4 if anyone's interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

@Smokin .50 - I commend your food choices! I've gone to Manville Pizza since I was a kid - particularly fond of their Sicilian pies.

And the Chalfont Hotel in Cape May is The Bomb! A step back in time AND a fantastic kitchen. I've gotten their little newsletter for years now. Here's an interesting tip for anyone who doesn't mind an honest day's work: the Chalfont hosts 2 weekends a year for upkeep on that grand old building. Ideally, they love to see people with trades/related skills - plumbers, painters, master gardeners, etc. You give 10 hours of volunteer labor - and they put you up and feed you for the weekend. If you have those skills and enjoy taking an active role in preserving historic architecture, it could make for a fun, free weekend trip. Here's the link: http://www.chalfonte.com/employment.html 

I don't know if they're full or not, but it seems they have an upcoming work weekend Nov 2-4 if anyone's interested.

Thanks Peel!  I forgot about their volunteer weekends.  I think they have one in May too, when paint can dry better :) 

Take care & see you all soon!  Love & hugs!

Rosey